Xonar Essence STX questions, please help!
Jan 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

audiogamer

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm looking into ordering an xonar essence stx as I just got brainwavz hm5s and want them to sound great. So here are my questions:

1. Does the card have a front panel connection that is amplified?

2. I have a cheap set of 2.1 speakers that I use when i'm not listening to music through the headphones. They have a basic 3.5mm plug. Is there any way I can hook these up to the card as well?

3. If I can hook the 2.1 speakers up, does the card have an auto-mute when I plug headphones into the front panel or into the back of the card?

4. In the future, i'm going to purchase a nice set of 2.0 bookshelf speakers to hook up to the card. I'm assuming they would hook up to the RCA plugs in the back of the card, is the correct (or would I be able to hook up an amp to the RCA plugs)?

I know these are noob questions but that's kinda where I am. Thanks all for any help!

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1. Does the card have a front panel connection that is amplified?

Yes, it does have a front panel connector, and from the information I found, it seems that it is also amplified. But for sound quality, using the front panel may be a worse option than a short external extension cable, since the (usually unshielded) front panel cable tends to pick up interference inside the computer case.

Quote:

2. I have a cheap set of 2.1 speakers that I use when i'm not listening to music through the headphones. They have a basic 3.5mm plug. Is there any way I can hook these up to the card as well?

Unless you want to use the headphone outputs (front panel, or rear with a jack adapter) for this purpose, which is not optimal, an adapter is needed since the card has RCA line outputs.

Quote:

3. If I can hook the 2.1 speakers up, does the card have an auto-mute when I plug headphones into the front panel or into the back of the card?

According to another forum, the output is not auto-detected, you need to select it in the mixer.

Quote:

4. In the future, i'm going to purchase a nice set of 2.0 bookshelf speakers to hook up to the card. I'm assuming they would hook up to the RCA plugs in the back of the card, is the correct (or would I be able to hook up an amp to the RCA plugs)?

Yes.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 6
Here is a link, and another one that confirms the lack of auto-detection. Also, at this page, while it does not specifically answer your questions, you can find a test and measurements of this card, which could be useful information.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 6
To question 2 there is a RCA to 1/8" socket adapter that comes with the card so you can hook your amplified computer speakers to the RCA jacks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back