Xonar Essence stx or Pico dac?
Jan 10, 2009 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Brando

500+ Head-Fier
I'm planning ahead a little for my tax refund and agonizing over which way to go on this. I already have a Xonar D2X and a Gilmore lite so the amp on the essence stx would go to waste, but it'll cost me a lot less. On the other hand the Pico "dac only" version is coming out soon and I've read that it's sound quality is amazing compared to far more expensive dacs. I assume it will cost less than the dac\amp pico but will still be pricey in comparison to simply trading up to a better sound card. Is it worth it or is the xonar stx just as good? I remember reading some random posts at one point about how sound cards can never be as good because they're not in an enclosure separated completely from the pc. Oh and here's a complete newbie question....sorry. If the Pico only has a usb input from the pc and no optical\spdif, how does it work? Does it have it's own driver to install in windows or do I control it from the same panel that controls my D2X card? Thanks!

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 15
The pico DAC would just be another output device. You put its volume at 100% and then leave it alone. From then on you control the volume from the amp.

The soundcard honestly IS enclosed, in an EMI shield for its output stage.

I have no idea on the actual quality of the pico but I think selling your d2x and the gilmore and just getting a STX would be a great idea too. The STX really sounds like it should be far far more expensive.

You'll also gain some sound quality as you'll skip a lot of middleware going from a soundcard to an amp through a cable like you do and go straight out from a soundcard.

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 15
I don't think anyone can really answer what you've asked (it's almost impossible to answer really, since each one of us have different taste). My advice is that you get both the Essence (from a seller with good return policy) & the Pico DAC, test them as much as you could, and return the one that you like the least. This is what I'm going to do in a few weeks/months with my choice of DAC & the Essence.

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 15
I see, thank you. But I'm still not clear on one thing. If I start up a game on my pc will I hear the games sound through the Pico usb connection?

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 15
If gaming and watching movies are of your concern, getting a pc soundcard is a better solution assuming that you have a 5.1 speaker setup since a soundcard would decode 5.1 materials and output 5.1 signal.

I always hear the Essence is of great quality and should cost much more than it is. However, I have only read one comparison between the Essence and other DAC or Amp. I would wait until more members, especially experienced ones, come up with comparisons before I plunge in and get one myself.

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 15
d Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading some random posts at one point about how sound cards can never be as good because they're not in an enclosure separated completely from the pc.

The point is the actuall result, if they (ASUS) have't got it completely solved, I think it won't get such attention and also wouldn't claim it to be a PC Hi-FI device.

Quote:

Oh and here's a complete newbie question....sorry. If the Pico only has a usb input from the pc and no optical\spdif, how does it work? Does it have it's own driver to install in windows or do I control it from the same panel that controls my D2X card? Thanks!

An USB DAC is a sound card itself.

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I'm planning ahead a little for my tax refund and agonizing over which way to go on this. I already have a Xonar D2X and a Gilmore lite so the amp on the essence stx would go to waste, but it'll cost me a lot less. On the other hand the Pico "dac only" version is coming out soon and I've read that it's sound quality is amazing compared to far more expensive dacs. I assume it will cost less than the dac\amp pico but will still be pricey in comparison to simply trading up to a better sound card. Is it worth it or is the xonar stx just as good? I remember reading some random posts at one point about how sound cards can never be as good because they're not in an enclosure separated completely from the pc. Oh and here's a complete newbie question....sorry. If the Pico only has a usb input from the pc and no optical\spdif, how does it work? Does it have it's own driver to install in windows or do I control it from the same panel that controls my D2X card? Thanks!

PICO AMP is using WM8740 dac, which is one level lower than the 1792 on Xonar. You sure you want to change?

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 15
Wow. I guess I need to get out of the mindset that more money = better. It kind of seems like most of this hi-fi stuff is a ripoff in comparison
confused_face.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PICO AMP is using WM8740 dac, which is one level lower than the 1792 on Xonar. You sure you want to change?

Have you compared the Pico and Xonar? If not, that comparison based on specs does nothing.
wink.gif

I don't get why people who likes dac/amp that they bought have to put down other products that they've never had experience in.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 15
well.. take it easy, just asking.
I didn't say it sounds bad, just asking from spec point of view.

Share us your ideas if you've heard of it, will you?

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you compared the Pico and Xonar? If not, that comparison based on specs does nothing.
wink.gif

I don't get why people who likes dac/amp that they bought have to put down other products that they've never had experience in.

Some people like desk ornaments! Has nothing to do with audio though...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back