Xonar essence stx or DAC
Sep 13, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #16 of 33
You can get some great soudncards these days and they can be made even better with simple opamps upgrade or other modifications.
Sound cards have come a long way in the last few years.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try the STX. In its intro thread, an owner of both the Zero and the STX said he clearly preferred the latter. I don't think it's entirely fair to discount soundcards' performance compared to lower end DACs.

From reading it seems the STX has noise issues on 44.1 and the majority of owners also own a separate amp so that to me tells me it's obviously lacking. It already costs more than the Zero and with the requirement of the additional amp you'd be looking at closer to $500. The Zero costs $120 used, doesn't require an additional amp, doesn't have noise issues and sounds better than a $200 0404USB and a $800 PPX3 Slam which I've had in the past. I no doubt think preference between lower priced Dacs/soundcards comes down to opamps installed and headphones been used for comparison. I bet if the Zero was made in the US it would cost 5x more.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From reading it seems the STX has noise issues on 44.1 and the majority of owners also own a separate amp so that to me tells me it's obviously lacking. It already costs more than the Zero and with the requirement of the additional amp you'd be looking at closer to $500. The Zero costs $120 used, doesn't require an additional amp, doesn't have noise issues and sounds better than a $200 0404USB and a $800 PPX3 Slam which I've had in the past. I no doubt think preference between lower priced Dacs/soundcards comes down to opamps installed and headphones been used for comparison. I bet if the Zero was made in the US it would cost 5x more.

And if you read the threads about the zero DAC you'll be seeing endless amounts of complains about how bad the built quality of the zero DAC can get, and lots of zero DAC owners own a separate amp too; I am not sure how you can come to the conclusion that the zero DAC's inbuilt amp is better. So what's your point?

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

I don't have any noise issues in mine, not even a hint. Also, I don't know why you brought the amp into the discussion, I was talking about the DAC as this whole thread is about external vs soundcard DACs.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure how you can come to the conclusion that the zero DAC's inbuilt amp is better. So what's your point?

Maybe not... question is which has the better the DAC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any noise issues in mine, not even a hint.

Well thats good to hear... from reading it seems issues are from 44.1, do you upsample?

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Maybe not... question is which has the better the DAC?

Well thats good to hear... from reading it seems issues are from 44.1, do you upsample?

Nope. I have it set to 44.1khz. I've found some people find improvements by actually removing the shield. There could be a host of issues regarding ground loops and their causes, none of which are the card's fault.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #22 of 33
It's no secret that the DacMagic has horrible USB input, it uses a craptastic CM108 Reciever chip. If your going to compare the DacMagic to the Musiland, please compare based on SPDIF. In fact, there are many USB dac's right now that use crappy reciever chips, and I imagine the Musiland could best many of them based on the USB interface alone, I doubt it will come out ahead when SPDIF is used. (comparing, USB Musiland, to SPDIF DacMagic)

Also, it's pretty hard for me to beleive the zero could beat a singlepower anything. There was somthing else going on there, bad tubes, broken amp, poor source, etc..

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

I have never had any trouble with CD audio, none at all.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, it's pretty hard for me to beleive the zero could beat a singlepower anything. There was somthing else going on there, bad tubes, broken amp, poor source, etc..

Personal preference maybe, it didn't add as much clarity to the music as my current Zero when used with D2000... and it wasn't broken, had plenty of good tubes to switch through; many of which I'll add I still have as people just don't have a love for tube amps anymore. At the time of the Slam I had a Squeezebox V3 feeding it which I believe is a Burr Brown DAC.

What DAC does the Xonar essence stx have, what DAC does the zero have... which is better?

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #25 of 33
STX has a PCM 1792A -DATA Sheet
IIRC, which is one of th best spec'd DAC chips avilable from any company. There is more to a audio device then just he DAC though as the output seciton also play a role in the overall sound quality.

I am unsure about the Zero....

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #26 of 33
Keep in mind that whatever subtle differences there are in sound quality between an STX and DAC, they will pale in insignificance compared with the fact that your computer will give off background noise (unless you built it specifically to be quiet).

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #27 of 33
The STX is sheilded. You notice NO background nosie of anytype in the outputs.....too many people complain about noise in a PC but if it was half as bad as some make it out to be the PC would never work properly.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #28 of 33
I'm not talking about noise through the outputs. I'm talking about CPU fans, case fans, PSU fans, HD noises etc - ambient noise that adds up to 30db + (if you are listening to your music in the same room as the computer) unless you spend more for a quieter setup.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #29 of 33
..well noise through the outputs is all I am worried about really. My system is pretty quiet just for that reason. If your system is really that loud maybe investing in some products to silence it a bit would be the better move.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwatkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not talking about noise through the outputs. I'm talking about CPU fans, case fans, PSU fans, HD noises etc - ambient noise that adds up to 30db + (if you are listening to your music in the same room as the computer) unless you spend more for a quieter setup.

Personally, I think this is mandatory before an audiophile computer setup can even be contemplated. I built my system after a whole lot of research and upgraded over the years. It's pretty much inaudible from my listening position. If it wasn't for the power and HDD lights, I wouldn't even know it's on.

I'm sure the die-hard computer audiophiles all do the same. Ambient noise really makes a difference in transmission of microdetails that can get lost in noise when listening with open cans or speakers at low volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back