Xonar essence stx or DAC
Sep 18, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #31 of 33
Sure. If you want to use a PC for audio you need to make it as silent as possible.
I have associates that use their system for serious recording duties and keep the PC in a insulated closet.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #32 of 33
I've been using the STX with a performance M3/S11 combo for a while now. It's great, but I also just got a Gamma 2 + Mini-3. I'd say that the mini combo competes with the full-size rig and the gamma 2 blows the stx out of the water on paper and IMHO from my subjective listening tests. Better soundstage, better detail. While the gamma 2 will set you back about 50% more in cost than the stx, I believe your rig will further be aided by not having a DAC that resides inside your Chassis.

I believe the STX suffers slightly from electrical interference from the PSU and the other components despite having some shielding.

That all being said, look at the specs for both the Gamma 2 and the STX and you'll see how the extra cost is completely justified. Plus you can easily unplug the Gamma 2 and use with other components or travel with it. The same can not be said of the STX. Consider portability as well as price/performance.

Whatever you get, they're both great. One's just not as great as the other.

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gochuckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the STX with a performance M3/S11 combo for a while now. It's great, but I also just got a Gamma 2 + Mini-3. I'd say that the mini combo competes with the full-size rig and the gamma 2 blows the stx out of the water on paper and IMHO from my subjective listening tests. Better soundstage, better detail. While the gamma 2 will set you back about 50% more in cost than the stx, I believe your rig will further be aided by not having a DAC that resides inside your Chassis.

Interesting. I have no trouble believing this considering all of AMB's previous accomplishments. The specs listed on the site are also nothing short of impressive and I know Ti isn't the type to exaggerate technical claims purposely.

I do want to point out though, that the STX took a dramatic leap in SQ with the opamps upgraded to the LME49710HA for the buffer, and LME49720NA for the I/V. I can't even listen to the stock setup anymore, it doesn't compare. The comparisons I've done are extensive and exhaustive in terms of the number of opamps and time spent with them, so I know what I'm talking about.

What I think would be more fair is to compare the STX with those opamps (the best opamps I've found for the STX) to the Gamma 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochuckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the STX suffers slightly from electrical interference from the PSU and the other components despite having some shielding.

Speak for yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif
No such problems in mine. Perfectly black background with the STX's main volume maxed out and the M3+Sigma11's volume pot maxed simultaneously. I think that's quite a feat considering the M3 adds considerable gain of its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back