Xonar Essence STX / Little Dot MKIII / HD650's
Feb 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #31 of 36
Plain and simple there are good and bad external and internal components. One is not always better then the other.

I never said all amps, DAC or any other device, Many designs are built to sound a certain way. Flat response but still offering a certain charachter.

So, if these units are not "colored" in anyway and are meant to just produce the flat response of the components then I guess the unit with the highest specificaitons will yeild the best sonic results?

There are many internal soundcards released right now that are very,very good. Saying a $75 DIY DAC can shred "$200" soundcards when the specifications would suggest different is a bit misleading.
Just saying keep your $75 DIY DAC in perspective. There is no need to get way off topic and get into an argument. Different strokes for different folks.

I am actually checking one out, I may buy one to add to my system. That site you linked to has quite a few nice looking projects for DIY.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am actually checking one out, I may buy one to add to my system. That site you linked to has quite a few nice looking projects for DIY.

Psssst...Gamma2
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Psssst...Gamma2
wink.gif

Pssssttt, yes, seen it. I have been looking over a few DIY units, they are fun as you can change the parts as you go if you want to add higher grade parts,

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #35 of 36
I have modified several DAC sections of CD players, SACD players & soundcards & have measured them all before & after as well as listened to them. I can tell you like ROBSCIX says you can have measurably flat sound both before & after & have a completely different sound signature after the mods.

Merely direct coupling the output in some cases is very revealing as this will not alter the frequency response except in the deepest bass frequencies below human hearing but does wonders in many cases with opening up the soundstage as well as bring out details not noticed before.

This is a double edged sword though as in one case it really exposed deficiencies in the filter network in my SACD player. Just by listening closely I was able to discern what was causing the problems & I reworked the filter network. After I was done the sound of the SACD player was practically indistinguishable from my Essense STX soundcard that has much better DACS & filters in it.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #36 of 36

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the Asus Xonar Essence STX with my HD650's for a while, and picked up the Little Dot MKIII last night.

Not really able to give any impressions yet, as I've been struggling a bit so far.
Using the line out's on my Xonar to power the Little Dot isn't working too well, I'm having to use close 100 volume on the Little Dot to get sufficient listening volume.
Switched to using the HP out on the Xonar to feed the Little Dot now, that seems to work alot better, sufficient volume already at 50 volume now.

Also there is a TON of background noise originating from my Little Dot - I'll try using higher grade cables, as I'm using el cheapo unshielded ones now.

as far as the background noise, mine had a ton too and this was with some halfway decent cables. after some research i discovered that the LD has a ground loop problem which causes most of the noise. i plugged it into a 3 prong to 2 prong cheat plug and bam, background noise is gone.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had tons of noise from my PC, especially when scrolling or using the video card. I actually tried an STX to replace my DX and it did nothing, lol. $1.50 adapter saved the day!

Just one question. Is there anything wrong w/ not using the ground on the little dot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back