Xonar Essence STX Installation
Apr 17, 2010 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BenchmarkGrado

New Head-Fier
New poster needs help.

Just purchased a HP AMD Phenom II 8200 Quad running Windows 7 to listen to Foobar - Wasapi and stream Pandora. Install instructions recommend disabling the onboard audio devices in the BIOS or uninstalling any audio cards. (I don't know how to do this and Geeksquad wasn't much help). I have downloaded the driver from ASUS, but don't know where to put it. A CD is included with the card but alas only includes XP drivers. After slotting the card in the short PCI slot, attaching power and firing it up - no installation. Can someone help?

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 4
I just bought and installed mine today. Note that I am on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

After downloading the Win 7 64 bit drivers from Asus, you unzipped/extracted (using Win Zip 7) to my desktop. From there I just ran the setup.exe inside the folder.

Done deal.

As far as disabling your onboard audio, you need to get the manual for your motherboard and find out how to get into your BIOS. (my system is self built, so I just hit the DELETE key over and over upon boot up. Once in the BIOS, I look at the options for "Onboard Audio" and disable it. I always uninstall the Realtek drivers from within Windows.

Being you have an HP, I'm not sure how they get into the BIOS. Maybe the F8 key upon bootup.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 4
Why can't you just disable the drivers from the control panel? This is what I did.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for your input Razeus and zotjen,

The driver I downloaded from ASUS had the suffix .RAR, a format of which I was unfamiliar and my old version of WinZip didn't open. Winrar-x64 made easy work of expanding the file; thanks to free software trials.
F10 at bootup got me into the BIOS (use F10 on builds with Vista or Windows7 of 2006 or later, F1 if built before 2006 with XP or earlier). Simple to disable the Onboard audio under the Advanced tab from there.
I disabled the Realtek drivers from the Control Panel as well for good measure.
Installation went smoothly.

I assume the selection in Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Sound - manage audio devices - S/PDIF Pass-through Device refers to Wasapi playback, no? Sounds better.

Now for some critical listening. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back