Xonar Essence STX/External (Tube) Amp Setup Questions
Dec 7, 2011 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lulian

New Head-Fier
Hello again Head-Fi! My Xonar Essence STX arrived today (Amazon only took three days, and with their free shipping!) but I'd like to make sure that I have everything properly setup, though I suspect I do.

I'm mainly using the sound card for its DAC (and of course so I don't have to use the internal chip *shudder*) as I already have a Little Dot Mark III to work as the amp (and a pair of Sennheiser HD650s for the cans). Now, unless I'm mistaken the proper setup is -

1) Plug an RAC cable into the INPUT jacks on the Little Dot
2) Plug the other end of the RAC to the RAC jacks on the sound card
3) Plug the headphones into the headphone jack on the on the Little Dot
4) Max out the volume on the computer, use the amp for volume control

Is there anything I'm missing? For those who also have an STX, questions for you!

Will using the gain on the STX make any difference as I'm not using it for the amp?
Is there an ideal sample rate? (Please don't hit me!)
Is there any specific reason why the headphones don't work when the analog out is set to anything but 2 speakers?
Is it just me, or does the Dolby Virtual Speaker sound icky?

Thanks in advance Head-Fi!

Edit: Thoughts on using the Music/Game/Movie/GX/HF settings in the Xonar Audio Center?

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hello again Head-Fi! My Xonar Essence STX arrived today (Amazon only took three days, and with their free shipping!) but I'd like to make sure that I have everything properly setup, though I suspect I do.

I'm mainly using the sound card for its DAC (and of course so I don't have to use the internal chip *shudder*) as I already have a Little Dot Mark III to work as the amp (and a pair of Sennheiser HD650s for the cans). Now, unless I'm mistaken the proper setup is -

1) Plug an RAC cable into the INPUT jacks on the Little Dot
2) Plug the other end of the RAC to the RAC jacks on the sound card
3) Plug the headphones into the headphone jack on the on the Little Dot
4) Max out the volume on the computer, use the amp for volume control

Is there anything I'm missing? no, it looks right to me. For those who also have an STX, questions for you!

Will using the gain on the STX make any difference as I'm not using it for the amp? no, gain is for when using the STX's amp 
Is there an ideal sample rate? (Please don't hit me!) if your music is 44.1 you should set it to that, you can also use ASIO which will adjust sample rate on the fly so it matches the music files. 
Is there any specific reason why the headphones don't work when the analog out is set to anything but 2 speakers?  it's because you've connected your amp to the lineout. lineout = 2 speakers
Is it just me, or does the Dolby Virtual Speaker sound icky? i agree, it sucks 

Thanks in advance Head-Fi!

Edit: Thoughts on using the Music/Game/Movie/GX/HF settings in the Xonar Audio Center? i prefer no effects and have it set at hifi

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 5
Yep, use an RCA to RCA patch cable from your card to your amplifier.

Make sure you set the card to the highest volume for the line outputs but there is a fader that is set for 76% stock...IIRC.  Leave that one alone.  the main volume knob should be set for maximum.

The idea is to send the amp the highest amount of signal and least amount of noise.
This will give you the best sound out of your gear.

Good luck and enjoy.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm also using HD650 with Essence ST right now, but the bass isn't really there? Would I benefit by buying a Head Box II and using the RCA L/R instead of the built-in amp on the headphone jack?

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 5
Find some "bassy" op-amps (operational amplifiers) to improve the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back