xonar essence stx along with headphones and speakers
May 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

gfmate123

New Head-Fier
Hi i am using headphones with my stx to listen to computer and xbox 360 audio connected to linein.
but now i am considering 2.1 speakers. along with using headphones
would i need an external amp for speakers can i simply connect it to my stx on rca out?
would the amp improve sound?
or would it be better to dump the stx for an external dac and amp?

Note: I would need two inputs one for pc and xbox 360 audio and two outputs for headphones and speakers
Thank You!

May 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 19
The STX has a good DAC and headphone amp with RCA line out. You'd have to spend a good bit of money to do better.

Yes. You can connect powered speakers to the RCA out on the STX. That's what the RCA out is for :)

A set like the Corsair SP2500 also has an auxiliary line in. So you could connect the Xbox audio directly to the speakers without having to hook them to the computer.

May 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
The STX has a good DAC and headphone amp with RCA line out. You'd have to spend a good bit of money to do better.

Yes. You can connect powered speakers to the RCA out on the STX. That's what the RCA out is for
smily_headphones1.gif

A set like the Corsair SP2500 also has an auxiliary line in. So you could connect the Xbox audio directly to the speakers without having to hook them to the computer.

would it be better to get an external amp too?if so what amp and speakers do u recommend beside corsair sp2500?
im looking for small speakers whether computer or home speakers 2.1 set

thank you

May 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 19
What is your total budget? And how small? You take an SQ performance hit going with tiny speakers over ones with larger drivers.

May 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

would it be better to get an external amp too?if so what amp and speakers do u recommend beside corsair sp2500?
im looking for small speakers whether computer or home speakers 2.1 set

thank you

You can go with a set of powered speakers like most set designed for PC usage or you can go with an external amplifier, passive bookshelf speakers and powered subwoofer.  However, that road will provide higher end sound quality but it is more expensive so we need an idea of your budget to make any kind of suggestions

May 21, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 19
Well, it's not about room size and power. Bigger drivers can have better sounding midbass response. And there is better driver quality, too. For instance, these Emotiva Airmotiv 4s will sound better than cheaper speakers with the same driver size.

May 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 19
If Frys is an option

Polk R150 $49
http://www.frys.com/product/6097668

Topping TP22 $89
http://hifion.com/dac-amplifiers/topping/topping-tp22-t-amp-tk2050-tc2000-tp2050-digital-amplifier.html

this has 2 selectable inputs so PC and XBOX can function independently

Dayton SUB 1000 $99
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-628

May 23, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 19
Topping t-amps have a good reputation. Other brands to look at are SMSL and Indeed (check Ebay).

Sony speakers, not so much. They sell well because of the Sony name, but are not known for good sound quality. Got a local Craiglist? You could probably find something better used.

In the under $100 price range on subs, watch for specials on the Polk PSW10 or you can get the Dayton SUB800. The PSW10 often shows up on sale for $100-$90. Wouldn't be surprised to see if on sale somewhere this Memorial Day weekend.

May 23, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 19
hmm what about the yamaha sub? could i connect this sub to this particular amp?
ive looked and it says that the sub has a rca input?how would i connect that to topping amp?
ive also found another bookshelf speaker dayton b652

i am not aiming for the best my speakers and sub would be only like 1-2feet from me

May 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #14 of 19
The Dayton and Polk subs I listed have speaker line level pass through. You run the speaker wire from the amp to the sub, and then run speaker wires from the sub to the speakers.

The Yamaha looks to have a single sub input. That's intended for hooking to an AVR subwoofer line out.

May 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #15 of 19
ok ty so much
ive chosen my components
topping tp41
dayton b652
dayton SUB800

are all these parts compatible??
can you explain specifically how to connect the speaker wires?
would the speakers wire take up both of the l and r outputs or just one?
I am a Total Noob!!! That's why I'm Asking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back