Xonar Essence ST/STX - Dolby Headphone
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

johnzz4

500+ Head-Fier
I just received my Xonar Essence ST, and it sounds great. I currently have it connected via line out to an external headphone amplifier. I'm getting familiarized with the 'Xonar Audio Center', and I realized that when it's set to use line out's, it's assuming your're hooking up speakers to it and no longer gives an option for Dolby Headphone. It is replaced with Dolby Virtual Speaker.

Is it worth connecting my external amplifier to the card's headphone out to regain the Dolby Headphone? My understanding is the line out is cleaner, so that is preferred.

Am I missing much by losing the Dolby Headphone? How similar is Dolby Virtual Speaker when using it with headphones?

Thanks....

~John

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 2
The Essence line of cards have a headphone amplifier circuit built in, as well as shielded for EMI/RFI. Its no surprise that it doesnt offer Dolby Headphone when outputting to Line Out. I dont own this card, but i do own the Xonar DX. That being said, FWIR, the line out sounds better than the headphone amp/out. Why dont you just hook up the line out to your headphone amplifier? I guess you loose Dolby Headphone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back