xonar essence opamp question
Jul 30, 2010 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

G33ST

New Head-Fier
first of all i want to say that this is a great forum!

i have been reading allot about opamp swapping but i still have some questions so here we go:

i'm using the xonar essense with the sennheiser HD600 connected to the headphone out
i'm reading allot about the line out being better in comparison to the headphone out

would it be a good idea to connect the hd600 directly to the line out instead of the headphone out
i do have a cheap headphone amp (behringer amp 800) which i did test in comparison to the HP out

i find the bass and vibrancy (maybe) a bit better than the HP out but there seems to be less clarity so i decided to stick with the HP out
my question is if the line out is really worth the cost of buying an expensive hp amp? and would the line out provide enough power for the HD600 without amp? (haven't tested yet, need cabling)

about the opamps:
I finally decided to upgrade the opamps and i bought 4x AD797BRZ, i didn't realize though that they aren't meant for the i/v section but for the buffer section (which i don't use with the HP out)

is it in any way possible or is it advised to use these AD797BRZ's in the i/v section? (i hear they are high quality so i would definitily want to give it a try)

I'm now ready to buy 4x LME49710HA for the i/v section but i just found a post in this forum that says that its not possible to use these in the i/v section (i guess its due to the space limitation for the adapters? or are these just not fit for the i/v section?)

The other option is the LME49720HA for the i/v section but i have been reading that these are less quality that the 710's?
or is this the way its supposed to be? (2x LME49720HA for i/v and 2x LME49710HA for buffer?)

what i was trying to do with the opamps:
4x AD797BRZ in i/v section
or
4x LME49710HA in i/v section
or
should i go with the lesser version? the LME49720HA, 2x LME49720HA in the i/v section

OR
should i really go for a better headphone amp and use the line out so i can also benefit from an upgraded buffer opamp?

I basically want to get the most out of this card without soldering
i'm looking for clear sound & high tones with lots of depth and a bit of bass but not to much
i listen to trance music and more moody songs, some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr_tLenH8kg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-u9MO_XqTY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fvu9ux4rMw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k9QCDcqPuc
(i know youtube probably isnt the best source for music but thats about the only place where i can find these classic tracks)

depth is probably what i'm looking for mostly, i want to be more "inside" the music

any suggestions are welcome and are greatly appreciated

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 7
Opamps aren't going to make a real difference.

LM4562/LME49720 are designed as buffers, their settling rate is too slow to be used as I/V - more reason to ignore audiophools. If you're not an engineer just leave the card stock. If you're not capable of doing a fully blind level matched test (you'd need two cards for one), then you're just going to be a victim of placebo, oscillation, or other odd things that could come up.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Opamps aren't going to make a real difference.

LM4562/LME49720 are designed as buffers, their settling rate is too slow to be used as I/V - more reason to ignore audiophools. If you're not an engineer just leave the card stock. If you're not capable of doing a fully blind level matched test (you'd need two cards for one), then you're just going to be a victim of placebo, oscillation, or other odd things that could come up.

You do know the LM/LME are faster then the stock opamps for the I/V right?

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Really? Source?
I couldn't find info on 2114D's settling rate.

Slew rate is part of the settling time so if the slew rate is faster..... 
The NJM2114D's are generic opamps a bit better then plain old 5532 and there are many that are much better offering higher specifications, lower distortion and overall better sound quality.  You're comparing a generic opamp to a high speed audio grade unit, there is a great deal of difference between the two units. 
However, if you think they all sound the same enjoy what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back