Xonar Essence + HD600s
Dec 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

g4cytheclown

New Head-Fier
Hi, I work at an Amazon warehouse and have access to many products that are 40 - 50% off. I've always been a music lover, and recently we got a shipment of HD600s in as well as some Xonar soundcards. I want to jump on this opportunity before these products are gone, but I'm debating whether or not my purchase is justified, Would running these headphones only through the Xonar soundcard truly justify their cost? 

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 8
  Hi, I work at an Amazon warehouse and have access to many products that are 40 - 50% off. I've always been a music lover, and recently we got a shipment of HD600s in as well as some Xonar sound cards. I want to jump on this opportunity before these products are gone, but I'm debating whether or not my purchase is justified, Would running these headphones only through the Xonar soundcard truly justify their cost? 

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I like my Essence STX, works fine with all my headphones, even the 600-Ohm ones.
But I'm currently replacing it with a $300 external DAC/amp.
Can you say what prices you pay (new or used) for the card and headphones?

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 8
I haven't formerly asked my manager yet, but considering the deal I've gotten on computer parts, I assume I'd pay around ~$250  for the combo.

I originally brought the HD600s home to test their functionality, but even through a measly Creative Audigy card, they sound remarkably better than the HD280s I bought a few weeks ago and I want to buy them. 

If the Xonar card isn't going to be a marked improvement on what I'm hearing now, though, I can't justify the money. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 8
  I haven't formerly asked my manager yet, but considering the deal I've gotten on computer parts, I assume I'd pay around ~$250  for the combo.

I originally brought the HD600s home to test their functionality, but even through a measly Creative Audigy card, they sound remarkably better than the HD280s I bought a few weeks ago and I want to buy them. 

If the Xonar card isn't going to be a marked improvement on what I'm hearing now, though, I can't justify the money. 

There are very few headphones that scale as well as the Sennheiser HD600.  It can take almost any source and amp that you throw at it and sound better with each upgrade.  That said, I doubt that an upgrade in sound cards is going to do the trick.  You really need to throw a lot of voltage swing to Sennheiser HD600's to make a difference.  That's tough on sound cards when they're pretty much based on 5V power supplies.  Some (perhaps like the Xonar mentioned) can make use of higher voltage, but it comes at a cost in the quality of the power (and resulting sound).

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 8

Creative Labs Audigy? sound card.
I'm fairly sure the Essence will be an improvement.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 8

There are very few headphones that scale as well as the Sennheiser HD600.  It can take almost any source and amp that you throw at it and sound better with each upgrade.  That said, I doubt that an upgrade in sound cards is going to do the trick.  You really need to throw a lot of voltage swing to Sennheiser HD600's to make a difference.  That's tough on sound cards when they're pretty much based on 5V power supplies.  Some (perhaps like the Xonar mentioned) can make use of higher voltage, but it comes at a cost in the quality of the power (and resulting sound).

Is there something you would recommend to throw into the mix?

I'm starting to think I should jump on this offer regardless, because of the scalability of these headphones as you guys have put it. These are the type of cans that won't really need replacing and I can build my setup around.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 8
  Is there something you would recommend to throw into the mix?

I'm starting to think I should jump on this offer regardless, because of the scalability of these headphones as you guys have put it. These are the type of cans that won't really need replacing and I can build my setup around.

For a given budget.
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card and a Bravo Ocean tube amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back