Xonar DX vs SoundBlaster Z, using Senn. PC363D.
Apr 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kieraksi

New Head-Fier
Hello there fellow users of head-fi forums!
This is my first post on here, I am very sorry for asking for help in my first post, but I couldn't find any previous thread that could solve my problem.
First and foremost - Hi!
So, at the moment I am using Sennheisers PC363D with crappy external USB soundcard that comes with the headphones. It plays better on it than on motherboard itself, despite the fact my mobo isn't that bad (MSI z97 Gaming 5).
Lately I thought about buying a soundcard to see if I will notice any major improvement (there will be at least some improvement, since my headphones will finely be enough power supplied), and here comes my problem.
I don't know what to choose - Xonar DX or SoundBlaster Z, or maybe I should throw in some more money for a better product, but is there any sense?
What I am looking for to achieve -
- Best positioning (steps, gun shots, explosives) in games I can possibly attain, that's the main thing to focus on, since I am a very competetive player.
- Better sound quality in music (mainly listening to classical and black metal music)
Ignore everything else, just those two aspects.
At the very moment sound in music lacks bass for sure, although when playing games rarely I have some problems with telling from which direction given sound came.
I will be very glad for any valuable responses.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 16
  Hello there fellow users of head-fi forums!
This is my first post on here, I am very sorry for asking for help in my first post, but I couldn't find any previous thread that could solve my problem.
First and foremost - Hi!
So, at the moment I am using Sennheisers PC363D with crappy external USB soundcard that comes with the headphones. It plays better on it than on motherboard itself, despite the fact my mobo isn't that bad (MSI z97 Gaming 5).
Lately I thought about buying a soundcard to see if I will notice any major improvement (there will be at least some improvement, since my headphones will finely be enough power supplied), and here comes my problem.
I don't know what to choose - Xonar DX or SoundBlaster Z, or maybe I should throw in some more money for a better product, but is there any sense?
- Best positioning (steps, gun shots, explosives) in games I can possibly attain, that's the main thing to focus on, since I am a very competetive player.
- Better sound quality in music (mainly listening to classical and black metal music)
At the very moment sound in music lacks bass for sure, although when playing games rarely I have some problems with telling from which direction given sound came.
I will be very glad for any valuable responses.

The biggest difference between those two is going to be the surround processing:  Dolby Headphone on the ASUS vs THX/SBX on the Z.  Some people have a strong preference of one over the other.  I'd recommend looking up some YouTube videos with comparisons of the different codecs so you can see if you have a preference.

Beyond that, your headphones are bass light so the sound card isn't going to do much to relieve that.  They're great for competitive gaming because of it, not as great for music.  You'll probably have to live with it unless you want to get a different headphone for music.

FWIW, I prefer the Sound Blaster processing.  I use a Sound Blaster Omni, which is the same as a Z but it's external.  This means it's less prone to EMI from inside the case and you get a nice external volume control and easily accessible ports.  Some will argue that putting a USB cable in the chain could degrade SQ.  I don't think you're at the gear level where that's something to worry about, whereas in-case EMI is a real thing and easy to hear even with untrained ears.

EDIT - Oh and welcome to Head-fi!  Sorry about your wallet!

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 16
Well I suppose I won't even use the surround thing. At the moment with that USB card it just makes sounds harder to catch and localize the direction. I guess that won't change with sound card swap, anyway I want to use the soundcard just for amping the headphones little more.
I will ask my friend who has Xonar DX to let me have a glance for one day, I think that will solve my problem, since DX and SBZ are mostly the same cards if we take out minor aspects.
I am very glad for answering Mr. Stillhart, yet I will wait for more opinions :)

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 16
  Well I suppose I won't even use the surround thing. At the moment with that USB card it just makes sounds harder to catch and localize the direction. I guess that won't change with sound card swap, anyway I want to use the soundcard just for amping the headphones little more.
I will ask my friend who has Xonar DX to let me have a glance for one day, I think that will solve my problem, since DX and SBZ are mostly the same cards if we take out minor aspects.
I am very glad for answering Mr. Stillhart, yet I will wait for more opinions :)

No problem.  For what it's worth, a lot of competitive gamers I know swear by good virtual surround.  They say it's like having a wall-hack on once you get used to it.  I'm not super competitive so take that for what it's worth.  lol

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 16
No problem.  For what it's worth, a lot of competitive gamers I know swear by good virtual surround.  They say it's like having a wall-hack on once you get used to it.  I'm not super competitive so take that for what it's worth.  lol

How I perceive virtual surround may change after grabbing one of those soundcards. I am also thinking about throwing some more money in for Phoebus or better SB, STX II would be fun and all, but not for my pocket :D

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 16
How I perceive virtual surround may change after grabbing one of those soundcards. I am also thinking about throwing some more money in for Phoebus or better SB, STX II would be fun and all, but not for my pocket
biggrin.gif

Not familiar with the Phoebus but most of the SB's in the Z line don't offer much of an improvement in sound (as you go up the product line), just bells and whistles.  The X7 is one of the better gaming DAC/Amp's around though.  You might also consider the @Sennheiser gaming DAC/Amps.  I haven't heard them myself, but I've heard good things.

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 16
I switched from the Xonar DX to a Schitt Modi 2 Uber, and the difference was incredible. Much better imaging and staging, exactly what you're looking for.

I've never used virtual surround effects or any other processing, as I think that just muddies imaging instead.

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 16
I switched from the Xonar DX to a Schitt Modi 2 Uber, and the difference was incredible. Much better imaging and staging, exactly what you're looking for.

I've never used virtual surround effects or any other processing, as I think that just muddies imaging instead.

Modi is nearly impossible to buy for me as I am living in central europe :/

Apr 25, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 16
I am going to see how it goes with Xonar DX on thursday, my friend is going to let me have a look, after that we'll see where it will drag me.
Anyway I worked out a conclusion - if there won't be much difference between DX and what I am using right now, then I shall save money for Schitt Mobi + Magni Combo and better headphones.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #10 of 16

Yeah, if you're not using surround, the DX isn't a particularly good DAC.  The Modi 2 should crush it for just stereo imaging.  

If you're in Europe, you lose out on one of the things that attracts so many people to Schiit: the pricing.  I'd look into other brands to see what's comparable price-wise and what might be a good option.  @conquerator2 lives in Czech Republic and might be able to make some suggestions.  

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 16
I see I've been called and am willing to assist further when given budget 
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 16
I would be very grateful for any recommendations, something similar to Modi 2 Uber + Magni combo, or maybe even something different that would bring the stage of my headphones to whole another level (if that is actually possible).

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 16

Those motherboards along with the Gigabyte and ASRock equivalents (and the Maximus series from Asus, but that's a higher price bracket) all have op-amp headphone amp output stages. Think of the Matrix HPA, without a large dedicated power supply. 

All that depends more on the DSP chip's headphone surround feature, although I haven't really noticed a good deal of difference between them apart from Creative and Asus being a little bit better than Razer Surround.

If your motherboard has virtual surround, I'd save the money and just use that for now. Save that money and get a good amp or DAC-HPamp or DAC and HPamp to drive the headphone better, as well as a better headphone.

At the very moment sound in music lacks bass for sure

Save up, get a headphone that has a wider response (ie goes deeper into the bass) if not also a taller plateau in the bass region, and get a better amp to drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back