Xonar DX vs FiiO E10K
Apr 20, 2015 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Leo7

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a pair of JBL Lsr305 and CAL!2 headphones , i want to get a new DAC. Between Xonar DX and FiiO E10K which will sound better?

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 8
  I have a pair of JBL Lsr305 and CAL!2 headphones , i want to get a new DAC. Between Xonar DX and FiiO E10K which will sound better?

The E10K come with a dedicated amplified headphone jack and a separate line-output, for speakers.
Where as the Xonar DX comes with a shared Front Speaker jack that also pretends to be a headphone output.
The Xonar DX comes with Dolby Headphone surround sound, while the E10K comes with no headphone surround sound feature.

The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card come a with separate amplified headphone jack and Front Speaker line-output jack.
and also has SBX Headphone surround sound.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 8
The most important thing for me will be the sound quality. I read a lot of good things about DX and also about E10K, but i didn't find a comparison between them.

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 8
I know, but i think the CAL!2 don't need amp.

A smartphone, a tablet, an mp3 player, many computer sound cards--they typically have some kind of headphone amp attached to the built in DAC because headphones do need it. What the Cal!2 don't need is a more powerful headphone amp than what is usually available in electronic devices. So yes. The DX would be better with some kind--any kind--of headphone amp attached since the DX doesn't have one. It's not that they won't work. They just won't be sounding quite the way that they are supposed to.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 8
  The most important thing for me will be the sound quality. I read a lot of good things about DX and also about E10K, but i didn't find a comparison between them.

The E10K being an external using a digital connection, keeps the E10K from picking up any electrical noise that might be generated inside the computer
I'm going to make a guess(?) that the E10K and Xonar DX are roughly equal for audio quality.
The Xonar DX's 100-Ohm output impedance might cause some headphones to have a bloated (louder, less detailed) bass.
Where as the E10K's less then 1-Ohm output impedance helps improve the audio detail coming from headphones.
You might see which offer more of the features you might need.
The Xonar DX was designed about 5 years ago, the E10K is a less then year old revision of the E10.
So my vote is for the E10K.

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 8
I dont't have those two but i have Xonar DS and FIIO E07k. Xonar has little more details but the FIIO is overall 2 classes above my Xonar. I mention i have stock opamps on Xonar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back