Xonar DX or something else for 2.0 speakers / headphones?
Apr 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Adreneline

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm just wondering if Xonar DX is the best possible option for me, I have M-Audio AV-40s and JVC RX700.... so no 5.1.

I do play games and watch a lot of movies, but music is the most played thing. Will the Xonar DX do anything for me in movies/games with just 2.0/headphones that a non-gaming card/DAC can't do?

Also, what are my other (or better) options for quality if this is the case? ~$100 CDN... under preferably but will look at anything.

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfreight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For under $100 bucks, you cant go wrong with the HT Omega Striker 7.1.

HT Omega Striker

Will this provide better 2.0 and headphone sound quality for music than the Xonar? I'm confused, I thought this was better for gaming, not music quality.

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Could also look at the Xonar U1, if you want a built in amp that's pretty decent

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 10
My AV40 speakers actually have a pretty damn decent amp in them, sound great.

So no amp needed, just a DAC.. just wondering if the Xonar DX is the best option at that price.

Apr 25, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 10
In my opinion yes; however, I prefer HT Omega products over any Asus Xonar device. With that said and if you have the cash, buy both then keep the one you like best
beerchug.gif
!!! By testing both you can decide which one sounds better with your JVC's. Then again with either one of these cards you may find that your headphones are subpar...I don't know if anybody has mentioned this to you, but sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will this provide better 2.0 and headphone sound quality for music than the Xonar? I'm confused, I thought this was better for gaming, not music quality.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfreight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion yes; however, I prefer HT Omega products over any Asus Xonar device. With that said and if you have the cash, buy both then keep the one you like best
beerchug.gif
!!! By testing both you can decide which one sounds better with your JVC's. Then again with either one of these cards you may find that your headphones are subpar...I don't know if anybody has mentioned this to you, but sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

Thanks all, I'm going with the Xonar DX.

As for headphones, I already love how my JVC's sound off of onboard, any upgrade towards my JVCs will be great, don't need new headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I have heard my JVCs with a Zero DAC (friends) and also a Denon D2000. I listened to both for hours upon end and could NOT justify spending more for what seemed to me, not a big increase. They are definitely better than the JVCs, but I'd say they only do 10-20% stuff better than my 'phones do.

I don't think I'll upgrade until these break or have comfort issues... the headphone upgrade bug will not infect me! :p

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back