Xonar DX optical --> Zero DAC...still lots of popping
Dec 22, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by strend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone finds a solution I'd sure appreciate it.

For me, the popping happens typically when switching applications, minimizing.maximizing windows, or when a sound is played after a silence (like a windows click). Maybe it's truly just random and I'm trying to associate an action to the pop.....but it doesn't happen when I'm gaming or watching a movie in full screen.

Either way, I'm almost always using my headphones (Xonar Analog out->Mini to RCA->Travagan's Red) without issue. I was running a splitter from the Xonar front channel out to my HP amp and Z5500's, but ended up taking it off(Reduced quality) and running optical to the Z5500's.

Some have said it's a power issue as the floppy power connector on the Xonar doesn't clip very well, but I do have a good connection and I have tried other power supplies....no dice.

Anyone ever figure out a solution for this? I've been having the same problems lately with my pc set-up.

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #18 of 23
Tried switching slots, tried cleaning connections. Still get the same stuttering clip while loading or switching pages.
frown.gif

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #20 of 23
Sorry to ressurect and old thread but I was thinking of going digital out from the DX and was wondering if things have improved with newer drivers or should I stick to the analog HPO.

(Win 7 64bit)

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #21 of 23
If you use a coax/optical combo jack on that sound card try using an RCA cable to the digital RCA/Coax connection on your zero dac.

I found that I had more experiences with popping and the such using toslink that I don't have using the digital RCA(spdif).

They are basically the same digital connection, no difference in SQ unless you use a super LQ RCA cable.  In which case you will have problems with interference and notice instances of error correcting code taking effect.

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #23 of 23

Quote:
Sorry to ressurect and old thread but I was thinking of going digital out from the DX and was wondering if things have improved with newer drivers or should I stick to the analog HPO.

(Win 7 64bit)

I would only suggest using digital if your external unit is of higher quality then the DAC on the card.
I have used the DX for testing and never had any issues with the digital outputs.  Popping is usually latency issues of the system and not so much the card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back