Xonar DX/DG or something else for my headphones?
Nov 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ztreb185

100+ Head-Fier
Currently im using oboard Realtek audio on my pc for my headphones (HD 558).  They are said to be 50 ohms, however i looked at the impedance and it shows a huge spike to almost 300 ohms.  Im looking for a solid bang for your buck sound card preferrably under $100 (cheaper the better).  I only use my headphones with my pc and only care about music quality.  The DG has the amp but the DX has the dac so Im really confused at what i should be getting?

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 6
The Asus Xonar DG should work just fine, as it has a dedicated headphone amplifier.
Sometimes there is a $10 mail in rebate for the DG (U.S.A.)

The Xonar DX would be better if you had a analog 5.1 speaker system.
The Xonar DX does not come with a dedicated headphone amplifier, but stills powers headphones decently.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
The Asus Xonar DG should work just fine, as it has a dedicated headphone amplifier.
Sometimes there is a $10 mail in rebate for the DG (U.S.A.)

The Xonar DX would be better if you had a analog 5.1 speaker system.
The Xonar DX does not come with a dedicated headphone amplifier, but stills powers headphones decently.

Will there be a significant difference between the Xonar DG and my onboard Realtek ALC1200?

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Will there be a significant difference between the Xonar DG and my onboard Realtek ALC1200?

The Xonar DG comes with Dolby (Digital) Headphone 5.1, DVD movies use Dolby Digital 5.1.
ALC1200 no Dolby.

The Xonar DG comes with a dedicated headphone amplifier, and comes with 3 different headphone Ohm setting.
ALC1200, no dedicated headphone amplifier and no adjustment for headphone Ohm settings.

Not sure what else to say.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 6
It turns out my motherboard doesn't have any PCI slots
confused.gif
, so now i need one only for PCI-E.  Im worried the Xonar DX wont have enough juice to power my headphones so now im considering the Titanium HD vs the Xonar STX.  I dont really care about gaming audio, its all about music quality, but the STX is about $175 while the HD is about $147.  Which one should i get?

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 6
I was using the Xonar DX before replacing it with the STX.
The Xonar DX had no problem powering my DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones.
This month there is a $20 mail in rebate for the Xonar DX.
(depends on who you mail ordered it from).

If you can hold off till Black Friday, you will see some get deals on sound cards.

I'm a STX fan, the drivers are easier to deal with.
But sometimes the Titanium HD goes on sale with a nice mail in rebate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back