Xonar DG vs DS vs DX
Dec 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

80r

New Head-Fier
DG - $33
DS - $49
DX - $72

I just got a set of ATH-M50s and though I see an improvement in sound from my older gaming headset, I feel there must be room for more improvement, given the fact that I'm still on onboard sound.

I've thus been shopping around for sound cards and the three listed above seem to be closest to what I am looking for.  I only ever use headphones - I don't even have speakers -  I use these for both music and gaming.

From what I've read of reviews, the primary differences, to me, between the products are:

DG - Dolby Headphone + headphone amp / no processor
DS - same processor as DX
DX - Dolby Headphone + processor

So is Dolby Headphone relevant?  Is the processor worth it?  Those two questions answered should indicate which is best for me.

Finally, is there anything else I should be aware about before deciding?

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 13
I picked up the DX at the end of November while it was on sale for $58, and so far I'm happy with my purchase.  Keep in mind the DX is pcie 1x and not pci like the others and also needs a floppy connector for power.

The Dolby headphone setting is what I use mostly.  It does a good job of shifting everything forward and pulling the vocals out from the music.  On some songs it does sound a bit weird and if you put it on setting 3 it echos.

I don't play anything with EAX so the processor doesn't make a difference for me.  I also don't have my surround sound speakers hooked up anymore so I guess the benefits of EAX would be lost anyway.

The only con for me is having the spdif and mic in on the same connector.  Eventually I may switch to my pioneer receiver to use the optical out and wont be able to plug my mic into the back.

Currently my setup is: DX > technics receiver > k240s

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 13
Hey,

I chose the DG over the DX because I was curious about the amp; I have an unamped pair of K271S that the on-board ALC888 just can't drive at all.

Unfortunately I don't have the card yet, might get it delivered next week, so I can't offer any comments yet. But I'll let you know how the DG does compared to onboard and an old SB Live if you haven't decided by then.

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks guys.  I ended up buying an ST though, hah (wild card!).  It was $166 on overstock with a coupon I had which is the lowest I've seen it.  Likewise, superbiiz has the DX for $52 AR with coupon code HOLIDAYCHEER.  It was a tough decision, but I find rebates to be a pain and most people said the ST was a very worthy upgrade from a DX, so I bit.

I do feel some buyers remorse, but hopefully that will vanish once I plug it into my pc 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
I do feel some buyers remorse

Well look at it this way.  You'll save money in the end by going with the good stuff first instead of working your way up.

One thing I forgot to mention, even with the separate power connection I still get a bit of humming and buzzing from the DX.  Some of this might be from the 4 drives and the water pump that are right next to the card though.  Hopefully you won't notice this on the ST.

Dec 13, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 13
I wouldn't worry about buyer's remorse, it's guaranteed if you visit this place anyways. I cancelled the DG too and went for the Auzen Bravura.

I'm sure the ST will blow every card mentioned here right outta the water.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
I picked up the DX at the end of November while it was on sale for $58, and so far I'm happy with my purchase.  Keep in mind the DX is pcie 1x and not pci like the others and also needs a floppy connector for power.

The Dolby headphone setting is what I use mostly.  It does a good job of shifting everything forward and pulling the vocals out from the music.  On some songs it does sound a bit weird and if you put it on setting 3 it echos.

I don't play anything with EAX so the processor doesn't make a difference for me.  I also don't have my surround sound speakers hooked up anymore so I guess the benefits of EAX would be lost anyway.

The only con for me is having the spdif and mic in on the same connector.  Eventually I may switch to my pioneer receiver to use the optical out and wont be able to plug my mic into the back.

Currently my setup is: DX > technics receiver > k240s

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 13
I have the Xonar's ST & DG, and i must to say that ST it's a great sound card, it's thinking for professinal use and no dude it's a truthly HIFI component.
The DG it's a great sound card for the price, the C-media processor and headphone amp and other things like GX (EAX) or Dolby Headphone make it a great value.
Xonar DG it's thinking for headphone use and i can say it have a very good sound, maybe less detailed, and less deep on bass and a bit more agressive on mids and highs than my Xonar ST (in global more balanced cause the opamps) but in many ways it's enjoyable due to it in many styles of music; i must to say there is no soo much difference on sound quality but yes on the price (1 ST = 5 DG). If your normally use headphones and don't use sound card for professional jobs its a very good option.
I'm hoping for ROBSCIX review on Guru 3d... :) but this one it's not bad at all.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/19997/1

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
DG - $33
DS - $49
DX - $72

I just got a set of ATH-M50s and though I see an improvement in sound from my older gaming headset, I feel there must be room for more improvement, given the fact that I'm still on onboard sound.

I've thus been shopping around for sound cards and the three listed above seem to be closest to what I am looking for.  I only ever use headphones - I don't even have speakers -  I use these for both music and gaming.

From what I've read of reviews, the primary differences, to me, between the products are:

DG - Dolby Headphone + headphone amp / no processor
DS - same processor as DX
DX - Dolby Headphone + processor

So is Dolby Headphone relevant?  Is the processor worth it?  Those two questions answered should indicate which is best for me.

Finally, is there anything else I should be aware about before deciding?

Little mistake, the DG does have a processor, the CMI 8768.

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 13
i'm going to attempt to revive this thread, because i have practically the same question.

Using a pair of Denon D1001/ Creative Aurvana Live cans or a 2.1 speaker system to listen to any type of music you can dream of (from classical to rap, from blues to death metal, from country to dubstep etc - but mostly variations of metal) will I hear any noticeable difference between the DS and the DX? 

Also i am unlikely to be doing any recording, but i will obviously be using the mic port for voice comms.

Also i noticed someone say that the DX requires a floppy connector for power..? is this the case? wow... also, does the DS require this?

Thanks guys :)

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
i'm going to attempt to revive this thread, because i have practically the same question.

Using a pair of Denon D1001/ Creative Aurvana Live cans or a 2.1 speaker system to listen to any type of music you can dream of (from classical to rap, from blues to death metal, from country to dubstep etc - but mostly variations of metal) will I hear any noticeable difference between the DS and the DX? 

Also i am unlikely to be doing any recording, but i will obviously be using the mic port for voice comms.

Also i noticed someone say that the DX requires a floppy connector for power..? is this the case? wow... also, does the DS require this?

Removed post.

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:

The DS and DX use the same audio processor the CMI8788.
Both the DS and DX do not come with a dedicated headphone amplifier.
So I'm going to guess they will be very close, if not matched, when powering headphones.
The DX would be the best card for analog 5.1 speakers, also comes with Dolby Digital 5.1.
You can upgrade the op-amp on the DS, not sure if it affects the headphone.
The DS does not come with Dolby Digital, just DTS.

The DS (and DG) use a C-Media audio processor designed for the PCI bus, so no problem getting power from the PCI slot.
The DX (PCI-Express) uses a bridge chip to allow it's audio processor (designed for PCI) to communicate through the PCI-Express slot.
The bridge chip can not pass power from the PCI-Expess slot to the card, so the DX gets it's power directly from the power supply using the floppy power cable.

Get the Asus Xonar DG (PCI, CMI 8768), it comes with a built in (half way decent) headphone amplifier.
It can also do Dolby Digital Headphone 5.1 (like the DX)
and it's a cheap price.

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 13
joining the question, i have the Q701 using a poor onboard... im using an old setero system as my headphone map, it does produce a little hiss but the bass is richer with the old stereo.
i was wondering what to buy, the DX or DG ? do they use the same processing ? DG is hald the price of DX in my country... please let me know what produce better sound quality and value for the bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back