Xonar DG causing a constant whine noise in the background...
Feb 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lolwatpear

Head-Fier
Hi, I've had the Xonar DG for maybe a year.  It's served me well so far, but now I hear a constant noise, or a whine in the background.  I honestly don't know if 'whine' is the correct way to describe it, but it's just an annoying noise that can barely be heard.  As far as I know, this just began yesterday.  I don't know if it's related, but I decided to plug in my front panel header into the pins on the DG, to test the sound quality using the FP.  I see no reason why this would actually have caused the problem, and I unplugged the header, blew the expansion slot with compressed air, etc., and nothing will stop it.  Let me describe some things I've noticed so far:    

-Starting with the computer off: I boot it up, windows begins to load, and there's no whine.  I can even quickly click folders and hear a clear sound with no whine.  But all of a sudden, it starts the noise.

-Another thing I noticed is that the noise is persistent even when the volume is muted.  

I also have the unified drivers.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled them, and same thing.  Does anyone have any suggestions?   

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 3
Is this coming from the card itself or from something else plugged into it?

Are you still using the front panel?  I have pretty bad EFI noise in my front panel even when nothing is playing that is not present when I use the rear connections.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Is this coming from the card itself or from something else plugged into it?

Are you still using the front panel?  I have pretty bad EFI noise in my front panel even when nothing is playing that is not present when I use the rear connections.

No, it's definitely coming from the card. I've tested other headphones.

And I'm not using the front panel, as it has worse SQ then plugged directly into the soundcard i found.  Both the soundcard and the front panel has the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back