Xonar dac and amp
Aug 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Arcadez08

New Head-Fier
Hey guys was wondering if anyone could help me out. Do I need a dac if I'm just using my Xonar st soundcard. I'm planing on getting an amp probably a firestone. This is for my DT770.

To tell you the truth I'm not even sure which way I want to go. 

Thanks in advance!

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hey guys was wondering if anyone could help me out. Do I need a DAC if I'm just using my Xonar ST sound card. I'm planing on getting an amp probably a firestone. This is for my DT550.

To tell you the truth I'm not even sure which way I want to go. 

Thanks in advance!

Asus Xonar Essence ST comes with a good DAC and headphone amplifier, should not need anything else.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks PurpleAngel,

quick edit its the DT770 80ohm.

So my DT770 will do fine on the Xonar ST? Will bass be louder though? Because right now running them on my pc's onboard sound and it's not too hitting hard (xonar is on the way I already ordered it 
biggrin.gif
).

Also Im thinking of maybe getting the e17 for my lumia900. If im not using my phone should I run Xonar/e17/DT770?

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Thanks PurpleAngel,

Quick edit its the DT770 80ohm.

So my DT770 will do fine on the Xonar ST? Will bass be louder though? Because right now running them on my PC's on-board sound and it's not too hitting hard (Xonar is on the way I already ordered it 
biggrin.gif
).

Also Im thinking of maybe getting the e17 for my lumia900. If im not using my phone should I run Xonar/e17/DT770?

My DT770 Pro 80-Ohm sounds fine on my Asus Xonar Essence and your Pro 80-Ohm's bass will improve with it.
You can not use the E17's DAC feature with the cell phones, just the amplifier part.
and the E11 is a slightly better headphone amplifier then the E17.

E17 is a good DAC/Amp, but you really have no need of it.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 9
You are awesome I always see your posts for answers, thanks for replying to mine. 

So is the E17 only good for apple products? sorry I'm really new at this.

One last question If I were to ever get like the DT990's what would you recommend for an amp?

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
You are awesome I always see your posts for answers, thanks for replying to mine. 

So is the E17 only good for apple products? sorry I'm really new at this.

One last question If I were to ever get like the DT990's what would you recommend for an amp?

The Fiio E17s are best with a source that has a digital (zeros & ones) output, like Apple (or PC) laptops and desktops.
An optical or USB digital output it what the E17 would plug into.
Apple iPhones, IPads, IPods, cell phones, portable music players do not come with a digital output.
Headphone jacks are analog (wave) outputs.

The cheapest external DAC that can work with apple portable phones and Apple audio players is the HRT iStreamer, $150.

The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm would work fine with the Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
What about DT990 600ohm? just saying. I'm happy with my DT770 I just want to look forward to the future 
smily_headphones1.gif

The Xonar Essence can drive 600-Ohm headphones.

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
The Fiio E17s are best with a source that has a digital (zeros & ones) output, like Apple (or PC) laptops and desktops.
An optical or USB digital output it what the E17 would plug into.
Apple iPhones, IPads, IPods, cell phones, portable music players do not come with a digital output.
Headphone jacks are analog (wave) outputs.

The cheapest external DAC that can work with apple portable phones and Apple audio players is the HRT iStreamer, $150.

The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm would work fine with the Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Hey I cant thank you enough it's really been stressing me where I should put my money.

darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back