Xonar D2X modding - assistance, please
Jan 26, 2010 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

michaeluno3@gmail.com

New Head-Fier
So, I have some opamps and caps lying around, and I figured I'd replace the equivalent parts on my Xonar D2X. However, I am rather unexperienced, in the sense that I can solder tiny little components, but can't understand the electronics side.

Using a high resolution camera, I was able to identify every major component on the board, ie. the opamps, DACs and ADC. Now, I have read over the Xonar DX mod guide (below) and the X-fi hotrod guide (also below), so I understand the process in theory, but there are a couple of problems I've run into.

Problem 1: There are a TON of opamps on this board. One would assume the ones surrounded by box caps are the main output opamps, but then, why are there two opamps before each of these?

pic here

Problem 2: One set of "output" opamps uses different models than the others. This can be described by the picture: here

As a side note, the opamps in problem 2 are also on the opposite corner of the board from the outputs. Which leads me to even more confusion.

Any help in understanding all of this would be appreciated, as I would like to get this done, and if a picture of any part of the board is needed, just say so! I've probably got one.

Xonar DX guide

X-Fi guide

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 7
The best advice I can give you is to give the card to somebody with a little more experience to modify. Soldering SOIC is not easy especially with little soldering experience. You can easily turn your card into a paper weight. Probably not the advice you were looking for but...
Not all your opamps will be for output, some will be for input singal conditioning before it hits the ADC.
IIRC, the output opamps are the models enclosed within the Caps however, it has been awhile since I have looked over this card myself. I am pretty sure I have the layout here somwhere. Give me some time to look and I may have a modded version pics somwhere.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 7
Actually, that was kind of the advice I was expecting. I don't plan on tackling this very soon, due to school and whatnot, but in the future, when I have more time and practice, I'll probably get around to it.

Also, you say you have the layout of the card. If you mean some kind of diagram in a PDF or similar, can you provide it? Thanks.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 7
I think I have the layout of which opamps are for which. I have seen other people mod them in the past and IIRC, all the outputs are surrounded by the box caps.
Is there four of these opamp surrounded by caps?

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 7
The LM4562NA is for the fronts IIRC. The 4580's would be for the remaining channels.
Which are you planning on changing and what are you changing them to?

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Actually, that makes sense that the LM4562 would be for the front. The plan was to swap all of them, but I might just do the surrounds, now that I know what's there. I was going to use LME49860's that I have laying around, or whatever I can get my hands on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back