Xonar D2 Best Settings?
Jul 9, 2009 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bananaheadlin

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I just bought my Xonar D2 sound card today. The problem is, it does not sound thatgreat compared to my Realtek ALC1200 onboard soundcard. I use an Audio Technica M50 headphone and from what I've read, they should sound good. I have burned these M50 headphones for about 50 hours already, so (as a complete noob), I guess the problem is because I did not optimize my settings on the driver to the best?

Does anyone else have this combo (M50 + Xonar D2)? If you do, please give me some tips or tell me your settings! If you don't, then maybe post your headphones and your D2 settings.

THANKS!!
smily_headphones1.gif

(ps: does anyone know how to change the language of the D2 driver?)

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 6
I have a D2 but not the same headphones as you. The Xonar's Dolby Headphone modes can be quite headphone dependent. They may or may not suit you but it's worth trying.

Set as following:
Most stereo music: 2 Channel
Most movies: 6 channel
Most games: 8 channel

Analogue output set to headphones.

For music first try in Hi-fi mode. Then turn on Dolby Headphone and try each mode. I found that there's no magic bullet setting, so I just go with what sounds best for each recording.

I tend to use the following:
Binaural recordings: hi fi mode
Close mike recorded music with little soundstage info in the recording: DH3
Music with good soundstage info in the recording (e.g live classical): DH1 or sometimes hi-fi mode.

If using Dolby Headphone, stick with lossless source material wherever possible. It's not flattering to compression artefacts.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 6
The Dolby Headphone option makes my sound very 3D. On the Hi-Fi side, I think I'm leaving it on even though it doesn't seem to be making a difference. Btw, I'm listening to 320 kps, I hope thats not the problem, right?

Also, do you happen to know what the "SPDIF out" should be set to? I leave them unchecked, not sure if its good.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 6
If you're using digital speakers or a digital receiver, SPDIF out matters. It will make no difference to headphone listening, apart from that some modes cancel analogue out entirely.

Hi Fi mode basically cancels all DSPs, Dolby Headphone etc. It's the purist's mode.

If your 320KB/s recordings are well encoded it shouldn't be much different. Maybe try listening to CDs or FLAC vs your usual and decide if you think you can hear a difference.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 6
Some very good advice by the above members on the source quality and settings of the D2. Just a short add on, 50 hrs is a relatively short burn in/break in period. Although a lot of my AT headphones sound great by 100hrs thereabouts, the sound continues to develop over time in small increments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back