XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jul 5, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #2,911 of 3,865
 The Audience au24 se was a major step up over the old line, don't know which you had - and they have a sx coming out now

Thanks RB! Much appreciated. Yeah, - the Audience stuff that I heard & had in my system was years before the SE line.

Awesome that the Audience & Synergistic are so good. $900 cable is a bit out of my resources, - but maybe someday, - at half price.....

Thanks again for comments. I am happy already with the AS, - and although not run-in yet, - I am probably getting some benefits by it being 1.5M instead of slightly less than 1M on the APL cable.

Cheers,

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #2,912 of 3,865
Tonight I finally got out my battery pack and tried it out on the F1. Well wow, it certainly benefits from the battery power. Indeed much more than I found the Audiophilleo or other devices did.

The improvement over the iFi iUSB is quite marked really, and I think this is the cleanest and most intimate sound I have ever heard from any headphone rig. I certainly recommend giving it a try if you have a double headed USB cable to hook up a separate power source.

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #2,913 of 3,865
Just gotone of these to run as a word clocker for the RN3 - OXCO.

Will accept a 10Mhz Atomic clock input as well - that'll be next.

Antelope Audio Isochrone OCX High Resolution Audio Clock
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OCX?adpos=1t1&creative=114582609481&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw2PK7BRDPz5nDh9GjoGcSJAAybcS3RZ_FYfZ4XAFO03LR8TuV-FyFtJX3US-B_kyXxW0GYhoCtczw_wcB

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #2,914 of 3,865
Some jitter specs which you guys probably find interesting 
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745032/lks-audio-mh-da003/270#post_12704127

Jul 7, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #2,915 of 3,865

Will be interested to hear if anyone gets one... but I would have preferred to see also AES & i2s outputs like the Singxer SU-1.

I ordered one, it's on it's way, although I wish it had BNC. It apparently also comes with a battery enclosure to power it.

"Thank You for interesting in our product,
Free AA battery box is shipped with the package
The marking on the enclosure has indication of the socket polarity.
Technically, battery is the most silent power in the world.
Please notes the device may need upto 1A during startup."

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #2,916 of 3,865
  Some jitter specs which you guys probably find interesting 
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745032/lks-audio-mh-da003/270#post_12704127

Good link - funny the 100Mhz crystals perform much better then the 22Mhz.

Funnier still how the Singxer uses the NDK SD clocks (with much lower jitter - at least how he measured it) in their X1 compared to the Crystek CCHD-575 used in the F-1 - yet the F-1 sounds better.

Anyway I have a ultra low phase noise/jitter OXCO (oven controled cyrstal osc) coming - to word clock my REDNET 3.  Already using a Mutec MC-3+ USB with it's 1G clock and extreme oversampling processing do the chore on the SPDIF side (to great effect).

Interesting quote:
"As most of people have a hard time to realize why they need something like clock at few ppm or even below ppm, I don' think my vaguely explanation can elaborate this topic." Clock accuracy has little to do with anything beyond pitch. You will not hear even 500 ppm, the literature indicates the sensitivity is .003 or .3% or 3000 ppm. However​
jitter
or phase noise is important and low phase noise is hard to achieve without a stable clock. The lowest noise crystals are SC cut crystals that must be ovenized to work properly.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/why-does-computer-matter-5568/index9.html

As for phase noise - from NDK's website:

The OCX oven clock module:

There is even a light on the front panel to tell you the oven temp has stabilized the cyrstal and is ready for listening:

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #2,918 of 3,865
Got my f-1. I put it in a case and bought 3 adapters, including an elbow, screwed together to connect the f-1 directly to the bnc input of my master-7. Like having no cable or almost and it minimizes the stress on the bnc socket. Sounds very good after 48 hours. Huge bass for sure.

I am waiting for some parts to come in so i can add an i2s connection to the case. So far, it is about as good as my modified Breeze. I expect it to beat it on the bnc input, and blow it away through i2s once broken in. The i2s is not mandatory for everyone, it is just the best input on the m-7, that's all. The quality of an input depends on its implementation.

I feed it with the intona, which itself is fed by a schiit wyrd in cascade. Seems to work. I will try other combinations eventually. Seems like there not a hint of harshness in the sound, quite amazing. Waiting for the soundstage to open before i call it a steal.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #2,919 of 3,865
Tried jb -> intona -> wyrd -> f-1 tonight. Wow! Now you are talking.

I concluded a little too fast in my first impressions that the f-1 was as good as my modded breeze (oscillator swap for crysteks). It was not. But with the wyrd feeding the f-1, clarity is much improved. Might be a little better the modded breeze connected through i2s ( the f-1 being connected into the bnc input of my m-7).

Bottom line, the schiit wyrd is a much better way to feed the f-1 compared to the intona, as expected considering the rated output noise, a few uv for the wyrd vs 60 for the intona. Plus the wyrd is able to output more current.

The f-1 is singing big time now! Better from bottom to top. Sounds very similar to the modded breeze, although maybe 10 percent better. Feels like the sound is richer, fuller, again without any harshness. Totally grain-free.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #2,922 of 3,865
hi,  soory to write this here but i cannot create a new thread on the diy forum section
i’m new here and also not an electronic expert. Hope somebody can help me
my usb interface (audio-gd NFB-1S) is broken (definitly). The manufacturer has discontinued  usb interface (USB32, xmos or amanero) for my dac so i guess i got no other choice and deal with a diy solution.
DAC spec:   ES9018

1st of all can this interface (reviewed on this thread) work with my dac and if so, how can i make it work ?

thanx, i’m stuck cannot listen to DSD and 384khz music
HELP!

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #2,923 of 3,865
hi,  soory to write this here but i cannot create a new thread on the diy forum section
i’m new here and also not an electronic expert. Hope somebody can help me

my usb interface (audio-gd NFB-1S) is broken (definitly). The manufacturer has discontinued  usb interface (USB32, xmos or amanero) for my dac so i guess i got no other choice and deal with a diy solution.
DAC spec:   ES9018

1st of all can this interface (reviewed on this thread) work with my dac and if so, how can i make it work ?

thanx, i’m stuck cannot listen to DSD and 384khz music

HELP!

Have you tried emailing audio-gd? You could have a driver/computer issue. Try another computer if you can. Audio-gd might have some usb32 boards left as well, if it is a hardware problem, which is very rare. I have owned 7 products from them and no hardware failure whatsoever.

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #2,924 of 3,865
hi Freda , thanx for reply
no it's physically broken (pulled accidentally on rca cable and ......) it's not a software or driver issue
i've already contacted audio-gd     and they told me the USB modules usb32, amanero and xmos have been discontinued
i insist that i have no other solution than change the usb pcb interface

after some research   found this post  and maybe this could work for me
and it's latest and better than the via1731
so why not try this solution

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2,925 of 3,865
hi Freda , thanx for reply
no it's physically broken (pulled accidentally on rca cable and ......) it's not a software or driver issue
i've already contacted audio-gd     and they told me the USB modules usb32, amanero and xmos have been discontinued
i insist that i have no other solution than change the usb pcb interface

after some research   found this post  and maybe this could work for me
and it's latest and better than the via1731
so why not try this solution

The easiest is to buy an external interface.

I don't understand which rca cable? Was the interface external ? If it is just the cable that is broken, any technician could fix it in a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back