XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jun 16, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #2,687 of 3,865
 I'm thinking Recovery/Regen going into F-1 to my DAC.

Hi,

There are many ways to get good sound. No one way is "right."

That being said, - what is your DAC? And do you like the sound of  your DAC? The F-1 is a very great, and cheap, interface to convert USB to SPDIF. It also does some isolation. It has an excellent clock. It is the best USB to SPDIF converter that I've used. I require a RCA COAX SPDIF input for my DAC. If i did not, - I may have made another choice.

If your DAC has an USB input, - and using it yields high SQ, - I wouldn't buy an F-1 for its isolation or clocking.

Many people want to get rid of these external boxes to mitigate issues with the USB bus on computers. If you fall into this boat, and you like the program that you use on your PC or MAC; I would go the ICRON isochronous gigabit LAN; that many assert would solve so many "problems."

To purchase the F-1, i used Freeshopping(dot)com and the Taobab store to avoid the lies of Shenzhen audio from Ebay.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,688 of 3,865
There is a great MOT poster over on the AOIP thread - I want to share some of his comments on AOIP:

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/3c/100x100px-LS-3c5d6de5_OneFlewOverTheCuckoosNest2.png[/img]
  1. rb2013
  2. Author of The 6922 Tube Review
  3. badge_contributor.v3479891814.png
  5. online
  1. 4,740 Posts. Joined 4/2013

I don't think Ravenna or Dante can be beat for audio. The reason for this is because the audio isn't even processed on the connected PC. There's an ultra low noise CPU on the Dante/Ravenna boards that's actually processing the audio as direct as possible. It spits I2S/DSD direct out of the FPGA on the board. The audio is simply being sent from the server computer over Ethernet as data similar to audio files streaming in off a NAS. With Ravenna a realtime OS is actually processing and sending the audio out of the server computer in the most efficient way possible.

Thanks for sharing this info - we are so used to noisy troubled USB - this a whole other computer audio paradigm.  So as I have said we need to reset our thinking - from other ethernet audio protocols (like DNLA/UPNP, etc...) and esp from USB.

This makes perfect sense from the Audinate information on Dante.  And goes far to explain this sea change in audio SQ.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #2,689 of 3,865
I've been inspired by a thread on tirnahifi to try out an sd card player instead of a pc. It will involve some modding of course but well worth it if it means not being dependent on my pc. At least until an affordable AOIP solution appears...

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #2,690 of 3,865
  I've been inspired by a thread on tirnahifi to try out an sd card player instead of a pc. It will involve some modding of course but well worth it if it means not being dependent on my pc. At least until an affordable AOIP solution appears...

Interesting - I'd need a stack of SD cards a couple of feet thick - but wonder how it sounds?

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #2,691 of 3,865

IMO Mojo´s usb never sound right, its good but far beyond all the claims it has.
Just received my F1 today, and connecting it directly to my Mac mini and using it as an coax source to mojo  oh boy, mojo has become a beast. 

Unfortunately Im unable to use my geek LPS with F1. Would a iUSB3.0 micro/nano be an improvement?

Regards 

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #2,692 of 3,865
 Would a iUSB3.0 micro/nano be an improvement?

Hi,

I have not heard any iFi gear. But with the F-1 limitations in external power, - iFI's "Y" USB power seems like it would be the way to go. I also know that Teradak makes one as well. I know that I would go with the cheapest option first.

Cheers,

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #2,693 of 3,865
Ok, I have developed a way to send a simultaneous stream of data from JRiver MC over both USB with XMOS ASIO and EN with Dante ASIO. It involves running a virtual cable, virtual ASIO bridge and two kernel streaming repeaters. The data is bit accurate to the ASIO drivers both receiving identical data. Now I have two paths that may be A/B compared with a Zana Deux,  HD800 and PRT in operation. The two digital paths past the digital T are:

XMOS ASIO -> USB -> Gustard U12 XMOS -> 110 ohm AES/EBU -> Mutec MC-3+ -> 75 ohm Coax SPDIF -> Gungnir MB -> Silver Sonic Air Matrix RCA -> ZD ch 3
Dante ASIO -> EN -> Focusrite D16  -> 110 ohm AES/EBU -> Yggdrasil -> Silver Sonic Air Matrix RCA -> ZD ch 2 

The output of the Zana Deux:
ZD -> PRT -> Norne Audio Draug ->HD800 

The levels are very closely matched between the two DAC RCA outputs. Everything has been allowed several hours to reach equilibrium, except the DACs which have been powered up for many months.

Now if you are expecting to read that I heard major differences, you will be disappointed. Both paths sounded excellent. I am having a bit of difficulty hearing much, if any, difference. Note that both paths include a galvanic isolation in the form of AES/EBU, though the D16 is double isolated with the EN as well. Increasing the ZD volume to full (which would be ear splitting) the following differences can be heard with no signal playing, very faintly:

U12 - MC-3+ - GuMB path has some hiss
D16 - Yggdrasil path has a faint hum

Please remember the extreme measures to find a clearly audible difference involve amplifier gain consistent with 115 ~ 120 dB SPL at the ear and a residual room ambient level of 25 to 30 dBC, far lower than most listening spaces. In a normal room ambient neither sound would have been audible.

At normal levels the hiss and hum are not directly audible though one could argue that they add muck to the overall audible presentation, probably 90 dB beneath the signal.

I could live with either combination and be happy. I probably will spend some time with the MC-3+ on the D16 - Yggdrasil path but won't be able to directly A/B compare except to the U12 - GuMB, though that path will have a galvanic connection to the USB interface, which I expect will bring additional noise to the party. The flexibility of Audio over EN compared to Audio over USB is huge. Clear advantage to AOIP systems. No more 16 foot 5 inch length restriction nor chasing unicorns in special cables.

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #2,695 of 3,865
Any thoughts on BLU link? http://bssaudio.com/solutions#blu-link

No license fees, apparently.

I will receive the Rednet 3 tomorrow and will be able to compare with uRendu + F1 over the weekend, probably. 

I really look forward to your impressions comparing the two. Please post back when you have some time to assess the differences.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #2,696 of 3,865
  Ok, I have developed a way to send a simultaneous stream of data from JRiver MC over both USB with XMOS ASIO and EN with Dante ASIO. It involves running a virtual cable, virtual ASIO bridge and two kernel streaming repeaters. The data is bit accurate to the ASIO drivers both receiving identical data. Now I have two paths that may be A/B compared with a Zana Deux,  HD800 and PRT in operation. The two digital paths past the digital T are:

XMOS ASIO -> USB -> Gustard U12 XMOS -> 110 ohm AES/EBU -> Mutec MC-3+ -> 75 ohm Coax SPDIF -> Gungnir MB -> Silver Sonic Air Matrix RCA -> ZD ch 3
Dante ASIO -> EN -> Focusrite D16  -> 110 ohm AES/EBU -> Yggdrasil -> Silver Sonic Air Matrix RCA -> ZD ch 2 

The levels are very closely matched between the two DAC RCA outputs. Everything has been allowed several hours to reach equilibrium, except the DACs which have been powered up for many months.

Now if you are expecting to read that I heard major differences, you will be disappointed. Both paths sounded excellent. I am having a bit of difficulty hearing much, if any, difference. Note that both paths include a galvanic isolation in the form of AES/EBU, though the D16 is double isolated with the EN as well. Increasing the ZD volume to full (which would be ear splitting) the following differences can be heard with no signal playing, very faintly:

At normal levels the hiss and hum are not directly audible though one could argue that they add muck to the overall audible presentation, probably 60 to 90 dB beneath.

I could live with either combination and be happy. I probably will spend some time with the MC-3+ on the D16 - Yggdrasil path but won't be able to directly A/B compare except to the U12 - GuMB, though that path will have a galvanic connection to the USB interface, which I expect will bring additional noise to the party. The flexibility of Audio over EN compared to Audio over USB is huge. Clear advantage to AOIP systems. No more 16 foot 5 inch length restriction nor chasing unicorns in special cables.knah​T

Thanks for your impressions Bob. Your posts and measurements of the Yggy last year were instrumental in my purchase decision. Will be watching out for your D16-MC3-Yggy post. I receive my D16 tomorrow and also will also be using that exact same set up.

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #2,697 of 3,865
Echo that. Thank you. I personally can live with hiss; but not hum. Would be interesting to see if others get hum as well.

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,699 of 3,865

At normal levels the hiss and hum are not directly audible though one could argue that they add muck to the overall audible presentation, probably 60 to 90 dB beneath.

I could live with either combination and be happy. I probably will spend some time with the MC-3+ on the D16 - Yggdrasil path but won't be able to directly A/B compare except to the U12 - GuMB, though that path will have a galvanic connection to the USB interface, which I expect will bring additional noise to the party. The flexibility of Audio over EN compared to Audio over USB is huge. Clear advantage to AOIP systems. No more 16 foot 5 inch length restriction nor chasing unicorns in special cables.

Great stuff!  Well I'm sure a little run time on the 16d will help it - it did on my 3.

Your U12 is modded right - Crystek clocks, separate LPS to the clocks etc...

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2,700 of 3,865
Echo that. Thank you. I personally can live with hiss; but not hum. Would be interesting to see if others get hum as well.

No hum here!  At a level that would destroy my ears and speakers.

Note my AC chain to my RN3:

Teslaplex>Audience Ar1p (line balancer and conditioner)>Art Audio PB 4X4PRO (AC line common mode and differential mode filter and isolation - one for DDC, DAC, PC)>Cerious Tech Graphene Extreme PC>REDNET 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back