XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jun 13, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,581 of 3,865

Hi,
No, just the opposite. I am completely enamored with the microRendu. The detail, soundstaging, tonal accuracy, quiet, and balance of the microRendu constitutes the best redbook playback I've had in my system. It's either better, or indistinguishable from playing CDs. Never happened before with my APL. If I try the LanRover when it comes out, - we'll see how much benefit that provides, - by allowing the microRendu will hide with the NAS.

Cheers,

And you are using the F-1 for the USB side right?  What kind of power source?

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #2,584 of 3,865
 I believe Uptone included some of the Regen tech (for USB gremlins) in the microRendu

Yes, John Swenson co-designed the hardware, & built in Regen tech into the microRendu. It is my understanding that John was very active in the "Community Squeeze" project that was working on & promoting the Squeezebox/LMS platform when Logitech bailed in late 2012.

Sonore (Jesus) developed the operating system called sonicorbiter, and Small Green Computer built them.

Granted, I didn't optimize my former MacMini as much as I could've, - but the microRendu renders the MacMini into a bad joke comparatively.
I am also glad to be off the software model, (& overemphasis of the importance of software), where there are upgrades that you have to pay for, plus often hardware upgrades needed for the new software, plus the customer becoming the QA dept. for the software developer who releases the product incomplete. Not going to name any names, but I passed on 3 different products because my research yielded major issues that I was unwilling to tolerate.

All that being said, and not to completely change the subject, - I am psyched to get down to comparing my APL SPDIF 1.0 meter SPDIF with a new 1.5m Statement SE silver. (Thanks again for all of your tips & posting your discoveries).

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #2,585 of 3,865
Nice - I believe Uptone included some of the Regen tech (for USB gremlins) in the microRendu

I've seen you write this before but the microRendu is a Sonore product not an Uptone Audio product. John Swenson has designed products for both companies. He receives royalties per device sold and IIRC also is IP (intellectual property) owner and that's why there's in effect an improved Regen part of the microRendu.

Edit: Albrecht beat me to it! :) I also love the microRendu BTW.

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #2,588 of 3,865

Yes, John Swenson co-designed the hardware, & built in Regen tech into the microRendu. It is my understanding that John was very active in the "Community Squeeze" project that was working on & promoting the Squeezebox/LMS platform when Logitech bailed in late 2012.

Sonore (Jesus) developed the operating system called sonicorbiter, and Small Green Computer built them.

Granted, I didn't optimize my former MacMini as much as I could've, - but the microRendu renders the MacMini into a bad joke comparatively.
I am also glad to be off the software model, (& overemphasis of the importance of software), where there are upgrades that you have to pay for, plus often hardware upgrades needed for the new software, plus the customer becoming the QA dept. for the software developer who releases the product incomplete. Not going to name any names, but I passed on 3 different products because my research yielded major issues that I was unwilling to tolerate.

All that being said, and not to completely change the subject, - I am psyched to get down to comparing my APL SPDIF 1.0 meter SPDIF with a new 1.5m Statement SE silver. (Thanks again for all of your tips & posting your discoveries).

Thanks for the background info.  All those pay for s/w upgrades are a nuisance...love free Foobar!

Anyway will try a BJC 1.5M digital to feed the Mutec 3+ USB as spdif reclocker - then the AS statement to the DAC.

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #2,589 of 3,865
I've seen you write this before but the microRendu is a Sonore product not an Uptone Audio product. John Swenson has designed products for both companies. He receives royalties per device sold and IIRC also is IP (intellectual property) owner and that's why there's in effect an improved Regen part of the microRendu.

Edit: Albrecht beat me to it! :) I also love the microRendu BTW.

Never said it was an Uptone product - of course it's Sonore - I've linked to about 10 times already.

Like some other folks you love to correct what I never said.
wink_face.gif

Let me restate - that under a licensing agreement between John Swenson and Sonore - sub paragraph f of the co-licensing and IP agreement there it states a co-revenue model for co-commitment revenue sharing in term of a per unit de facto, ipso facto, agreement, not to be misunderstood as a product of the first part, but only a product of the second party - with the right to disclose that such an IP sharing agreement in public forums, with the implied and explicate consent of all parties to the agreement, respective of sub section a,c,d, and e provisions.

That better?

Dude you must be a lawyer!
deadhorse.gif

This kind of nit picky duchiness is better suited to CA.

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #2,590 of 3,865
Anyway the microrendu has a very limited list of players - unlike the Dante open protocol:

I will direct quote this from Sonore's website - so mister DB doesn't get to do his nit picking dance

SELECTABLE OUTPUT MODES
Mode #1 - SqueezeLite Output - This output works with any Logitech Media Server and compatible controllers. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM and DSD/DoP.

Mode #2 - ShairPort Output - This is an AirPlay emulator that utilizes streams sent to it from a compatible source. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM.

Mode #3 - MPD/DLNA Output:

Mode #3a - DLNA Output - This output utilizes streams from UPNP/DLNA servers and controllers. This output can be configured as an OpenHome renderer. This output supports true gapless playback of
PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #3b - MPD Output - This output is intended to work with a SMB mount. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output - This output utilizes streams from Signalyst's HQ Player running on your computer. Digital signal processing is performed by HQ Player and then asynchronously streamed to the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) output. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #5 - RoonReady Output - This output utilizes streams from Roon. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Lets' see Roon is $500 licensing fee, HQ Player a little more reasonable at $147.59, etc...

You can build one of these for $29 I guess -
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-29-squeezebox-replacement-raspberry-pi-picoreplayer-squeezelite.364422/

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #2,591 of 3,865
  Anyway the microrendu has a very limited list of players - unlike the Dante open protocol:

I will direct quote this from Sonore's website - so mister DB doesn't get to do his nit picking dance

Lets' see Roon is $500 licensing fee, HQ Player a little more reasonable at $147.59, etc...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-29-squeezebox-replacement-raspberry-pi-picoreplayer-squeezelite.364422/

have you tried hq player. ive read often that it possibly gives better SQ then foobar, jriver, ect

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #2,593 of 3,865
Just to report, the Schiit Wyrd and Singxer F1 is an impressive combination. This for the price is excellent. I think this is as good if not better than the mutec 3+ usb by itself as a transport..

(Furman conditioner in front of all devices)
So have you tried the U12 as USB to AES DDC and sent AES to the MC-3+ and then AES to the Ygg? Really sounds quite remarkable.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #2,595 of 3,865

I had this concern initially too about software costs, so I asked for cheaper options.

Logitech Media Server is free and works with the microrendu in squeezelite mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back