XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jun 9, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2,491 of 3,865

About the "Mutec 3+" you mention here (but elsewhere as well including your score lists), there's of course the Mutec MC-3+ and the Mutec MC-3+ USB which I believe you tested. The latter is not just a MC-3+ with an USB port. Functionally it is but it's a newer version which also had an internal re-design for better re-clocking and overall performance. I remember one person who had three MC-3+ which could be replaced with one MC-3+ USB offering the same SQ performance.

There's much more information and detail in the Mutec MC-3+ thread on CA (which after some pages also starts to discuss the MC-3+ USB). http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mutec-mc-3-a-17300/

Thanks - I believe that Mutec upgraded the MC-3+ and the MC-3+ USB with their new 1G clock.

I would of course just get the MC-3+ and save $300 - the USB board is a rather generic XMOS U-8 (previous generation XMOS) with std XO clocks.  The F-1 is a superior design using the latest 1000MIPS XU208 (in addition to twice the 500MIPS U-8's performance - other enhancements as well), and the totl Crystek ultra low phase noise CCHD-575 clocks.

Here is the board that mutec adds to the MC-3+ for the additional $300:

Here is the $180 XU208 F-1:

PS And don't plan on daisy chaining 3 or four these as some suggest on that CA thread - or using an ext atomic clock.  If you remember we kicked that idea around a while back.  Mike had a great link discussing ext atomic clocks.

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #2,493 of 3,865
Still waiting OP doing his PSU mod on his rednet
wink_face.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #2,494 of 3,865
  Both the MC-3+ and MC-3+ USB have this 1G clock tech. 

All I'm saying: the MC-3+ USB could be significantly better than the MC-3+ even if you don't use the USB input.

???  But why would Mutec do that?  Everything I can tell they are the same as SPDIF reclockers - in fact removing the noisy USB board might be an improvement

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #2,496 of 3,865

???  But why would Mutec do that?  Everything I can tell they are the same as SPDIF reclockers - in fact removing the noisy USB board might be an improvement

You may be right though - from Mutec website:
http://mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php#description
This is what MUTEC’s proprietary re-clocking algorithm paired with the 1G-Clock technology provides at the highest level! Our MC-3+ Smart Clock already impressed critics and users around the world, and the MC-3+USB now marks the next generation of re-clocking by MUTEC. Extreme oversampling of incoming data allows the audio to be recombined and merged with a newly generated ultra-low jitter clock signal at ultimate precision, enhancing the re-clocked audio with unparalleled richness of details, spatiality, and musicality. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #2,497 of 3,865

You may be right though - from Mutec website:
http://mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php#description

Yes, I didn't make it up or just hypothesize about it. :) That's why I linked to the topic in which all the details are shared by a Mutec associate (Julian David) who is actively participating in that topic as well. Besides this there are user reports confirming improved SQ.

There's many reasons I can think of why they'd improve on the MC-3+ with the MC-3+ USB. First they're a company of engineers and engineers generally strive for excellence but there's of course the sales side as well. You can charge more for a better product and better products can sell better. They could trigger current MC-3+ owners to upgrade to the new model and they could attract/convince more new buyers. New marketing for a new model can also be used to create interest in a wider target audience (like us audiophiles now).

PS: I've seen you posting pictures of the MC-3+ (blue PCB) and the MC-3+ USB (red PCB) so it's easy to see at least superficial changes as well (these of course tell very little about SQ, plus they remove many IC markings, but it's just visible they're not "the same")

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,498 of 3,865
Jun 9, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #2,499 of 3,865
  About time to update the ratings and rankings

Thanks for that link!  I did not save the page of the most recent rankings.

So here is where I estimate we are today:

Here would be my current ratings and rankings (the numbers are just a relative number - they are not percentages).  The Breeze Audio (Talema) DU-U8 = 100

Obviously these are my subjective ratings YMMV - and yes I have owned (had a loaner) all these for an extended period of time:

REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ (SPDIF reclocker)                                                         235
REDNET 3/Cerious Power Cord                                                                               220
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2/Startech GB LAN Iso USB               170
Mutec 3+ Smart Clock USB/Cerious Power Cord                                                        155
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2                                                   145
PUC2 Lite TeraDak DC30W/Cerious/Regen                                                               135
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious                                                                                   135
DXIO Silver/TeraDak DC-30W/Cerious                                                                      130
Singxer X-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/iPur2                                                    125
PUC2 Lite - USB power                                                                                          110
Breeze/Cerious Graph/WBT RCA Nexgen                                                                   109
Breeze DU-U8 with Cerious Graphene                                                                      108
Breeze DU-U8 (Talema version)                                                                              100
Breeze DU-U8 (BingZi version)                                                                                 95
Hydra Z with LPS                                                                                                    92
Melodious MX-U8 (upgraded caps)                                                                             85
Melodious MX-U8 (stock)                                                                                          81
Gustard U12 (upgraded caps)                                                                                    76
Gustard U12 stock                                                                                                   72
iDAC DAC2 (used as a DDC)                                                                                      65
Musiland USB3.0 US Dragon                                                                                      65
M2Tech EVO with LPS                                                                                              60
Audiophileo 2  USB Power                                                                                         50
M2Tech Hiface                                                                                                         40

Note the two major leaps - one by adding the ICRON/Startech GB LAN Iso Audio USB Extender into the chain.  Then the bigger leap away from USB completely to the REDNET3 Dante AES67 AOIP.  The Mutec 3+ did not help as an ext Word Clock to the RD3 - but after the RD3 as a SPDIF reclocker - excellent.

Hi,
the MX-U8 is the latest version(XU208) or older than 1.7?
because I'm thinking buy the MX-U8 XU208 or the SU-1

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #2,500 of 3,865
About the "Mutec 3+" you mention here (but elsewhere as well including your score lists), there's of course the Mutec MC-3+ and the Mutec MC-3+ USB which I believe you tested. The latter is not just a MC-3+ with an USB port. Functionally it is but it's a newer version which also had an internal re-design for better re-clocking and overall performance. I remember one person who had three MC-3+ which could be replaced with one MC-3+ USB offering the same SQ performance.

There's much more information and detail in the Mutec MC-3+ thread on CA (which after some pages also starts to discuss the MC-3+ USB). http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mutec-mc-3-a-17300/
Yeah but it kinda sucks to sell their old technology and not update it.

It's also somewhat deceptive to call them both MC-3+ Smart Clocks. The USB version should called something like 3.1+, or Smart Clock II.

I posted those pics to show the PS upgrades.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,501 of 3,865
Hey RB,

With the RedNet 3 + Mutec, does the Mutec reclocker also have BNC-type connectors for the ins & outs that correspondingly connect to the RedNet?

& are you still using your 1.5m AudioSensibility Statement SE S/PDIF Digital Cable for your comparisons? Right now, - i have a 1m APL built SPDIF cable, - that "fits" nicely. I don't think that this is an all silver cable, - and with the rest of my system, I've found that some silver cables make things a bit thin in the midrange.... just curious, - and thanks in advance...

Cheers,

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #2,503 of 3,865
I know us poor F-1 owners are now second fiddle but wanted to post a quick update: with the F-1 I2S to the soekris dac I no longer really need the Icron Lan. It definitely contributes, but the sound quality is so good without it that it's not worth the $500 in my setup. Luckily there is still time to return to Amazon...

Next up is the DIYINHK XU216 I2S board. Curious how it will compare to the F-1...

The soekris though... soooo good for the money.

Jun 9, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #2,504 of 3,865
I know us poor F-1 owners are now second fiddle but wanted to post a quick update: with the F-1 I2S to the soekris dac I no longer really need the Icron Lan. It definitely contributes, but the sound quality is so good without it that it's not worth the $500 in my setup. Luckily there is still time to return to Amazon...

Next up is the DIYINHK XU216 I2S board. Curious how it will compare to the F-1...

Just placed an order for the f-1 and will run it with i2s, with shortest rj45 possible, no socket. One of the ebay sellers had it for 150 usd or so shipped. Great deal.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #2,505 of 3,865

Nice!  Sounds like they go well together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back