XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jun 3, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #2,266 of 3,865

I have. They both use some form of the JetPLL tech. Dangerous claims their implementation has been refined, though I'm not sure what exactly that means.

I found an improvement using the Convert-2's clock as the master vs the D16 internal clock. It wasn't massive, but it was definitely there.

Side note... Dangerous's customer service is absolutely outstanding. I've had some issues with the internal XMOS USB interface losing sync with my source (PC). That's what initially got me looking at a DDC, then the F-1, and in researching that, onto the Dante/RedNet solution. Dangerous hasn't seen this sync issue before, and they've been very engaged trying to diagnose it. Even though I've moved on from USB connectivity, I'd still like to figure out what was causing this and help them as well, in case they run into it again. They sent me an entirely new Convert-2 at their expense just so that I could try it out and make sure it isn't my specific DAC with the issue. 

Thanks

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,268 of 3,865
Has anybody read anything about support for jumbo frames or large MTU lik MTU 9000 packet sizes on the Rednet devices?
Might be another reason to keep the device of my LAN and on a seperate NIc-port on the PC

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,269 of 3,865
Yes, you're right of course, need only 1 extra port

OK. So I missed something along the way.

Using REDnet on the PC you need two ethernet ports if you wan the PC to also be on a LAN? One dedicated to communicating with the REDnet device and one for Internet or remote control?

Can the PC not use one port for both REDnet traffic and LAN traffic?

Thanks!

EDIT: Read farther along and found my answer. Thanks...

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #2,270 of 3,865
Just for info,

I called and talked to tech at Focusrite,
Very friendly and understanding conversation, but basically said felt the majority of cost to the Rednet 3 was the Dante implementation,
An that scaling it down felt it would still probably have to be 3/4 the cost of a Rednet 3, but would pass it up the chain to check thoughts.

Said that basically spdif output was a cheap and easy implementation though and not a very significant cost.
(meaning that something using the proper Dante for 192k that didn't have spdif could be done easy enough)

---------

Also talked to Audinate and "they didn't know" of anyone else implementing spdif with Dante Ethernet. FWIW

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #2,271 of 3,865
It doesnt matter anyway. We all know the "audiophile" 2 channel version built by some other company will be $5000+.

I have not decided if I want the Rednet 3 or D16. I might have only one 176.4 album but i like the D16 form factor and the simple AES connection.

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #2,272 of 3,865
Whats the difference between Teradak dc-30W and the x1/x2?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5V-port-Linear-Power-Supply-/181467993450

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #2,273 of 3,865
  Listening to the RD3 w/ the Mutec reclocking it, the sound is very potent. I mean to me, it sounds very true to the source.

The way I would describe the sound is like whatever those microphones in the studio captured during the time of recording is what this combo is able to relay.
Pure and Unadulterated. It also helps if the rest of your system is transparent and resolving enough to reveal it.
Very very hard for me to hang up the headphones and give it a rest.
gs1000.gif

Ah…

The Superglue Syndrome!

JJ

Jun 5, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #2,274 of 3,865
Jun 5, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #2,275 of 3,865
  Whats the difference between Teradak dc-30W and the x1/x2?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5V-port-Linear-Power-Supply-/181467993450

DC-30W has better parts including an R-core transformer. Its voltage is also adjustable (I don't know if the X1 is adjustable). I am using one with USB Regen + F1 and it sounds excellent.

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #2,278 of 3,865
  Hm, I just noticed on the F-1 two points that say +5v and gnd (underneath the board). Wonder what that means?

The power stages of F-1 is:

[1] USB (5V), power XMOS --> [2] U16 (Mornsun B0505S-1WR2)(Isolated 5V) --> [3] U18 (LDO; 3.3V), power Xlinx & oscillators (CCHD-575)

+5v and gnd connected to output of Mornsun;
From the spec of Mornsun (4.5V~5.5V; Max ripple & noise 100mVpp; Switching at 100kHz), it actually is worse than 5V from USB; So it could be the weakest point of F-1 design.
From information of SU-1, SingXer upgrade it to a separate linear supply for 3.3V which use a low noise ADI LDO. How much this will influence the SQ of F-1, guess we have to wait till someone post a comparison between F-1 and SU-1.

Anyway, there are two possible mods to potentially improve the SQ,
(A) Remove U16 (Mornsun B0505S), and connect a better 5V source to the two through-holes you point to.
(B) or better, if you have a clean 3.3V power, remove U16 & U18, then connect the clean 3.3V directly to pin 17,19 of the 20 pin I2S connector

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #2,280 of 3,865

Yes - the ICRON and the Startech are the same thing (ICRON makes it for Startech).  Be sure it is the GB LAN version that does iso audio.

Yes a major improvement to the F-1.

NOT THIS ONE!  - does not support iso audio
http://www.l-com.com/usb-icron-usb-20-ranger-2304-lan-4-port-usb-20-ethernet-lan-usb-extender

NOT THIS ONE! - does not do 1GB LAN
https://www.icronshop.com/home/usb-20-ranger-2304

THIS ONE!

USB 2.0 RG2304GE-LAN

RG2304GE-LAN is a 4-port isochronous USB 2.0 extender across Gigabit Ethernet Local Area Network (LAN)

https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/usb-20-rg2304ge-lan

This looks very similar in principle to something like the microRendu, or any other sort of endpoint, where audio is first processed and then the results are streamed over a network to a device on the other end. One key difference looks like this can work with a 'local' player using Foobar, for example, whereas the microRendu needs to work with some sort of streaming solution.

But I wonder which solution sounds better- does it just come down then to which is better designed for audio? (low noise, voltage regulation, etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back