XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
May 18, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #1,666 of 3,865
I think somebody already tried the non-gigabit lan version and was getting stuttering and drop-outs in the music.
It was posted some pages back, you might have to look for it. @rb2013 if I recall, specifically said that only the USB2.0 over Gigabit Lan will work.

May 18, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #1,667 of 3,865
  I think somebody already tried the non-gigabit lan version and was getting stuttering and drop-outs in the music.
It was posted some pages back, you might have to look for it. @rb2013 if I recall, specifically said that only the USB2.0 over Gigabit Lan will work.

Hi and yes i remember well that.
Anyway stubbornly i will be trying again another one soon.
The 1st one i tried was a usb 1.1 device and while i indeed heard some benefits in the sound i experienced also clicks with my usb dac (Aune x1s).
It should pass up to 24/96 without issues (equivalent to  4.6 Mbit/s ?)
By the way, i have the feeling that ethernet connection is fantastic ... so much better than usb.
An evidence is in the max allowed length for cables ...

When used for 10/100/1000BASE-T, the maximum allowed length of a Cat 6 cable is 100 meters

Just compare it with the max 6 meters for usb and cry.
Thanks a lot, gino

May 18, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #1,668 of 3,865
  I got the Intona (standard version) yesterday. I dunno, it helps some but it's not nearly as good to my ears as the ifi nano iusb 3.0. The nano iusb I'd say is worth the $200 with or without the F-1. I should probably let the Intona settle in for a bit before judging more. RB was right about the F-1 responding better with a clean power supply. Also seems sensitive to cables/connectors. 

You needed the Industrial version, it's well documented that it's the preferred model and it shines when injected (split cable) with an LPS

May 18, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #1,673 of 3,865

No I don't believe the F-1 provides the isolation you ask like that.
I have the X-1, I plan on getting a Wyrd and probably 1 Jitterbug as a "budget" type power and purifier system.

Hi and thanks a lot again for the helpful advice.
From what they told me also the Wyrd does not provide galvanic isolation.
However i wonder if galvanic isolation is really mandatory.
People using for instance the Intona, a galvanic isolator, say it is beneficial for sound.
Thanks again, gino

Yah sorry if I didn't make that clear.
Wasn't meant to infer the Wyrd provided galvanic isolation.

Was just stating what my "budget" plan for purification/power direction was looking like.

Cheers man,
Keg

May 18, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #1,674 of 3,865

Yah sorry if I didn't make that clear.
Wasn't meant to infer the Wyrd provided galvanic isolation.
Was just stating what my "budget" plan for purification/power direction was looking like.
Cheers man,
Keg

Hi and thanks again,  I think that for the price the Wyrd must be bought without hesitation.  
It is a very useful accessory at a very nice price. 
Here in Europe is about double the price unfortunately 
I like it a lot.  For sure it provides some kind of beneficial isolation even if not galvanic. 
I have some cheap ones bought on ebay but said to be detrimental for sound. 
Regards, gino 

May 19, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #1,676 of 3,865
  Can anyone running F-1 with a Regen/Recovery/etc provide a subjective comparison between the performance of F-1 bus-powered vs in conjunction with one of those devices? 

iam running f1 with ifi iusb 3.o in chain
with ifi iusb3 or without is almost the same
so f1 alone is enough.
but i have lps ultra linear for the 5 volt usb so iam not using the computer 5 volt usb power

May 19, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,679 of 3,865

iam running f1 with ifi iusb 3.o in chain
with ifi iusb3 or without is almost the same
so f1 alone is enough.
but i have lps ultra linear for the 5 volt usb so iam not using the computer 5 volt usb power

I have tried nano iusb intona and ipurifier2. All help the f1 to some degree. Opens up the sound. Less congested. I do not use any linear power supplies...

Thanks. I currently use a mobile setup involving a laptop and Mojo. I guess I am trying to figure out if having a bus-powered F-1 between them is actually worthwhile. The other option could be a y-split data/power USB cable with a LiPo battery powering the F-1, if indeed that is any 'quieter' than a Macbook battery...

May 19, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #1,680 of 3,865
Hi,

I just am running in my F-1 now with a microRendu.

For me, all those iFi, Intona, Regen boxes, (except for the unremovable Regen that's built into the microRendu), became obsolete with the Icron GB LAN ASIC extenders, & the upcoming PSAudio LanRover.

I would never consider such things & their PSUs, (where applicable), & cables as it almost guarantees an insignificant price difference vs performance.

Apologies in advance, my answer didn't quite answer the question that you asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back