XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
May 16, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,636 of 3,865
Hi,
Mine is on its way, allegedly, from Taobab: not a lot confidence that it'll get here....

Would appreciate if you post pictures. Are you going to solder the I2s pins on yourself? Do you have a cable lined up for it?

I would love to see pics of your final board.

Cheers,

May 16, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,637 of 3,865
I had the same sort of shipping problem.  I received a tracking number right away but that package never showed any movement.  I complained to the eBay seller "wsz0304" and then he sent me a DHL tracking number instead.  The "second" package arrived via DHL within a week to New Jersey.

IMHO - I don't know what the deal is with these sellers that send tracking numbers right away but then there always seems to be another number forthcoming later.  I have a feeling this could be to meet sort sort of eBay seller metrics.

May 16, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,639 of 3,865
  I had the same sort of shipping problem.  I received a tracking number right away but that package never showed any movement.  I complained to the eBay seller "wsz0304" and then he sent me a DHL tracking number instead.  The "second" package arrived via DHL within a week to New Jersey.
  IMHO - I don't know what the deal is with these sellers that send tracking numbers right away but then there always seems to be another number forthcoming later.  I have a feeling this could be to meet sort sort of eBay seller metrics.

I had a similar experience with wsz0304 with my F-1 order, tracking number was issued but it was given to DHL a week later, had to prod the seller to find out what was holding up the shipment.

This was after having to wait 2+ weeks for it to come back into stock.

wsz0304 was tardy with the delivery, a disappointing and increasingly common trend with quite a few Ebay sellers operating out of Shenzen.

May 17, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #1,640 of 3,865
A discrepancy between the real stock condition and that shown in any on-line store seems to be inevitable.
If you see "out of stock," you will definitely search for other stores.  Even if you ask the store directly, the reply is almost always positive, as long as it is a non-exclusive dealer.
In this particular F-1 at this moment, Shenzhen Audio (in various forms, such as its direct store, AliExpress, eBay) and the manufacturer are the only sellers, and there is no reason for them to suspend the delivery.  Obviously, F-1 was really out of stock.

May 17, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #1,641 of 3,865
Don't panic... my F-1 has just arrived from the eBay seller, the tracking no didn't work but it came well within 14 days (to the UK).

edit... I can't get the bloody driver to download, anyone care to share it with me?

edit again, found it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jma92ool3p16q3p/Singxer-USB-Audio-Class2-Driver_v3.20.0.exe

:wink:

May 17, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #1,642 of 3,865
May 17, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #1,643 of 3,865
  As I wrote few posts before: http://www.head-fi.org/t/803111/xmos-xu208-usb-bridges-the-latest-gen-has-arrived/1620#post_12584598 no it's not in stock.

Gino, 

Obviously it's not in stock !

And I think MINORISUKE is perfectly right, F1 is probably not in stock but resellers still pretend that's ok to maximise their profits.

My issue is just they still pretend to have shipped the item when it's obviously not the case

May 17, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #1,644 of 3,865
OK, I tried the F-1 in my Aurender chain and it didn't work, but it turns out that it's the W4S Recovery that shuts down due to some kind of USB power protection issue and there is a revised Recovery version that is supposed to fix that.

So without the recovery in the chain: Aurender N100 > Intona Industrial > Singxer F-1 into my Auralic VEGA DAC right on the 1st track I can tell that this is a nice piece of work. I can't right now say if it's better than the already astounding sound I'm getting via the VEGA's USB input but I will now leave it on play for a few days and report back. It sounds a bit loose and bright right now but that's always how new digital stuff sounds to me, after a few days everything usually mellows tightens, opens and gets richer.

I think this is going to be a very good sounding device, shame I can't do a perfect compare with the Recovery in the chain, let's hope W4S play nice with me regarding getting the updated version as I'm in the UK and they have a bit of an un-trusting overseas support policy, I've asked nicely for their help.

@rb I know you will be reading this, look forward to catching up 'down the road', hope you are well.

:wink:

May 17, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #1,645 of 3,865
A REQUEST

If anyone is able to modify the latest F1 driver so that it is able to show control panel (for changing latency settings), that would be very much appreciated!

This was done previously to a Gustard U12 luckit driver. I don't know if that one works with the F1 but, in any case, it is a few years old and not ideal to use.

Thanks in advance 

May 17, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #1,646 of 3,865
Hi,

Here's a pic of my F-1 in my chain, sitting happily plugged into the microRendu and off to my APL Universal......

I was able to drill a very good whole into the back plate of the aluminum case, - but the USB female port side didn't come out so well. Once the SPDIF side is screwed down though, - the case F-1 is secure inside, and doesn't slide around at all. No contact is made with the back plate, - but a little piece of white electrical tape makes sure. I may try a new SPDIF cable in a couple of weeks, or perhaps a Curious cables Regen link, - but for now, - it's just the USB converter plug supplied by Sonore.

I only got a chance to listen for 1/2 hour last night. But first impressions are that this guy is GREAT! Lots of detail without being bright, the system still retains it's mid-range bloom that it's always had, and it doesn't affect that lovely sound of the microRendu. Without doing any "back n forth" with the HiFace II I was using, - I believe that I'm hearing more detail... But as mentioned, further testing will be coming......

May 17, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #1,647 of 3,865
X-1 UPDATE HERE.

Pretty much been listening non stop daily for roughly the past couple weeks.
First impressions stayed the same, better overall resolution, smoother and a more solid center image.
(no issues, solid locks, and used with 3 different DAC'S)

I really wanted to upgrade/change my cables after all the research led to what I had wasn't the best, figured it couldn't hurt.

I ended up with this cable as a bang for buck with all the proper specs. (the link I had earlier in this thread was an incorrect listing)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CS-Signature-Series-77-Coaxial-Digital-Audio-Interconnect-Cable-1-5m-/360491347331?hash=item53eef56d83:g:bG8AAOSwu4BViLms

(first off not a big cable guy here, yes I've heard differences but couldn't really justify some of the prices for "maybe" a slight improvement)
So my cable came in and I swapped out my 1m XLO, instantly smoother, more bottom with even a fuller vocal range, and less tizzy up top.

At first I wasn't for sure I liked the top end, seemed maybe a bit to subdued, but after more listening I believe it started to open up, and cleaner.
(Part of the difference may have also been a fake grunge like added to the top that made it seem less was there, but it wasn't real material?)

After letting run for 24hours it did sound more open, I then added 2 snap on ferrite cores to the cable, now even cleaner, smoother and clearer.

I'm still using USB power for the X-1, running an well shielded USB cable with an ferrite core at each end has worked extremely nice here as well.
(I plan on some kind of external power for the X-1, but for now there is Nothing but the X-1 on any USB, and I feel is decently clean on this pc)

I don't know about others but the ferrite on the cables has been a very welcomed addition here on my setup.
I'd also say the Canare cable from ebay is a very nice and well made cable.

Cheers all.. :)

May 17, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #1,649 of 3,865
  Hi ! they have it in stock right now ...

http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/f-1-xmos-usb-digital-interface-board-xu208-chip-high-end-u8-upgraded-version.html

I have one question and sorry if i missed it.

Does the F-1 provide also galvanic isolation between upstream pc and downstream dac ?  

i am trying to understand if i could go with it and just a decent usb power supply to power it
Thanks and regards,
gino

No I don't believe the F-1 provides the isolation you ask like that.

I have the X-1, I plan on getting a Wyrd and probably 1 Jitterbug as a "budget" type power and purifier system.

May 17, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,650 of 3,865
Hi,

Thank you......

I am running a microRendu by Sonore in LMS/Squeezelite mode off of a QNAP TS 251+ NAS in the other room, connected by fiber with two FMCs & a couple of 1ft Rosewill CAT7 cable.

I have an APL SPDIF cable going into my APL Universal player, - and that goes into the Merlin BAM and then on to a Blue Circle BC204 hybrid amp and Merlin VSM speakers..... you can just barely see the back of the Teradak 9v, 3a 30w LPS that powers the microRendu.

My macMini USB bus died a horrible death in January, - so I've been without 2/3 of my music on the main rig for 5 months. I  run 3 Squeezeboxes in the rest of the house.....

Will be trying Roon out as soon as I upgrade the NAS firmware/OS.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back