XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
May 10, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,381 of 3,865
"Startech 4 Port USB>LAN arrived this morning.

I swapped out the Intona Industrial for the Startech (left everything else as is) to make a proper 1 box change comparison. It has only taken 1 track for me to conclude that the Intona is considerably better in my system = it's staying!"

One track?! Now that's some REALLY narrow musical taste:wink:

Yah - you don't hafta go all 6moons on it, but even I would say in this case a longer head to head might be warranted :)

May 10, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #1,382 of 3,865
Hi, which cables did you think were Oyaide's?

The mains cables are DIY off of eBay, which are about to be replaced with 'Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Black'... the signal cables are DIY silver balanced made. The only non DIY branded cable I have is the short Curious USB.

:wink:

May 10, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #1,383 of 3,865
"Startech 4 Port USB>LAN arrived this morning.

I swapped out the Intona Industrial for the Startech (left everything else as is) to make a proper 1 box change comparison. It has only taken 1 track for me to conclude that the Intona is considerably better in my system = it's staying!"

One track?! Now that's some REALLY narrow musical taste:wink:

Yah - you don't hafta go all 6moons on it, but even I would say in this case a longer head to head might be warranted
smily_headphones1.gif

No, it was too obvious to waste any more time comparing. I suspect that the Startech SMPS probably ruined the highly optimised environment and it suits me fine to leave everything as was.

Give that Startech an LPS and it may well perform as well as the Intona but I'm not concerned about loosing out now I've done the comparison.

May 10, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #1,384 of 3,865
  Is there a consensus on the length of usb cable suggested?

I mean is something to short or to long for sure?

I think - yes the shorter the better.  For example with the totl LH Labs 10g many reported the 0.8M sounded better then the 1M

IME, the shorter the better, you could easily make your own or get some of the short 'Curious Cables'.

I like the split USB cables - so only the data leg need bi used - this keep power completely away from the data lines.  But yes Curious has some nice cables.  I tried a 1M USB vs the 2G  - way preferred the 2G (and was cheaper).  That said for the link between the Recovery and the F-1 the short 200mm Curious was great

May 10, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #1,385 of 3,865
  Received the F1 today. Since I've been using an IDAC2 I was forced to buy another dac with coax to try out the F1. I used this as an opportunity to try out several from Amazon: the Micromega MyDac and the Peachtree DaciTx. Sorry, I have a very limited budget so no mega buck dacs to brag about. I also have a micro idsd arriving tomorrow since that has coax in - I love my IDAC2 and I will likely have micro replace it with the F1.

So I've been listening to the F1 with the MyDac and Dacit tonight and...drumroll....... not really impressed.

Just kidding! The F-1 is awesome! Granted I have been using strictly usb-based dacs for the past 4 years so I have never tried the Breezes or PUCs, etc etc. The last spdif converters I used were tenor-based. They did not sound this good. The F-1 is an absolute bargain for what it does. With only a few hours on it, music is clean and clear. No treble energy or edginess. The sonic presentation vs. usb w/ IP2 is no contest. The F-1 takes the dacs to another level and without changing the character of the dacs. The MyDac in particular has 3-D qualities and a midrange forward nature that shines with the F-1. With just the usb it was okay, not nearly as good as the IDAC2. Same with the DacIT.

These comparisons were done with just a diy coaxial cable (Audioquest all silver wire). I added the IP2 with the F-1 for a few minutes but for some reason that did not sound that great. Could be the IP2 needs to break in again since it's been unused for a while or synergy issues. I'll try again later.

With a limited budget for me any over $100 really has to perform to be worthwhile. USB regen stuff like the IP2 I've found to make small differences but not night and day. The F-1 is night and day. I will definitely spread the word. I admit I was *real* skeptical about rb's, er, enthusiasm but what can I say. This is a *must have* component. Thanks rb!

w

I completely understand your skeptism - but you smartly suspended it and tried the F-1 - great hear you like it!  I agree just an amazing audio bargain!

Cheers

May 10, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,386 of 3,865
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster!

I just got a wyrd/f1 combo, using a raspberry pi with volumio os (which sounds great!). Right off the bat getting incredible sound! cool bonus is this setup requires no usb cables - two usb adapters with the f1 and rpi stuck right in the back of the wyrd.

My question is, I kind of prefer optical input with my dac (old tweaked eac dsp-7000mkIII). How hard would it be to swap out the coax out for an optical out? As for my skill level, i own a solderin iron, but i am pretty clumsy with it.

Thanks,
Eric

You check DIYinHK I think they have a 192k SPDIF optical board - very inexpensive.  But you still have electro-optical couplers that add jitter.

Please post some close-ups from the "Big Black Block" to identify it, then I can tell you if it's possible what you were suggesting!

If you look closer at the pcb, you should see several regulators on board. What you can do, if you want the best of the best, which means INFINITE PSSR to other stages, is power EVERY stage, which is behind a regulator, seperately.
But, that is a very complex and comprehensive solution. As rb2013 mentioned, this is the way I powered my DAC, EVERY stage with separate psu, fed by separate R-Core, fed by separate EMI/RFI filter.
Since R-Cores (the ones with Electrostatic AND copper shield) have very low emissions, it's not a problem at all to have more of them in the same enclosure. Just be sure to isolate the electronics pcb's with EMI/RFI suppression/absorbing materials

Here Alex :

May 10, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,387 of 3,865

The Magnepan's are great sounding speakers, at least if the foils are in good condition and indeed, if fed with a very good amp. Those 1.6qr's are available for less than $1000 a pair, even in excellent condition
which makes them a real bargain!
I heard lots of them in the past, compared with Martin Logan's, Final's (Dutch design) and a few others To be honest, I like planar's and electrostatics a lot, but very often they produce a soundstage
which isn't at the right proportions. A guitar, for example, shouldn't be pictured as big as a contrabas (measurement wise)...

What kind of amp do you use? Is it the silver one on the floor?

I once demonstrated my Class-A mosfet (which I still own and use) at Dutch Final distributor. He got very excited when my amp got those foils swinging until they really created sparks when foils hitting the stators.....
He never heard them playing that loud and didn't experienced this kind of behavior before, he hadn't expect this.
I knew this was going to happen  because amp is 100% stable till 0.5 - ZERO DOT FIVE Ohms.... It can deliver lots of amps, if needed. Electrostatics and Planars do like those kind of amps a lot.

F1.2-converted-e1415927683208.jpg
 Final 1.2

Those Finals look small, but they aren't, they are 2.0 meters high

Nowadays I use Dynamic speakers, with planar tweeter. Still want to try planar mids too, maybe a project for coming winter....

EDIT: NOT going to start this project, but this is what I posted an hour ago:
"ON topic:

I got an offer I couldn't refuse, from a Head-Fi member. He is willing to provide me with F1, and modding / enclosure materials, to test with the device and compare it with RPI3/DAC+Pro.
This project will include a very nice Black anodised Alumin(i)um enclosure, fed with seperate psu's/r-cores/emi-rfi filters. I will probably use Twisted Pair's Digital Teleporter Transceiver
for I2S connection over standard CAT5+ at a max of 100ft. This way I can test it with my own DAC and compare it to RPI3/DAC+Pro

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/teleporter.aspx "

Well the issue with the Maggies - they have to be placed in the right sized and shaped room.  Then extreme care must be used in placement - I found for my room (ideal size for the 1.6qr) 3ft from back wall, 3ft from side wall.

The cables are critical!  I went through 7 different ones - including Nordost Valhalla, Synergistic Apex Tesla Active - these Tellurium Q Ultra Blacks were heads above.  The amp is another amazing audio find:   The Bada SE 3.3 - heavily modded with Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil Caps (these alone were close to $1000), ELNA Similic II 'lyctics, etc.  The amp is a Class A hybrid design - runs Class A for the first 30Watts then biases over to A/B to 160W.  Uses two massive toroidal transformers for the Toshisba outputs - one for each channel - then a separate R-core for the 6922 tube pre-section (this amp is a beast to lift!).  Another big improvement -my 'Holy Grail' very rare 1975 Reflektor Single Wire Getter Post Silver Shield 6N23P - the finest audio tube I have ever owned!.

I have two of these amps - one in my office one in my main room.  They are the most extraordinary amps I have ever heard.  I went through a SS phase owning a half dozen of the best Krell, PASS, Mark Levinison, etc...  That didn't cut it for me, then went all tube - including a few 300B and about a dozen KT-88 and 6550 based.  After an amazing write up by Harry Pearson in Absolute Sound - bought the 200W a channel 8 tubes ASL Hurricane Mono Blocks.  I had three version of this amp - the last being a heavily modded (By Response Audio) with all V-CAP Teflon caps (The mods cost $10,000 - back then a V-CAP was $300 each).  I rolled through $5000 in tubes and settled for GEC KT-88s and Tungsol Round plate VT231's. This fed a $30,000 pair of Talon Firebird Diamonds.  Pre-amp the $16,000 Conrad Johnson ACT2.  I used two Velodyne DD-12's for subs - that's another $6000.  Feeding this was the APL NWOjr DAC and a $30K analog rig.  Wiring was all Nordost Valhalla then SR Apex Tesla (another $12,000).

Let me say this $1000 Bada - before the Mundorf recapping equaled the V-CAP Hurricanes and CJ ACT2!  So I bought two.  They don't make this version anymore - just a 4 12au7 one.

The sound then could lift the roof - the Vel's alone had 3,000 Watts combined power.  The Firebirds 11in Focal Woofers in 300lb 6in thick laminate cabinets.  The Aluminum spikes on the bottom along weighted 10lbs each.

But I have to say the life like and life sized imaging and as I described total immersion presentation today beats that $100,000 system!  For a tiny fraction of the price!  Just the cost of the Dynavector (and I had a Benz Ebony LP cart as well) - I could buy my whole system now.  To my ears the guitars are the absolute perfect size and height and tone - I know as I'm a guitar player.

I post this just so folks know my reference point - I have been going at this audio thing with gusto for 25yrs.  I have over 200 transactions on audiogon alone (rb99).
So I think I have a pretty good handle on what great audio should sound like.  Right now - it's the best I ever had!  Seriously - this little F-1 - is just plain magic.   I no longer judge audio equipment by the sticker price - but by their sonic abilities.

We live in extraordinary audio times!
Cheers
beerchug.gif

May 10, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #1,388 of 3,865

No, it was too obvious to waste any more time comparing. I suspect that the Startech SMPS probably ruined the highly optimised environment and it suits me fine to leave everything as was.

Give that Startech an LPS and it may well perform as well as the Intona but I'm not concerned about loosing out now I've done the comparison.

Great the Intona works for you - My Startech is going no where!

Update the Mutec will be here in two weeks!

Cheers

May 10, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,389 of 3,865

Great the Intona works for you - My Startech is going no where!

Update the Mutec will be here in two weeks!

Cheers

Cool, as long as all the good people here are in love with their systems that's all that matters, different configs still lead to audio nirvana.

I'm looking forward to getting the F-1... just brought a solid case for it, it's going to be tight but I'm hoping it might just go in, maybe a bit of trimming required : http://www.tme.eu/en/details/g112-ip67/multipurpose-enclosures/gainta/. I might have to go the next size up if it won't go in..

May 10, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,390 of 3,865

I no longer judge audio equipment by the sticker price - but by their sonic abilities.

We live in extraordinary audio times!

Same here bud... I stopped listening to sales people years ago, it's all about knowledge sharing.

Remember the days of single brand systems? - sounds crazy to me now, used to have all naim feeding my ATCs.

May 10, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,391 of 3,865

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster!

I just got a wyrd/f1 combo, using a raspberry pi with volumio os (which sounds great!). Right off the bat getting incredible sound! cool bonus is this setup requires no usb cables - two usb adapters with the f1 and rpi stuck right in the back of the wyrd.

My question is, I kind of prefer optical input with my dac (old tweaked eac dsp-7000mkIII). How hard would it be to swap out the coax out for an optical out? As for my skill level, i own a solderin iron, but i am pretty clumsy with it.

Thanks,
Eric

You check DIYinHK I think they have a 192k SPDIF optical board - very inexpensive.  But you still have electro-optical couplers that add jitter.

Please post some close-ups from the "Big Black Block" to identify it, then I can tell you if it's possible what you were suggesting!

If you look closer at the pcb, you should see several regulators on board. What you can do, if you want the best of the best, which means INFINITE PSSR to other stages, is power EVERY stage, which is behind a regulator, seperately.
But, that is a very complex and comprehensive solution. As rb2013 mentioned, this is the way I powered my DAC, EVERY stage with separate psu, fed by separate R-Core, fed by separate EMI/RFI filter.
Since R-Cores (the ones with Electrostatic AND copper shield) have very low emissions, it's not a problem at all to have more of them in the same enclosure. Just be sure to isolate the electronics pcb's with EMI/RFI suppression/absorbing materials

Here Alex :

Hi Bob, can you, or somebody else, zoom-in on the big black capacitor alike component? Is there any text on it?

May 10, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,392 of 3,865
Incidentally-- is this the same thing for cheaper?  Or is this not the 1GB version?  I'm guessing it isn't the 'correct' version cause it's 330.00, yah?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016884-REG/startech_usb2004ext2_4_port_usb_2_0_extender.html

May 10, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #1,393 of 3,865

Cool, as long as all the good people here are in love with their systems that's all that matters, different configs still lead to audio nirvana.

I'm looking forward to getting the F-1... just brought a solid case for it, it's going to be tight but I'm hoping it might just go in, maybe a bit of trimming required : http://www.tme.eu/en/details/g112-ip67/multipurpose-enclosures/gainta/. I might have to go the next size up if it won't go in..

Yes!  I'm still curious as to the upcoming Regen, JCAT USB galvanic isolators and of course the PS Audio LANRover....good times, good times!

Same here bud... I stopped listening to sales people years ago, it's all about knowledge sharing.

Remember the days of single brand systems? - sounds crazy to me now, used to have all naim feeding my ATCs.

I had an all Kenwood back in 1979!  Still love their styling.  No I'm all about bang for the audio buck for sure.

May 10, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #1,394 of 3,865
  Incidentally-- is this the same thing for cheaper?  Or is this not the 1GB version?  I'm guessing it isn't the 'correct' version cause it's 330.00, yah?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016884-REG/startech_usb2004ext2_4_port_usb_2_0_extender.html

NO that's not it! ICRON/Startech make a non-LAN 4 port USB extender.  It must be the 1GB LAN USB Extender!  It's tricky as they look similar

This: Startech USB2G4LEXT2
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-330-Feet-Ethernet-Extender-USB2G4LEXT2/dp/B00HFGQESY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

NOT this: Startech USB2004EXT2
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Extender-over-Cat5/dp/B004EFZC5A/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1462893523&sr=1-3&keywords=startech+usb+4+port+extender

May 10, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #1,395 of 3,865

If you scroll down the page its 480mb.     Curious if the 1GB version sounds that much different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back