XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 20, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #496 of 3,865
My first impression for the F-1 XMOS USB interface : 5 stars.

I got my F-1 board yesterday. The build quality is better than what I expected, better than it on the pictures. The first thing made me very happy was that it worked with my little Linux-based single board music server. Then, I am getting happier and happier after I started listening.

I'd agree both reviews from rb2013 and Caper. The treble was very detailed - but not edgy or digitized. The base was much better than anything I've heard before with my speaker setup. But the most that surprised me was that I started to believe in the first time that digital music will soon be able to have a real battle with vinyl recordings. My teenage son walked by and thought the music was coming from my vinyl setup - that never happened before. The treble was clear so that I heard wider and deeper sound stage. The base was extended. In addition to the treble and base, the mid range (human voice, etc) were very good too. Altogether, it sounded well balanced and clean. As the result, everything sounded both natural and neutral to me. I lost my interest very quickly in analyzing the SQ of the board. The music draw my attention more than ever. It just sounded right. After two - three hours listening, the sound even improved (the burn-in).

In case of considering the synergy of a specific system, I would say that it was on the "warm" side to me (the rest of my system is on the resolution side - tube pre and power driving B&W N805s). It brought out a lot of details, but it did not draw my intention on those details (like some of the Sabre 9018 based DACs do) - The details were there, but they didn't yield at you. I am using a R-2R DAC (Schiit Gungnir Multibit) and I felt it was warm. but I would bet that this board would fit very well to most sigma-delta DACs.

One note about the circuit. I compared the pictures of F-1 with the SU-1. One difference is that the F-1 is "fully" isolated between the USB side and the "wave reshaping/recover" side after the GMR chips. However, the power for the second part is from a DC-DC converter (the big-tall-black box) in the middle of the board. I suspect these DC-DC converter would generate noises. In the SU-1, the power supply of the second part is LPS 5v (the black and red wires). I am thinking to remove it and supply clean power to the second part of the circuit - there are holes on the board reserved for this purpose. But for now, I would just sit down and listen to my CDs.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #497 of 3,865

I got my F-1 board yesterday. The build quality is better than what I expected, better than it on the pictures. The first thing made me very happy was that it worked with my little Linux-based single board music server. Then, I am getting happier and happier after I started listening.

I'd agree both reviews from rb2013 and Caper. The treble was very detailed - but not edgy or digitized. The base was much better than anything I've heard before with my speaker setup. But the most that surprised me was that I started to believe in the first time that digital music will soon be able to have a real battle with vinyl recordings. My teenage son walked by and thought the music was coming from my vinyl setup - that never happened before. The treble was clear so that I heard wider and deeper sound stage. The base was extended. In addition to the treble and base, the mid range (human voice, etc) were very good too. Altogether, it sounded well balanced and clean. As the result, everything sounded both natural and neutral to me. I lost my interest very quickly in analyzing the SQ of the board. The music draw my attention more than ever. It just sounded right. After two - three hours listening, the sound even improved (the burn-in).

In case of considering the synergy of a specific system, I would say that it was on the "warm" side to me (the rest of my system is on the resolution side - tube pre and power driving B&W N805s). It brought out a lot of details, but it did not draw my intention on those details (like some of the Sabre 9018 based DACs do) - The details were there, but they didn't yield at you. I am using a R-2R DAC (Schiit Gungnir Multibit) and I felt it was warm. but I would bet that this board would fit very well to most sigma-delta DACs.

One note about the circuit. I compared the pictures of F-1 with the SU-1. One difference is that the F-1 is "fully" isolated between the USB side and the "wave reshaping/recover" side after the GMR chips. However, the power for the second part is from a DC-DC converter (the big-tall-black box) in the middle of the board. I suspect these DC-DC converter would generate noises. In the SU-1, the power supply of the second part is LPS 5v (the black and red wires). I am thinking to remove it and supply clean power to the second part of the circuit - there are holes on the board reserved for this purpose. But for now, I would just sit down and listen to my CDs.

Excellent, like the variation on 'even my wife thought it sounded good', lol. Getting mine next week. Will be interesting to see if you pursue the improved ps ideas. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #498 of 3,865

Great review!  I'm very interested in your ideas on removing the DC-DC converter.  Gathering up good modding ideas!

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #499 of 3,865
I would be particularly interested in any comparisons with either the Berkeley Alpha USB or the Mutec MC3+ USB units. I have the Mutec and am using the AES out into my Yggy that is in my speaker system. It really made a nice difference in my system as compared to Yggy's USB input. I use it with an REGEN Amber.

I would love to put one in my headphone system but they are a bit pricey. I would jump on the F1 if it was close...

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #500 of 3,865
  I would be particularly interested in any comparisons with either the Berkeley Alpha USB or the Mutec MC3+ USB units. I have the Mutec and am using the AES out into my Yggy that is in my speaker system. It really made a nice difference in my system as compared to Yggy's USB input. I use it with an REGEN Amber.

I would love to put one in my headphone system but they are a bit pricey. I would jump on the F1 if it was close...

Thanks!

Well let's see the Berkeley Alpha is $1800 and the Mutec Mutec MC-3Plus Smart Clock USB is over $1000.  It would be great to beat them with a $180 unit...maybe asking too much.  Only a listening could say for sure.

Someone offered to lend me his Mutec - so we'll see.

I do have to say the F-1 is better then the $800 Hydra Z and $480 PUC2 Lite - both of which I owned for an extended period of time.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #501 of 3,865

Well let's see the Berkeley Alpha is $1800 and the Mutec Mutec MC-3Plus Smart Clock USB is over $1000.  It would be great to beat them with a $180 unit...maybe asking too much.  Only a listening could say for sure.

Someone offered to lend me his Mutec - so we'll see.

I do have to say the F-1 is better then the $800 Hydra Z and $480 PUC2 Lite - both of which I owned for an extended period of time.

Thanks for the reply. 

We seem to be in the Springtime for computer audio and it really is changing fast. It is conceivable that a device like the F1 could approach those top ranked devices.Looking forward to what you hear from the Mutec..

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #503 of 3,865
Well I'm sold on the F-1. Just ordered one from Aliexpress, but I just got a message that they're out of stock until next Wednesday because you all have been buying too many. Cuirrently using the Breeze DU-U8 via I2S with my Audio-GD Master-11. I'll probably cut open one of my I2S cables and solder to the board instead of using the RCA.

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #504 of 3,865
  Mmmmm... ok:

considering F-1 board, linear power supply, Splitted usb cable from forza audio (tnx for that, didn't know they had it)... It cost the same as the SU-1!!

Wouldn't be better quality wise to buy the complete SU-1 instead of doing the chain? Remember I'd be using only coax...

I think a very good option would be start with the F-1, then check the new Uptone Audio device when it arrives in a few months. It seems that device will offer very clean power, full galvanic isolation and improved second generation developed re-clocking... there is no specific info yet, but a recent post by Alex at CA implies they now have a satisfactory working production sample.

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #505 of 3,865
Hi All !
I wonder how many times this poor usb signal has to be reclocked before reaching the blessed dac chip
frown.gif

which maybe will reclock it again !!! 
eek.gif
   (like in my case)
i still think that a very good usb bridge, like this F-1, rightly powered (*) should be enough
Have a nice day
gino
biggrin.gif

(*)  galvanic isolation and very low noise.

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #506 of 3,865

Try through a USB hub. I gather the odd Mac has USB hardware that doesn't agree with some audio gear.

Ok we're cooking with hi-rez now.

It wasn't the USB implementation on the iMac but the S/PDIF signalling from the F-1 to the DAC. I was using an old OS Bel Canto DAC2 which for some reason wasn't reading the signal from the F-1.

I'm now back to the EE MiniMax DAC+ and all high-rez is playing, well up to 24/192 anyway. From what I can tell through Audirvana, the F-1 is capable of 24/768.

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #507 of 3,865
Yes - a good place to start.  The F-1 at $179 is a true bargain - now how much of an improvement you might witness will depend on your system.  I don't think it could hurt the sound.

Hi and thanks a lot again.  I think the same.   Replacing on element of a chain with another one with the same function but better can only improve the overall result.
I am sure of this.   No doubts.   However many of the ancillaries (power supplies, reclockers, etc.)  can be used also with the F-1.

The route for the PS is quite flexible as the TeraDak's have variable voltages - so can be set for 5VDC or 7VDC or 9VDC - depending on what device you are using.
The cheaper TeraDak X1/X2 even has a USB port set for 5VDC - so it's plug and play (and included a USB power cable) - but also has a 2.5mm DC port that can be set for say 8-9 VDC for the Regen or Recovery.
How do you beat that for $80 ! OK it doesn't have the cleanest regulators - so a DC Ipurifer can be added.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5V-port-Linear-Power-Supply-/181467993450?hash=item2a4055d56a:g:LzQAAOxyVVJR~9Nv

Do you mean that 30W model with the R-core transformer ?  and that if i buy the 9VDC model i can vary the Vout down to 5VDC ?
I have different devices to try that use different V in that range.
I was thinking to buy 2 or 3 iFi power ... but i guess the Teradak is better.
I have already the small one you mention. This one here

http://www.teradak.com/products/46.html

The use of a reclocker like the Regen and Recovery is helpful as they also have ultra low noise regulators built in.

From what i have read it seems that also these devices benefit from a better PS.   For instance the Regen is sold with a good quality SMPS.
But using a better linear PS is said to be beneficial.  Never tried it.
I have already a simple and cheap USB isolator bought on ebay.  It works but i do not know what it does to the sound.
Thanks a lot again.  gino

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #508 of 3,865
Switch 5 is to configure HDMI PIN1-3 and PIN7-9 phase, ON when the positive phase, OFF is inverted. (Note: ON, they can and Costa de decoder matching; OFF when you can and PS AUDIO match).
looking that the su-1 hdmi i2s pin it seems it support psaudio or audiogd master 7 with switch 5 off

hope somebody tested this with audiogd master 7 to know if its work

iam still waiting for my f-1 to arrive my audio gd nos 7 already in my hand now
cant wait any longer hahahaha

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #509 of 3,865

Ok we're cooking with hi-rez now.

It wasn't the USB implementation on the iMac but the S/PDIF signalling from the F-1 to the DAC. I was using an old OS Bel Canto DAC2 which for some reason wasn't reading the signal from the F-1.

I'm now back to the EE MiniMax DAC+ and all high-rez is playing, well up to 24/192 anyway. From what I can tell through Audirvana, the F-1 is capable of 24/768.

24/768 - Wow!

Well I'm sold on the F-1. Just ordered one from Aliexpress, but I just got a message that they're out of stock until next Wednesday because you all have been buying too many. Cuirrently using the Breeze DU-U8 via I2S with my Audio-GD Master-11. I'll probably cut open one of my I2S cables and solder to the board instead of using the RCA.

Wonder why they've become so popular...
biggrin.gif

Hi All !
I wonder how many times this poor usb signal has to be reclocked before reaching the blessed dac chip
frown.gif

which maybe will reclock it again !!! 
eek.gif
   (like in my case)
i still think that a very good usb bridge, like this F-1, rightly powered (*) should be enough
Have a nice day
gino
biggrin.gif

(*)  galvanic isolation and very low noise.

The reclocking is important to improve signal integrity - the higher the signal integrity - the lower the PHY and USB receiver's AGC has to work - this leads to lower 'packet noise' intermodulating through the DDC's PSR.  Each reclocking by a better fed femto clock lowers jitter - the initial data stream with lower jitter helps the clock.  The W4S Recovery uses Crystek clocks (some of the best).  The reason I'm not a fan of the Intona - it reclocks but with el-cheapo botl SiTime clocks...but the upcoming Uber-Regen will be an improvement on this.

Switch 5 is to configure HDMI PIN1-3 and PIN7-9 phase, ON when the positive phase, OFF is inverted. (Note: ON, they can and Costa de decoder matching; OFF when you can and PS AUDIO match).
looking that the su-1 hdmi i2s pin it seems it support psaudio or audiogd master 7 with switch 5 off

hope somebody tested this with audiogd master 7 to know if its work

iam still waiting for my f-1 to arrive my audio gd nos 7 already in my hand now
cant wait any longer hahahaha

Hope you like it

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #510 of 3,865

I think a very good option would be start with the F-1, then check the new Uptone Audio device when it arrives in a few months. It seems that device will offer very clean power, full galvanic isolation and improved second generation developed re-clocking... there is no specific info yet, but a recent post by Alex at CA implies they now have a satisfactory working production sample.

Didn't know if you saw this - I reposted a while back.  Comments from Uptone on the upcoming Uber-Regen:

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/9a/100x100px-LS-9acb55ce_TinySystem.jpeg[/img]
  1. Superdad
  2. Member of the Trade: UpTone Audio
  3. badge_headfier.v4215856669.png
  5. offline
  1. 51 Posts. Joined 4/2015

The hard part is the galvanic iso. Chips who can do that at full usb2.0 speed are rare, new and expensive. Afaik Intona has the only commercial chip right now .. few others are rumored to come.

No, the Intona is not based on a commercial chip.  Rather what they have done is write their own USB MAC processing core for an FPGA, then run it in two FPGAs separated by standard Silicon Labs digital isolators.  Unfortunately, they use one very average clock for the entire device--and they have it located on the "dirty" upstream side.  There is jitter added by both FPGAs and 350ps of jitter added by the isolators.  They reclock it all in the second FPGA, but there is broad debate about if that is the best place to reclock.  In addition, none of the voltage regulators they use in the device would be considered particularly low noise (at 55uVrms and 100uVrms).

The Intona does sound good with a REGEN after it though.  That's how I use it.  At least for another couple of months, when we will then release our uber-REGEN with, among a bunch of other enhancements, full galvanic isolation.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back