XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 13, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #256 of 3,865
I think most of the ddc stuff discussed in those threads isnt that useful if you really want better sound ... and/or care about your wallet & sanity. Alex's no-usb solution based on rpi & i2s might actually just be the best way forward. But then, it's just my opinion, dont let it spoil the new usb hype
smily_headphones1.gif

Makes me wonder why you opened this very thread in the first place. Hmmm.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #257 of 3,865

Makes me wonder why you opened this very thread in the first place. Hmmm.

So you get to question why I open a thread?  The hubris and dictatorial disposition of some folks here...'how dare someone open a thread to discuss a device I have not heard - but says it's better then the one I own and is way cheaper!'.  'Worse he does not think i2s is the supreme audio connection - without it anything is worthless'  Then I post 3-4 top of the line new DAC's from some of the best audio engineers and desigers in the industry today - ALL expensive from $2k to $15k and without i2s - to support my opinion.  'Out rage' 'Blasphamy' they say.  Then post a top reviewer - whose review of one of the best new DACs on the market - not using i2s - but spdif coax - to do his review (6moons on the Aqua HiFi La Scala 2).  The foam begins at the corners of their mouths!

Here is my advice - don't read my thread if you don't like it.  Do you think I'm in cohoots with some Chinese audio company?  I get a kickback?  I had to use a Chinese buying service and paid a 10% premium to order these...Really some people.

Anyway the feedback is already starting as to what I have been saying...like that would matter to you...hmmmm

But I will humor you, for the benefit of the new folks that might read this.

I started this thread because I came upon these while searching the Taobao website looking for new XMOS DDCs, I saw these and thought this new 1000MIP generation of XMOS USB chips (with twice the processing power of the old U8) might yield some sonic benefit.  But even more interesting was the design and top quality components used in the F-1 (like the $20 a piece Crystek CCHD-575 clocks for audio and NDK SD clock for USB, and FPGA USB isolation, two stage ADI ultra low noise regulators, 4 layer board, etc..).  Previously available for $600+ in the Tanly unit.  For $157.  I said I got to try one.

That alone would be worth a try - but then I saw the $59 X-1 with the 1000MIPS XU208 with NDK SD clocks), again available only in the $180 Pro3a.  I have to try that one too.

Well they don;t have cases - big deal - I bought a nice alumimum case for $9 on Ebay - I can drill some holes and mount it.

It was when I plugged it in and heard it the first time that I was floored!  And sold my previous reference DDC the next day!  For 2 times more then the F-1 cost.

You'd think folks would be thanking me - spending my money and time to try a new unheard device - god knows I have spent plenty on dead ends and dead units (Melodious MX-U8).  But you know what they say about pioneers - 'they're the ones with arrows in their backs'.  But here I get arrows fired front and back.  To be fair I have had many folks thank me for this thread and the Gustard U12 thread I started - including OP!

So sir that is why I started this thread -
GOOD DAY TO YOU!

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #258 of 3,865
In honor of my friend prot (more wrong information passed as factual knowledge)- exciting news from Uptone.  I have been holding off trying a Intona USB galvanic isolator - due to the el-cheapo clocks they use for re-clocking.  This was posted on another thread by Uptone's @Superdad

I gotta try one of these new Uber-Regen's when available - the F-1 responds very well to the Regen and the Recovery:

22 hours, 19 minutes ago
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/9a/100x100px-LS-9acb55ce_TinySystem.jpeg[/img]
  1. Superdad
  2. Member of the Trade: UpTone Audio
  3. badge_headfier.v4215856669.png
  5. offline
  1. 51 Posts. Joined 4/2015

The hard part is the galvanic iso. Chips who can do that at full usb2.0 speed are rare, new and expensive. Afaik Intona has the only commercial chip right now .. few others are rumored to come.

No, the Intona is not based on a commercial chip.  Rather what they have done is write their own USB MAC processing core for an FPGA, then run it in two FPGAs separated by standard Silicon Labs digital isolators.  Unfortunately, they use one very average clock for the entire device--and they have it located on the "dirty" upstream side.  There is jitter added by both FPGAs and 350ps of jitter added by the isolators.  They reclock it all in the second FPGA, but there is broad debate about if that is the best place to reclock.  In addition, none of the voltage regulators they use in the device would be considered particularly low noise (at 55uVrms and 100uVrms).

The Intona does sound good with a REGEN after it though.  That's how I use it.  At least for another couple of months, when we will then release our uber-REGEN with, among a bunch of other enhancements, full galvanic isolation.  :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #260 of 3,865

So you get to question why I open a thread?  The hubris and dictatorial disposition of some folks here...'how dare someone open a thread to discuss a device I have not heard - but says it's better then the one I own and is way cheaper!'.  'Worse he does not think i2s is the supreme audio connection - without it anything is worthless'  Then I post 3-4 top of the line new DAC's from some of the best audio engineers and desigers in the industry today - ALL expensive from $2k to $15k and without i2s - to support my opinion.  'Out rage' 'Blasphamy' they say.  Then post a top reviewer - whose review of one of the best new DACs on the market - not using i2s - but spdif coax - to do his review (6moons on the Aqua HiFi La Scala 2).  The foam begins at the corners of their mouths!

Here is my advice - don't read my thread if you don't like it.  Do you think I'm in cohoots with some Chinese audio company?  I get a kickback?  I had to use a Chinese buying service and paid a 10% premium to order these...Really some people.

Anyway the feedback is already starting as to what I have been saying...like that would matter to you...hmmmm

But I will humor you, for the benefit of the new folks that might read this.

I started this thread because I came upon these while searching the Taobao website looking for new XMOS DDCs, I saw these and thought this new 1000MIP generation of XMOS USB chips (with twice the processing power of the old U8) might yield some sonic benefit.  But even more interesting was the design and top quality components used in the F-1 (like the $20 a piece Crystek CCHD-575 clocks for audio and NDK SD clock for USB, and FPGA USB isolation, two stage ADI ultra low noise regulators, 4 layer board, etc..).  Previously available for $600+ in the Tanly unit.  For $157.  I said I got to try one.

That alone would be worth a try - but then I saw the $59 X-1 with the 1000MIPS XU208 with NDK SD clocks), again available only in the $180 Pro3a.  I have to try that one too.

Well they don;t have cases - big deal - I bought a nice alumimum case for $9 on Ebay - I can drill some holes and mount it.

It was when I plugged it in and heard it the first time that I was floored!  And sold my previous reference DDC the next day!  For 2 times more then the F-1 cost.

You'd think folks would be thanking me - spending my money and time to try a new unheard device - god knows I have spent plenty on dead ends and dead units (Melodious MX-U8).  But you know what they say about pioneers - 'they're the ones with arrows in their backs'.  But here I get arrows fired front and back.  To be fair I have had many folks thank me for this thread and the Gustard U12 thread I started - including OP!

So sir that is why I started this thread -
GOOD DAY TO YOU!

?????????

Eh, who are talking to here? Sounds like you are responding to me but I'm not sure even sure.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #261 of 3,865
Reading about this new DIYinHK board using the new XMOS 200 Series XU216 - a two tile (each a XU208) this caught my eye:

There are many technical advantage:
1)The latest xmos xCORE-200 includes unique hardware divider and it is used to generate bit-clock from master clock directly.

So this may be why the XU208 sounds so much better then the old U8.  In addition to the 1000MIPS processing (twice the U8's 500MIPS), it looks like the xCore-200 series includes a unique hardward divider that is used to generate the bit-clock from the master clock directly.

Is it that these devices are using the NDK SD ultra low noise TXCO clocks for USB so much more effectively?

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/107-xmos-dsd-dxd-768khz-high-quality-usb-to-i2sdsd-pcb.html

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #262 of 3,865
Bob, my initial post was obviously directed towards prot, not you. So I have no idea where you're going with that tirade.

Btw, I have thanked you numerous times for both the suggestions of the Breeze DU-U8 and Cerious Graphene Extreme cables. And I have to thank you again for the IFI Purifier2 and 5v Ipower. This Purifier2 is a gem!

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #263 of 3,865
  Bob, my initial post was obviously directed towards prot, not you. So I have no idea where you're going with that tirade.

Btw, I have thanked you numerous times for both the suggestions of the Breeze DU-U8 and Cerious Graphene Extreme cables. And I have to thank you again for the IFI Purifier2 and 5v Ipower. This Purifier2 is a gem!

I also use breeze du u8
between the cerious and the purifier, which brings the best improvement in SQ?

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #264 of 3,865
  I also use breeze du u8

Hi Murph, I currently use the Luckit WaveIO and haven't plugged the Breeze in for a while. I lean slightly towards the WaveIO as my favorite over DU-U8. But I'll throw out an educated guess and say you should go with both the Cerious GE and and Purifier2 for DU-U8. Whatever your budget allows. Yeah, this Purifier2 is amazing me!

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #266 of 3,865

I am so sorry - accept my apologies.  I took it the wrong way - as 'why are you starting this thread to 'hype' this DDC' -agreeing with OP.

You see Pr** what a trouble maker you are.

Anyway - my rant was not directed entirely at you  - but well - let keep this thread positive! 

And you have thanked me  - maybe that's why I reacted the way I did.  Again my sincerest apologies.  Really happy you like these great audio products.

I just want to make an important point - just because I find something that sounds better in my systems - it may do nothing for yours.  If you have bought something like the Breeze DDC and I say I found something better - I'm in no way suggesting anyone sell it and buy my new recommendation.  Just because something new may sound better -it does not detract one iota from the sound quality of what came before.

This is NOT a zero sum game - it's amazing improvements for not a lot of money (well in Audiophile terms of $2000 cables).  I blog my findings for three reasons: 1) I learn from the sincere posters, even the ones who disagree (not those with an axe to grind or a chip on their shoulders), 2) I enjoy sharing what I have painstakingly found to work for me (again YMMV), 3) I hope to support small niche new companies that have taken a chance and built some device that will not get mentioned in the audio press - or who can afford advertising.  Its got to be word of mouth - this benefits all of us - whether you buy their product or not - because it encourages innovation and low prices.

Who would have thought the first (at least the first I have seen) implementation of the XMOS XCore 200 series chips would come from China? Not me for sure - maybe a copycat follow on product.  So Cheers to them.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #267 of 3,865
  I also use breeze du u8

That's a tough call - the iPurifer2 is a lot cheaper (around $90).  So I would start there.  I think with the TeraDak DC-30W the DC iPurifer (around $90) (won't work with the Breeze as it's ACtoDC PS is internal) is a great value - and probably better then the $250 (at least what I paid) Cerious Tech GE power cord.

BTW I have a Cerious Tech Graphene digital cable on the way - just to compare with the Audio Sensibilites Statement I have now.

He had a bunch of ads on Audiogon at great prices a day or two ago - now they have all been taken down but one.

Anyway it was offered at $199 vs the $299 regular price.  So we will see what that does.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #268 of 3,865

Hi Murph, I currently use the Luckit WaveIO and haven't plugged the Breeze in for a while. I lean slightly towards the WaveIO as my favorite over DU-U8. But I'll throw out an educated guess and say you should go with both the Cerious GE and and Purifier2 for DU-U8. Whatever your budget allows. Yeah, this Purifier2 is amazing me!

+1 Yes I agree on the iPurifier2 - a huge stepup over the original iPurifier which I had and sold (made very little difference).

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #269 of 3,865
Marvelous show guys
biggrin.gif

As for the Raspberry Pi you hype 
rolleyes.gif
to be the new 'Audio Nirvana'
tongue.gif
- it is wrought with issues.  It has clocks and needs power just like all audio products. And from what I have read so far, mediocre in SQ.  Not only that the interface is from 1979 - a joke.
deadhorse.gif

So go ahead and have fun with your Lego audio project - I'm very happy with what USB - albeit fine tuned - is sounding like.
beerchug.gif

Anyway that is best left for the Raspberry and Apple pie thread
blink.gif
...And to you sir I say:

GOOD DAY!

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #270 of 3,865
allright robert and RB2013, ill get the ipurifier2.
RB2013, thanks again for all this search you do!

anyone wants to get my second breeze du u8? brand new never even connected!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back