XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 15, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #301 of 3,865

Alright!  I love shootouts.

Have you tried the Intona with the Baby Breeze yet?  How does it sound?

Haven´t listened that much until today with the Intona in chain with the Baby Breeze.
Put on my reference FLAC rip, Touch by Yello.
Excellent mastering.

At first I wasn´t so impressed but after a while I realized it never sounded like this before.
The bass is so deep and the clarity is impressive.
I have a really small and cheap system compared to most in this forum.
Hegel H80 amp, Klipsch RP160M speakers and XTZ 10.17 subwoofer.

It´s really amazing that in even pretty low volumes I can actually feel the bass from this small system.
Pushing the amplifier more makes me realize that I can almost maximize the volume and it still sounds really good.
Before, running just USB directly to the amp I remember I could go to about 70% volume before it started to sound like the speakers was maxed out.

Can´t wait until the F1 arrives!

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #302 of 3,865
FYI For the $870 GUSTARD DAC-X20U Super Ultimate HIFI DAC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUSTARD-DAC-X20U-Super-Ultimate-HIFI-DAC-2xES9018-XMOS-USB-384KHZ-DSD64-128-256-/111708547958?ha

Not to impressive looking XMOS USB Card:

Here is the pinin config:

Try using the FreeshoppingChina.com buying service or contact Shenzen on Ebay and ask if the designer can reprogram the i2s pinout to match the Gustard inputs.  Worth a shot.

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #303 of 3,865
  Haven´t listened that much until today with the Intona in chain with the Baby Breeze.
Put on my reference FLAC rip, Touch by Yello.
Excellent mastering.

At first I wasn´t so impressed but after a while I realized it never sounded like this before.
The bass is so deep and the clarity is impressive.
I have a really small and cheap system compared to most in this forum.
Hegel H80 amp, Klipsch RP160M speakers and XTZ 10.17 subwoofer.

It´s really amazing that in even pretty low volumes I can actually feel the bass from this small system.
Pushing the amplifier more makes me realize that I can almost maximize the volume and it still sounds really good.
Before, running just USB directly to the amp I remember I could go to about 70% volume before it started to sound like the speakers was maxed out.

Can´t wait until the F1 arrives!

Good report on the Intona - it will be interesting to get your take on the F-1.  I would be surprised if it wasn't a major stepup.  You're going to power the F-1 with a Aqvox linear PS right?

Apr 15, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #304 of 3,865
  In this Youtube Video - it looks like the XMOS XCORE-200 XU216-512 DIYinHK board skips and ticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwg9Qhb8AIg

Although it looks like this board has been out for a few months - the F-1, X-1, Q1-S look to be the first plug and play boards using the XCore 200 series.

I wonder what the upcoming DIYinHK DXIO Pro4a will look like?  Based on the XU126 or Xu208?  Should be interesting.

PS in now over a week of 24/7 playing not a single unlock for the F-1.  Not one tick, click or pop - running at 192K SoX upsampling on all Redbook files.  My native 176k digitalized LPs same.  Just pure musical goodness.  Super reliable so far.

As a matter of fact, the clicks and skips that can be heard on this video are just me clicking on my mouse while seeking on Foobar, looking for louder passages that will make the OLED's needles jump a little more vigourously. This USB interface has no clicking or skipping problems whatsoever.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #305 of 3,865

As a matter of fact, the clicks and skips that can be heard on this video are just me clicking on my mouse while seeking on Foobar, looking for louder passages that will make the OLED's needles jump a little more vigourously. This USB interface has no clicking or skipping problems whatsoever.

Great to hear!  Had me worried for a moment.  In the past had a few XMOS U8 DDC's (Melodious MX-U8) with clicking and popping issues.  FYI I had a DIYinHK DXIO Pro3a go bad on me and will be getting one of the first Pro4a's when available.

BTW: Your blog on the Raspberry Pi for high end audio is very interesting!
http://www.dimdim.gr/2014/12/the-rasberry-pi-audio-out-through-i2s/
  The duration of the pulses appears to alternate between 11.33μS and 11.38μS, giving respectively 44.12KHz and 44.04KHz, values very close to the ones I calculated previously.
So, the theory is sound and the RPi’s clock is not up to snuff by strict standards. What this means is that the RPi’s I2S output is not capable of “Hi End” audio transmission. It is essentially not bit perfect (edit: this is not correct, strictly speaking. It is in fact bit perfect, it is just not “proper”.).
In the real world, chances are that this problematic clocking will not be particularly audible under normal circumstances, say with a normal-specc’ed sound system. But an audiophile should definitely steer clear of the RPi’s I2S output, instead opting for a USB to I2S interface.

P.S Edit:  @b0bb cleared up some of the issues you addressed in your blog about the RPi - over on this thread...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/797881/ddc-digital-usb-interfaces-xmos-or-amanero-combo384-based-raspberry-pi-hifiberry-dac-pro-reviews-comparison-modifications-and-usb-audio-in-general/30

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #307 of 3,865
  oh my god i just check taobao they already have finished product
but it costly man
very costly compare to melodius or gustard it cost $300
here is the pic

Hi ... yes but this one has also AES/EBU port and Wordclock in ... this is beautiful.  Are there any picture of the internals ? 
They could have provided also a DC socket for an external PS like for the Hydra Z ... i wonder which is the best unit
Maybe is a step above the Melodious at 60-70 USD more.   Very nice indeed.
Regards,  gino

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #308 of 3,865
  I mailed freechoppingchina and within 5 minutes I got a working password.
Nice service.

Do you mind sharing the password?
My F-1 should arrive on Monday and not sure if there will be Windows driver provided.
Thanks!

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #309 of 3,865
  Actually I have the Aqvox beföre the Intona in the chain, feels like a better idea.

That may not be optimal as the power feed from the Intona is around 400mA I believe (someone correct me if this is wrong) - certainly not enough to adequately drive the F-1

Hi ... yes but this one has also AES/EBU port and Wordclock in ... this is beautiful.  Are there any picture of the internals ? 
They could have provided also a DC socket for an external PS like for the Hydra Z ... i wonder which is the best unit
Maybe is a step above the Melodious at 60-70 USD more.   Very nice indeed.
Regards,  gino

Hey Gino,  It is beautiful!  No internals yet - it should be out in May.  It (SU-1) is AC powered like the Gustard U12, Breeze DU-U8, Audio Gd DI-U8 - so no external DC socket.

I had a Hydra Z and the F-1 (USB DC powered) is way better in my systems.

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #310 of 3,865

Hey Gino,  It is beautiful!  No internals yet - it should be out in May.  It is AC powered like the Gustard U12, Breeze DU-U8, Audio Gd DI-U8 - so no external DC socket.
I had a Hydra Z and the F-1 is way better in my systems.
Cheers!

Hi ! thanks a lot for the very interesting and informative thread. 
Better than the Hydra Z , from what i read around, is saying a lot.  A pretty definitive device.
I guess i have to put away money again ...
rolleyes.gif

Kind regards,  gino
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #311 of 3,865

Hi ! thanks a lot for the very interesting and informative thread. 
Better than the Hydra Z , from what i read around, is saying a lot.  A pretty definitive device.
I guess i have to put away money again ...
rolleyes.gif

Kind regards,  gino
biggrin.gif

Yes - I was floored when I first heard the F-1, sold my PUC2 Lite the next day.  The Hydra Z has been gone for some time.

I have another two F-1's coming  - one for my office system and another to try some mods on (cap upgrades).

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #312 of 3,865
My Ebay ordered F-1 just shipped yesterday - this was from the seller Shenzen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-1-XMOS-USB-Digital-Interface-Module-XU208-U8-upgraded-version/111961717820?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36469%26meid%3D3777d78eacf14e349830a5c09c02a008%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D111960639568

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #313 of 3,865
Yes - I was floored when I first heard the F-1, sold my PUC2 Lite the next day.  The Hydra Z has been gone for some time.
I have another two F-1's coming  - one for my office system and another to try some mods on (cap upgrades).
Cheers!

Hi ! as i said .. i start saving ...
wink.gif
 thanks for the link !
I would like to wait and see how much is the version in the box ... very very nice. I love it already. If too expensive i will buy the board.
IMHO and on the basis of some tests the usb to spdif conversion is key when the pc is the source.
When the spdif signal is of very good quality a dac sounds at its best.   I have already some dacs to try.  I have also the U2 and the Melodious old version.
In stock form i liked the Melodious better.  Not a bad unit indeed.   But we want always something more.
I am sure this product will be a big success ... there is a lot of interest on this things.
Regards,  gino

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #315 of 3,865
  That may not be optimal as the power feed from the Intona is around 400mA I believe (someone correct me if this is wrong) - certainly not enough to adequately drive the F-1

Cheers!

Ok, I will try and see if it works.
If not, put the Aqvox to feed the F1 directly.
Aqvox psu delivers 1000mA if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back