XMOD is Soundcard or Sound enhancer?
Jun 13, 2008 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

Sorry for being too much curious but i was looking at XMOD which has X-fi...but i am not sure if it bypasses the laptops soundcard?

Can someone tell me how is it compared Sound Blaster USB LIVE External???

I went to buy it at Creative Sale..but the guy said XMOD is 'as' good as soundcard...but when i asked him if it bypasses laptops soundcard..then he didnt know.

Jun 13, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 9
Well the lack of response suggests its a pathetic product for Wannabe Audiophiles?

or Bump!

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 9
I don't know that the XMOD actually has an X-Fi chip in it (even some of the X-Fi cards don't actually have the X-Fi chip). It has a low level DAC in it, and then it'll have Creative's software, such as the Crystalizer.

It should bypass the integrated sound of the laptop (you'll just have to make it the default audio device in Windows).

In my opinion unless it's ~$25, it wouldn't be worth it for me, and I'd rather put that money toward something better.

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the lack of response suggests its a pathetic product for Wannabe Audiophiles?

or Bump!

I think the lack of replies is because this question has been asked (more than 2 times by you), and answered (in several threads).

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the lack of replies is because this question has been asked (more than 2 times by you), and answered (in several threads).

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Yup, i am damn confused as to buy or not.

What i want is basically smthg to Bypass my laptop soundcard and give a little bit Amp also.

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 9
The XMOD bypass the laptop's sound card when it is plug and have XFI effect.
I saw you're looking for a DAC/Headamp in the Headamp section, for less than 200$.
You can consider seriously an iBasso D2 BOA if you don't want XFI's effects, I think it have a better sounding.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 9
Well i Bought it today....

What i can say is that the Low-bit-rate Mp3 songs are sound much much better than my crappy onboard soundcard.

For 320Kbps there is mild enhancement and with CMDSS-3D...the Soundstage is coming out well.

Although there are many better DACs out there but X-Fi XMOD is good for Mp3 songs

due to its low price u dont mind having it ..

but you wont notice big improvement on non-mp3 songs or if u have Amps.

Some quick observations:
1. The Lowest frequencies which are usually very sublte & dull appear richer & louder.

2. The Bass on Trance tracks is balanced out when connected via Speakers.

3. CMSS-3D is NOT recommended for Headphones IMO...more for speakers.

4. Pink Floyd - Another brick in the wall (alternate version)
The gunshots appear at 4 spots instead of 2 when CMSS-3d is enabled... which means the Soundstage is slightly increased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back