XM4 vx ibasso D2 vs mini 3
Sep 4, 2008 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

my.self

500+ Head-Fier
the title says it. which one of those 3 do u think will suit my hd595's well? at the moment i have a bithead but i dont really see a difference in them. im trying to sell it.

Things i would like in a portable amp:

1. increased bass quality/volume/punch/tightness
2. sound quality in general, better sound quality as in depth, soundstage etc. just to really bring my hd595's to full potential.

On with concerns/comments with each amp:

XM4
1. good price, 135.
2. i probably would get the lithium fast charge which is 22 bucks and then w/ shipping which is 7. making total 164
3. has bass boost which interests me. anyone know how much bass improvement?
4. battery is rechargeable
5. 1/8" to 1/8" cable is INCLUDED
6. i DO NOT HAVE a mini to mini cable
7. what is this AD8620 chip that costs 17 bucks.

iBasso D2
1. 165 WITHOUT shipping
2. has nice looks
3. no bass boost
4. does NOT include mini to mini cable, purchase seperatley for 30 bucks!
5. possibly a bit expensive
6. battery rechargeable

mini3
1. price doesnt seem to be to high
2. i CANNOT assemble myself
3. site is somewhat unclear on what it comes with, but thats understandable since the site is made for a "make your own" project.
4. no cable etc.
5. have to wait so someone can build it (i see the list of builders)
6. i have heard that mini3 really appeals to rock and bass lovers.

ALSO...theres always the penguin amp caffeine which i never had that costs 65-70 bucks and it has bass boost.

please comment! ur help is very much appreciated

as of now...the xm4 seems most reasonable but i wanna hear ur guys's responses.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 8
I have the XM4. It's not bad. I used it as a home amp at work for a while. For me, it doesn't work as a portable amp because it's just too loud. I listen at very low levels, so it's just too much for me with sensitive IEMs. It will probably be OK with the HD595 although I don't think I drove anything with it that was less than 120 Ohms.

The bass boost doesn't do too much IMO. It's subtle.

I have the AD8620, but it's too subtle of a change for me. By the time I open the case, swap the op amps and close the case, I don't remember how it sounded before enough to tell any difference. It's definitely not a night and day difference.

What's your source. If it's an iPod, you don't want a mini to mini but a line out dock cable

Unless you're going to use them as a portable, you are better off getting a home amp to get the full potential out of the HD595.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the XM4. It's not bad. I used it as a home amp at work for a while. For me, it doesn't work as a portable amp because it's just too loud. I listen at very low levels, so it's just too much for me with sensitive IEMs. It will probably be OK with the HD595 although I don't think I drove anything with it that was less than 120 Ohms.

The bass boost doesn't do too much IMO. It's subtle.

I have the AD8620, but it's too subtle of a change for me. By the time I open the case, swap the op amps and close the case, I don't remember how it sounded before enough to tell any difference. It's definitely not a night and day difference.

What's your source. If it's an iPod, you don't want a mini to mini but a line out dock cable

Unless you're going to use them as a portable, you are better off getting a home amp to get the full potential out of the HD595.

im gonna be using a zen vision M

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 8
The XM4 doesn't have a DAC either. Almost all PDPs, including the Zen, don't have digital out though so that's not an issue. However, a line out cable is a must. You might hear a difference with the Bithead with a line out instead of amping the headphone out. Not that I've heard the Bit Head, but that was my experience with my first amp, iBasso T1, amping the iPod headphone out. There was a noticeable difference between amping the headphone out and line out

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 8
danthemiataman, i believe ur selling ur d2 boa. check ur thread. i COULD go buy a higher quality cable from the xm4 website. they sell the cable seperatley for 24 bucks shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back