XM PCR w/ Micro DAC?
Dec 11, 2005 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pete7

Headphoneus Supremus
I 'm getting a Micro DAC and an Emu404 to replace my crappy Audigy 2ZS in a few days and I'm curious as to whether or not I could use the optical out to run satellite radio from XM PCR through the MicroDAC, and if so would it be worth it? I've got like 450 albums in my music library, so I've no shortage of music, but the idea of satellite radio running from the computer through the DAC intrigues me a bit. I've read some people claim the sound quality from XM PCR is on a par with CD quality, but don't understand how this could be because in the portable satellite radio models the sound quality is deemed "not as good as Ipod". XM PCR is still available on Ebay and the XMFan website. There's also a souped-up version with an optical out that supposedly has even better sq, I think it's called DirectPCR. Can anyone help me out?

Dec 11, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 6
There's zero possibility the XM (or Sirius) signal is of CD, FM or even 128 kbps MP3 quality. The signal is just too over compressed (I think around 32 kbps AAC+ with XM - it would only take bumping up to 48 to be "good enough" IMO).

As for outputting a digital optical signal to a DAC (in your mentioned method or the home Polk), it may indeed improve the output quality, but I think it's really important to temper your expectations. It has to improve the quality a lot to warrant a DAC purchase and I doubt that with the source signal.

Coming Christmas I already know I'll be getting a Sirius radio (because of content I prefer it over XM, though XM has its strengths). It will be my third time trying satellite radio. Every time I lower my expectations and still decide it's not worth it (outside of possibly car use). I hope it sticks this time (I'm craving a source for new content and internet radio just isn't there yet though it's getting closer), but I say again get your expectations in check.

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 6
What if the satellite signal ran from the XM receiver to the computer sound card via toslink cable? There's a pirated version of XM PCR called DirectPCR that actually has this capablility which is what I was considering getting. Of course then I'd have to use coaxial to the DAC with the Emu 404. All my albums are 352kbps Atrac Plus so the sound quality still probably wouldn't be near as good. I just thought maybe satellite radio would mix things up a bit, but if the sq isn't close, I'll just put the library on all-tracks shuffle, or do that by genre. Sometimes I get bored of listening to my music by individual album.

Dec 29, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 6
I have the XMPCR setup sold through www.xmfan.com in my office at work. I use the XtremePCR software to control the channels I listen to. The XMPCR has a digital optical out that I conect to a Waveterminal U24 DAC. The sound is surprisingly good although I don't do critical listening at work. My office setup includes a Marantz PM 17 MKII Integrated amp and Optimus 5 speakers. You've got to love commercial free music.

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 6
First and foremost, sat radio is about content not audiophile quality sound.

Second, If you can get your hands on an XMPCR, it can be mod'd to have an optical out.

I have an XMPCR (which I use in my office, analog out to computer spreakers, Bose MediaMate's) and I had a Roady (in the car and in the house), I always thought the XMPCR had better SQ.

I also have a Polk XM Tuner, I use the optical out to loudspeakers, it sounds very good, at times I'll also use the analog out of the Polk into a LaRocco PR2>HD555's and that sounds very good.

Is it CD quality??????? no, it's sat radio.

And I enjoy it all.

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 6
I have an XM pcr with optical output. The optical output will work with most any DAC with a toslink input. I have routed mine in through the optical input of my emu 1212m at the office. It works fine.

As for SQ, it is pathetic at best. Worse yet, the artifacts are spurious signals at just the right frequency to make my ears ring (I am not kidding about this). I did have some luck using the parametric eq in patchmix to kill the offending frequencies, but it was only a short term fix.

I have finally given up on satellite radio. It was an interesting but unfullfilling experience.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back