XLR vs. TRS
Aug 17, 2007 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Icithis

New Head-Fier
Dunno if this is more for the computer forum or this one, so I'll start here. My current setup:

2x Studiophile BX8 monitors
1x Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
2x 1/4" mono TRS cables running to..
1x 2 1/4" mono female to 1 3.5mm stereo male Y splitter

First question is that I'm guessing I'm losing some quality somewhere along the line, and wondering if there's a better way around this than buying a receiver. Second is that I'm having difficulty figuring out if XLR is really 'that' much better than TRS, unless a certain amount is spent. Third, I need a receiver which has XLR out (twice) and I'm not having much luck there either. Trying to get the most out of these speakers, and again I'm pretty sure the bottleneck is elsewhere.

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icithis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunno if this is more for the computer forum or this one, so I'll start here. My current setup:

2x Studiophile BX8 monitors
1x Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
2x 1/4" mono TRS cables running to..
1x 2 1/4" mono female to 1 3.5mm stereo male Y splitter

First question is that I'm guessing I'm losing some quality somewhere along the line, and wondering if there's a better way around this than buying a receiver. Second is that I'm having difficulty figuring out if XLR is really 'that' much better than TRS, unless a certain amount is spent. Third, I need a receiver which has XLR out (twice) and I'm not having much luck there either. Trying to get the most out of these speakers, and again I'm pretty sure the bottleneck is elsewhere.

You need a new sound card, mate. Audigy has to go. Try one of the EMU cards or something similar. You would not believe the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back