XLR to TRS Use Adapter or not? + Cable Recommendations
May 14, 2007 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ldj325

500+ Head-Fier
I have two applications for a pair of balanced cable runs of about 30 ft.
On one end male XLRs are fine as it is a balanced amp, but the other end sometines it needs to be XLR and sometimes 1/4" TRS (DAC as well as decent quality recording hardware). It would be simpliest if I could just have a cord tremination in XLR and then use an TRS adapter when necessary. My concern is if there would be a lot of signal loss/noise with the adapter. The other option is to have a second pair of cables made that terminate directly to TRS. My system is pretty revealing, especially when using Ultrasone Edition 9s for monitoring, so I want good sound quality. Any advice?

Currently I have some Canare Star Quad cable that could go towards building these cables. But, as my system can tend towards the bright side, is there another affordable (say under $2 foot or less) balanced cable recommendation that would tone down the brightness a little? And does anyone know where the Canare Star Quad falls on the "brightness scale"?

May 14, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 6
I really don't think you need to worry about signal degradation if you build a short XLR to TRS adapter. As infinitesymphony mentioned, TRS plugs are balanced plugs (Tip +, Ring -, Sleeve ground) so no worries there. An adapter isn't going to change your sound sig especially if you use the Canare Star Quad you have.

So in short - you will have to make some other change to alter the brightness of your system. I would recommend building the adapter. It would be more convenient, no?

May 15, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Realistically the sheer length of the cables is more likely to cause a loss than adapters. I wouldn't worry about the adapters.

May 16, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 6
I am glad to hear that the adapters don't cause a significant degredation in SQ as it is easiest to deal with one physical cable.

Doews anyone else know how "bright" a cable the Star Quad is and is there is anythin else recommended for around the under $2 foot mark?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back