XLR to RSA Question
May 14, 2015 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bflat

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

I have a Gungnir DAC waiting for delivery of a Liquid Carbon amp. In the mean time, I only have portable DC powered amps and I can get by hooking up a simple RCA to mini cable. However, I happen to have an dual XLR to RSA adapter and tried that so I could get balanced out, but I am getting some buzzing noise due to the amp not being AC grounded. Any quick remedies anyone can suggest? If not, I'll just stick with unbalanced RCA.

Thanks!

May 15, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 8
The only info I could find on an 'RSA' connector:

"The Kobiconn Connector for Balanced Portable Amplifiers"
The Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline SR-71B
http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2011/12/kobiconn-connector-for-balanced.html

So isn't that an amp-out to headphone cable?
AC grounding is not part of a portable system problem.
Check shielding and mis-connections (or broken connections).

May 15, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 8
  The only info I could find on an 'RSA' connector:

"The Kobiconn Connector for Balanced Portable Amplifiers"
The Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline SR-71B
http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2011/12/kobiconn-connector-for-balanced.html

So isn't that an amp-out to headphone cable?
AC grounding is not part of a portable system problem.
Check shielding and mis-connections (or broken connections).

Thanks for the suggestion,

RSA is used for balanced input as well as output to headphones. I confirmed that my XLR adapter has no connections to the ground pin so I am stumped as to where the buzzing is coming from. When I go RCA, no buzzing. When I connect the RSA input to the balanced output of my DC powered DAP, also no buzzing.

I still think this is a grounding issue with the XLR to RSA adapter because when I ground myself to the Gungnir chassis while wearing my SE846 IEMs, the buzzing will go away, but come back immediately when I take my hand off the chassis.

May 15, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 8
A correctly designed balanced interconnect system has no ground connection, but it does have a shield connection which is connected to the chassis. Note that the circuit ground and the AC Safety Ground all also connected to the chassis, but each has a separate function. Balanced interconnects sometimes don't terminate the shield a the receive end of the cable and they work just fine.
We should note that some hi-fi manufactures just don't understand the 'pin #1 problem' and get it wrong.

Is there any info on using an RSA as an interconnect?
Is the XLR a 4 pin two channel connector?

May 15, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 8
  A correctly designed balanced interconnect system has no ground connection, but it does have a shield connection which is connected to the chassis. Note that the circuit ground and the AC Safety Ground all also connected to the chassis, but each has a separate function. Balanced interconnects sometimes don't terminate the shield a the receive end of the cable and they work just fine.
We should note that some hi-fi manufactures just don't understand the 'pin #1 problem' and get it wrong.

Is there any info on using an RSA as an interconnect?
Is the XLR a 4 pin two channel connector?

Thanks, The XLRs are 3 pin but I think your explanation settles it. I don't think RSA is ever used in an AC application so looks like I should just stick with RCA until my Liquid Carbon arrives. The adapter was actually designed for a balanced dual XLR headphone cable to single RSA so I don't think it works well as balanced line out to RSA input to a DC powered amp.

May 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 8
RSA is used for balanced input as well as output to headphones. I confirmed that my XLR adapter has no connections to the ground pin so I am stumped as to where the buzzing is coming from. When I go RCA, no buzzing. When I connect the RSA input to the balanced output of my DC powered DAP, also no buzzing.

It really depends on the equipment. Some gear you can do just pins 2 and 3 and get awa with it. With others, they need pin 1 connections to avoid noise. Technically pin 1 is shield, not ground. But some manufacturers connect their circuit reference grounds to it. Google "pin 1 problem" for more information on this.

The Kobiconn connector has just four pins for both channels, so it's impossible to have a pin 1 connection which makes it unsuitable for use as a proper balanced line level input with certain gear. It's fine for use as a headphone output however as there are no ground loop issues there.

se

May 15, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 8
It really depends on the equipment. Some gear you can do just pins 2 and 3 and get awa with it. With others, they need pin 1 connections to avoid noise. Technically pin 1 is shield, not ground. But some manufacturers connect their circuit reference grounds to it. Google "pin 1 problem" for more information on this.

The Kobiconn connector has just four pins for both channels, so it's impossible to have a pin 1 connection which makes it unsuitable for use as a proper balanced line level input with certain gear. It's fine for use as a headphone output however as there are no ground loop issues there.

se

Thanks Steve!

Always a great day when I learn something new.

May 15, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks Steve!

Always a great day when I learn something new.

You're quite welcome. Though of course it depends on exactly what it is you've learned. Not every new thing I've learned has resulted in a great day, but we won't go there. :D

Have a great weekend!

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back