XLR to RCA Conversion - Is There a Point?
Mar 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vberch

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Meridian 508.20 (has both XLR's and RCA's) and an amp that has an RCA input only.

Would there be an advantage to having an IC with an XLR out (From Meridian)and RCA in (to MPX3) or should I just connect it with an RCA to RCA IC?

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 12
If the investment is not killing you, you could simply get a pair of XLR to cinch adaptors and listen for yourself. Technically there should be no benefit provided the maker of the source put equal effort in both outputs. Nevertheless, I found that with my AQVOX the XLR sounds marginally better through my Stax than the RCA out. A little fuller with better bass contour. Not in any way better as to really justify the effort, yet as I use both outputs at the same time to feed different amps/speakers that all just have RCA-in those adaptors are quite handy.

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the investment is not killing you, you could simply get a pair of XLR to cinch adaptors and listen for yourself. Technically there should be no benefit provided the maker of the source put equal effort in both outputs. Nevertheless, I found that with my AQVOX the XLR sounds marginally better through my Stax than the RCA out. A little fuller with better bass contour. Not in any way better as to really justify the effort, yet as I use both outputs at the same time to feed different amps/speakers that all just have RCA-in those adaptors are quite handy.

It could be because the xlr jack is a physically superior connection to the rca.
However, using the adapters should offset that. Maybe a little extra gain from 110 ohm out to a 75 (or less) ohm in.

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 12
They should sound the same. There are cases that the XLR jacks are better but in theory if they follow the same circuit they sound the same.
You can use it though to hook two amps to your source if you want. One gets connected through a rca-rca and the other amp with rca-xlr.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 12
I've tried this,xlr -> rca adaptor -> amp sounded the same as rca -> amp.
Now I use rca to an amp and xlr -> rca adaptor -> rca Y cable -> 2.1 noname pc speakers/sub.

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vberch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would there be an advantage to having an IC with an XLR out (From Meridian)and RCA in (to MPX3) or should I just connect it with an RCA to RCA IC?

No, there wouldn't be any advantage. XLR is a balanced connector. The advantage of a balanced connector is less noise interference through the use of CMR (common mode rejection) circuitry. If you use an RCA connector at one end of the cable you are bypassing the balancing circuitry in the XLR connector in the unit and therefore not getting any of the benefits of using an XLR balanced line in the first place. You would be better off just using the RCA connectors in the first place.

G

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 12
There can be advantages depending on design. Some sources are fully differential to the xlrs, then use a chip to sum the result. Some sources are single ended to the rca outs, then use a chip to balance the outputs. In either of these cases, it's possible to do a better job on the conversion from one to the other. Whether a simple cable would be an improvement is an exercise in listening.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 12
Thank you guys!

May 3, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 12
On a similar note, theoretically speaking, would there be a point in running a rig entirely balanced except switch to SE at the end?

I ask because I am planning on getting a Bel Canto DAC 3, and go balanced from that to the Luxman P1, which has balanced inputs. However, the P1 only has SE outputs.

What do you guys think?

May 3, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a similar note, theoretically speaking, would there be a point in running a rig entirely balanced except switch to SE at the end?

I ask because I am planning on getting a Bel Canto DAC 3, and go balanced from that to the Luxman P1, which has balanced inputs. However, the P1 only has SE outputs.

What do you guys think?

Sure there is. You are getting a balanced signal from your dac to your amp, so that part of the chain is optimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back