XLR to RCA adaptor for AQVOX DAC? Worth it? What to get?
Jun 18, 2006 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Oliver :)

Headphoneus Supremus
I wonder whether it would be worth it to feed my unbalanced SRM-252A from the balanced output of my AQVOX USB2 D/A. Would this be beneficial or rather pointless? I've seen very nice XLR->RCA cables in another thread again, yet I already have very nice RCA ICs. So I think I would be better off getting an XLR (female) to RCA (female) adaptor. A nice one of course
evil_smiley.gif
But being the balanced ignoramus that I am - which one? The manual states I need a pinout of

Pin 1 = Earth
Pin 2 = + Signal / non inverted
Pin 3 = - Signal / inverted

I'd be thankful for your input
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 5
Reviving my own dead thread, I come across the XLR lust again.

I have found the Neutrik NA2FPMF. The description says it works according to IEC 268-12: Pin 2 = Signal, Pin 1 und 3: connected to ground. This is pretty much the only type of decent XLR female->cinch female adaptor I see available.

Is anyone using my kind of setup? I would rather not want to fry my DAC or the stats... but it is a shame to have the XLR potential there unused...
frown.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 5
To answer your original question: It's POINTLESS!
Feeding an unbalanced input with a "balanced" output isn't possible! By shorting pins 1 & 3, you've just disabled the balanced signal (you've sent the *inverted* "mirror" part of the signal to ground). Don't waste your time...

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 5
Well, despite your warnings I got myself two of the described Neutriks
wink.gif
I cannot say whether it makes much of a difference, yet I think (welcome to Placebo, USA) the bass is a hint faster and less boomy. Is it €20 better? I don't care, honestly
cool.gif
The adaptors allow me to hook up my desktop speakers directly to the AQVOX without using the loop-out on the SRM-252A, and that counts as an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back