Xlr quality and USB connectivity from Mac to mixer
Jan 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

YakAttack

New Head-Fier
I have a Mac Pro, Numark 4Track Midi Mixer (4 channel), and a couple of accessories (f1 kontrol and midi fighter 3d). I have krk second generation 5" monitors with a krk 10s sub. A high speed USB hub that connects the mixer, accessories and hard drive together into the Mac.

I would like to know if there's much difference in types of xlr's in terms of quality of sound. Distance is small (home use). I heard many xlr's do pretty much the same thing and only issue is quality of shielding. Anything else I should know of preferred industry brands?

Also, since my mixer is talking to traktor via the USB, is there any add ons that could improve the connection or upgraded USB 's that could help with the sound going out to my monitors?

Thank you in advance

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #2 of 3
Not even shielding makes much difference when you're operating with balanced connections. Use whatever physically suits your needs (flexibillity, thickness, durability etc.)

Can't help you with your second question, I'm afraid.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 3
As in the above post, in short runs there's not much technical difference.
But for doing concert hall recordings with 100 meter mic cables, you want good technical quality balanced interconnect cables.
It takes big expensive machines and a good quality control department to make good cables. So stick with major cable manufactures like Belden and Mogami.

Jim Brown has several papers on balanced mic cables.
See:
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back