XLR cables - kind request of recommendation.
Apr 28, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #16 of 30
  A couple of final points:

1. The Amazon prices quoted are per individual cable (these are intended primarily as microphone cables after all). Believe it or not, when I first ordered I had blindly assumed all audio cables came in pairs, so I had to order twice. Doh! Luckily the postage was free anyway, so it didn't cost any extra,

2. Even at this low price, I found that the cables benefited from some burn-in (100 hours should do it) to remove a slight trace of brightness when first played. Some say this very idea is rubbish and they are entitled to think what they like. For me, subtle differences do matter.

Hi !  thanks a lot again for the very helpful advice
I believe you are quite right about the burn in and i think that this is one of my worst limit ... patience.
I have the feeling to have swapped cables before they were fully burnt-in.  In some cases this can be a lenghty process indeed.
In general all the playback system elements need sometime to "settle-down" in some way.
A system sounds better after some weeks of continuos use.
Problem is that time is a limited resource.  I am always in a hurry.
This is an hobby for retired people, i am sure of this
Thanks a lot again.  I will try the Karbocab for sure.
Kind regards,  gino

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #17 of 30
Microphone cables are a sub-set of balanced interconnect cables.
They are optimized for:

a] Robustness, as they take a lot of abuse on a stage.
b] Flexibility.
c] Low self noise from handling.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #18 of 30
  Microphone cables are a sub-set of balanced interconnect cables.
They are optimized for:

a] Robustness, as they take a lot of abuse on a stage.
b] Flexibility.
c] Low self noise from handling.

Hi and thanks for the advice
do you mean that cables for mics are not suitable for line level applications ?
I see the microphone use as more demanding
Maybe wrongly
Thanks again,   gino

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #20 of 30
Hi and thanks for the explanation.
In the meantime i have read also in this forum a very famous recording engineer recommending digital AES/EBU also for analog signals.
The choice is endless ...
Kindest regards,  gino

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #21 of 30
Very true, cables that are optimized for digital AES/EBU (which has both a Shielded Twisted Pair & a coax standard) are often also very good for analog audio.
Belden 1800F Balanced Audio Cable (AES/EBU, low-capacitance, high-flex cable) is one such cable.

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #22 of 30
  Very true, cables that are optimized for digital AES/EBU (which has both a Shielded Twisted Pair & a coax standard) are often also very good for analog audio.
Belden 1800F Balanced Audio Cable (AES/EBU, low-capacitance, high-flex cable) is one such cable.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very valuable advice.
As a curiosity i wonder if there is a way to assess the quality of a AES/EBU cable with lab instruments.
I mean, in a very objective way.
I think that this could end all the discussion about cables sound, at least for balanced connections.
A cable like the Belden you mention could very well be the cable for all seasons ... very very handy. No more messing with cables from different manufacturers.
However i have received an old order of Sommercable Binary.
It sounds ok to me but i will try the Belden you mention. I have seen also a nice one from Gotham on ebay.com.
Thanks a lot again,  gino

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #23 of 30
  As a curiosity i wonder if there is a way to assess the quality of a AES/EBU cable with lab instruments.
I mean, in a very objective way.
I think that this could end all the discussion about cables sound, at least for balanced connections.

It's more likely to open up a can of worms and endless circular debates :wink:

It's been done to death over at the Sound Science forum, with entrenched opinions, much insults and no one getting out alive.

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #24 of 30
While this article is mostly about coax digital cables, it gets into what is technically required inr a good cable.

"Digital Cables and Analog Cables--What's the Difference?"

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/digitalanalog.htm

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #25 of 30
  While this article is mostly about coax digital cables, it gets into what is technically required inr a good cable.

"Digital Cables and Analog Cables--What's the Difference?"

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/digitalanalog.htm

Hi and thanks a lot ... and these are the requirements
Very important of course
But how the cable manufacturers/users assess that the requirements are fullfilled ?   by ear ?
this is a joke of course ...
I think that in the end a good signal generator and a scope can tell lot of things.
For instance, i do not know if the spdif signal is a square wave .... to look how the initial square wave with similar Hz is deformed by the cable could be a good way to test it.
Once selected an excellent digital cable the same can be used with success also for analog duties.  It seems that simple in the end.
But i am not an expert.
Thanks again,  gino

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #26 of 30
And a blog on using digital cables for analog."

"Using Digital Audio Cable For Analog Audio"

Posted by: Steve Lampen on May 10, 2012

http://www.belden.com/blog/broadcastav/Using-Digital-Audio-Cable-For-Analog-Audio_301156.cfm

Just try telling the quality control department that they have to check many miles of cable by ear each day.

May 1, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #27 of 30
  And a blog on using digital cables for analog."

"Using Digital Audio Cable For Analog Audio"

Posted by: Steve Lampen on May 10, 2012
http://www.belden.com/blog/broadcastav/Using-Digital-Audio-Cable-For-Analog-Audio_301156.cfm

Just try telling the quality control department that they have to check many miles of cable by ear each day.

Hi ! thank you sincerely for the extremely valuable link indeed !!!
I am sold now on this solution of digital cables also for analog duties and completely convinced by the arguments.
Unfortunately this article comes a little late. If only i had found it earlier i would have indeed saved money and headache.
This is indeed a milestone of an article and coming from a professional of a Brand that i highly respect.
Issue closed.
From now on i will only use digital cables for everything, from balanced to unbalanced connection.
I am convinced now. Better late than never.
Thanks again for the very precious advice.
Kindest regards,  gino

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #28 of 30
I do believe this is a thread worth keeping alive

The reason why cables are priced and marketed differently - and this is how it pretty much is in every industry - is that most companies will price their cable roughly and largely to its sound quality in comparison to competiting products.

Carbokab 7,50 per Meter
Albedo 6,40 per Meter
CGK 74 3,00 per Meter

The Carbokab is the TOP-OF-THE-LINE Mic cable by Sommer. These cables, just like the mildly inferior Albedo are all well made for soldering yourself. They were created to be on par with Vovox, but have less negative side effects like missing shielding and stiffness; BUT also don't sound as good.

Now...since digital signals are transmitted somewhere higher up in the spectrum (several MHz); AND we know higher frequencies travel rather on the surface of the copper/silver, on the Vovox and Carbokab, they found they could lessen jitter and clean up the high end frequencies by polishing the surface.

Concluding...I do agree. Cables make a big difference. Period.

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #29 of 30
I do believe this is a thread worth keeping alive

The reason why cables are priced and marketed differently - and this is how it pretty much is in every industry - is that most companies will price their cable roughly and largely to its sound quality in comparison to competition products.

Once we get above the price of cables from the excellent bulk cable manufactures (like Belden, Mogami and Canare) it's because the audiophile market will bare a higher price (if not demand it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back