XLR Cables and rust... can anyone help?
Feb 24, 2010 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sokolov91

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I purchased a pair of Bogdan Audio Goldie XLR cables directly from Ben of bogdan audio off audiogon a few months back. Unfortunately my speakers were too sensitive to handle the gain boost my preamp gave while in balanced.

I decided to see for myself with my set up if the sound actually changed at all with cables, because I am considering recalling a headphone, and low and behold I noticed that there is this green stuff on the thing to release the XLR plug. Then I noticed this same green stuff is on all of the connection pins. WTH. I paid a pretty steep price (by my standards) for this cable.. and it has CORRODED connectors? Really wants to make me open it up and see if the rest is ok...

Now, the cables have been in a sealed ziplock bag since I got them, after one connection attempt. So this is not on my end. Not to mention it is winter here in Canada, and it is VERY dry in my house. I have chapped hands all the time. So even the weather will back up my claims.

Is there anyway I can clean this without risking damaging the rest of the interconnect? It is the only balanced one I have.

This was noticed a bit too late past the purchase date, so I am sure it won't be replaced, but I did send Ben an email to see he has comments or a solution.

I just wish I had paid more attention rather than just storing it after I found it would not work out for me at that point in time.

I hate to start another "PLEASE HELP" thread, but I have started posting review... so I feel less guilty
wink.gif

Thanks in advance

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 3
WOW,

Ben truly is a gentleman... he responded to my email within 5 minutes, and here is what he had to say:

"I'm sorry about that Alex. The cables and connectors are brand new but oxidation on XLR pins are triggered by silicon which I've used over soldering for security purpose.
Please return the cables and I will reterminate them or send you new pair.
I will also refund your shipping cost for returning cables.
Regards
Ben.
bogdanaudio"

So this really is not a problem at all, and I really should have waited for his response before assuming the worst. I just made an ass out of myself :p.

Other than this, the cables are top notch and hand made. Very nice looking too.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 3
I thought of using bathroom silicon to keep soldering intact.

Never tried it because my soldering broke before I could try it (hacked ipod cable into line in dock to replace headphone jack).

Most cable companies are good that way, Cardas replaced my second hand cable no questions asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back