XLD Secure Rip Sound Quality
Jul 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rruffin

New Head-Fier
Hi y'all. I am somewhat new to secure ripping, but have been using XLD software on my Mac for a few months to rip CD's into Apple Lossless format for playing in iTunes.

When I compare the sound of XLD ripped music to iTunes ripped music (Apple Lossless format), the bottom end is much more pronounced when using XLD - in a high quality way. However, the midrange becomes recessed (not so much a problem) and the sonic image quality changes; it is much less lively.

I realize that saying that the sonic stereo image is less lively or vivid may not be the kind of language (or issue) that y'all deal with in this forum, but I thought that I should at least try to find someone who has used XLD on a Mac who might be able to help me find the best way to create a hard drive based library.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 3
If you listen to a bit perfect copy of a music file there is no difference regardless wether the file was created with this or that software.

The X Lossless Decoder should (that statement is based on googled information - i've never used the software myself) produce good, that is accurate resulst, if set up in the right way (!).

Further there is no way that inaccurate ripping will produce changes in soundsignature like you describe:
Quote:

When I compare the sound of XLD ripped music to iTunes ripped music (Apple Lossless format), the bottom end is much more pronounced when using XLD - in a high quality way. However, the midrange becomes recessed (not so much a problem) and the sonic image quality changes; it is much less lively.

be sure to play both files in the same player with same settings, even better do a propper ABX test to find peace of mind - there is no difference, there is no way that there is a difference like you described.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back