Xin's back in development mode.. again
Nov 3, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #31 of 45
It seems in LE one cannot use the opamps and buffers which need higher voltages! I suppose OP275, OPA2134, H-BUF634 and Ha5002 cannot be used then. Isn't that so GOTO? Buffer used LMH6643? And OpAMPs are AD8656, AD8616 and AD8397?

Nov 3, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

The new SuperMacro-LE, a low impedance/voltage edition of SuperMacro-IV. It uses 4 AAA instead of 8 and is added with a 15,000uF ultra low impedance power filter. The lower voltage allows you to use many new 5.5V tube-alike OPAMPs, such as AD8656, AD8616 etc. However, it cannot use those OPAMPs/buffers that require higher voltage to operate. If you own a SuperMacro-IV and like this edition, updating is free. As always, airmail is free and you may paypal extra fee to x@fixup.net for faster/securer mail($5 prioirty, $10 registered and $20 express). Your old AC adapter can still be used, but make sure to set it to 6V (not 12V!). DR XIN XIN FORUM

As I thought the upgrade is free! Now I am wondering whether to get the LE version? It will limit the number of OPAMP options! 6V of headroom!
Wait till comparisons appear between 8AAA Low impedance amp and 4AAA LE version?????

Nov 3, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #33 of 45
I wonder if Dr. Xin can upgrade the older Supermacro 3V6 to the new "LE" version as well. I will send him an email...but know how busy he is I don't expect an answer back from him any time soon. Does any one know?

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #34 of 45
well I for one am waaay over the long wait. Ordered mine in mid Aug and have yet to hear word ONE from Dr. Xin despite several emails and filling out the "form" on his webpage. So yesterday, I filled out the form again cancelling the order, sent the same message via fax and the same message via regular mail.

Unfortunately, I took his website at its word in Aug that there ws a 3 week delivery date and used Paypal. so the good dr. has 380 bucks of mine and am awaiting some kinda reply.

So far, notword one.

heckuva way to run a business. The amp may be magical, but I would prefer better delivery and communication over magic

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

However, it cannot use those OPAMPs/buffers that require higher voltage to operate.

what are considered high voltage opamps? can someone provide a list? also, does that mean that we can't do stacked buffers?

Nov 3, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #36 of 45
I guess so in new LE having only voltage headrrom of 6V! Thats why I am wondering to get LE or low impedance 8AAA version!!!

Nov 3, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama
As I thought the upgrade is free! Now I am wondering whether to get the LE version? It will limit the number of OPAMP options! 6V of headroom!
Wait till comparisons appear between 8AAA Low impedance amp and 4AAA LE version?????

I'm considering waiting until the dust settles before sending my amp back in / making a decision which path to take. So that would be a Yes to, "Wait till comparisons appear between 8AAA Low impedance amp and 4AAA LE version?"

On another note: IMO, it's very tough to beat Dr. Xin's upgrade policy. I know I've had to do some waiting once in a while for things to shake out as Xin try's to get the last 0.000000000x out of a change, but for me that uncertainty imitates other facets of life and the wait has been well worth it. Others don't seem to have the patience, which is ok for me as it shortens the waiting queue.

Nov 3, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1
well I for one am waaay over the long wait. Ordered mine in mid Aug and have yet to hear word ONE from Dr. Xin despite several emails and filling out the "form" on his webpage. So yesterday, I filled out the form again cancelling the order, sent the same message via fax and the same message via regular mail.

Unfortunately, I took his website at its word in Aug that there ws a 3 week delivery date and used Paypal. so the good dr. has 380 bucks of mine and am awaiting some kinda reply.

So far, notword one.

heckuva way to run a business. The amp may be magical, but I would prefer better delivery and communication over magic

This is the typical story. I waited just over 2 months for my SuperMini IV and now I'm in the waiting game all over again. I see that you have a few amps(even a Xin)...why not just wait out the last week or so, unless you need the money of course.

It does suck but unfortunately this is how the mad doctor does business
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #39 of 45
sorry, should've updated my profile, but sold the Portaphile and the SM III V6. So now down to the Total Airhead which, in my imgination, is sounding better all the time. PLUS, I think I'm sticking with IEMs on a permanent basis. Plus I have no interest in all the opamp changing and such. So maybe Ray's Tomahawk is in the offing???

As a small business owner, it is my heartfelt opinion that if I treated my customers with no responses, no correspondences, etc. I wouldn't be in business too long. Genius or not, communication is vital in the retail world.

here it is lacking

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1
I wouldn't be in business too long. Genius or not, communication is vital in the retail world.

here it is lacking

Xin has never been difficult with cancellation.. Order cancellation brings a smile to my face, as my order (since Aug23) will come faster..

guess i'm happy to be a customer to a mad scientist with bad business skills (as some people may say)..there are options of course.. RAy?..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #41 of 45
This newest development has thrown me off quite a bit. I hope mine will have the power supply changed to the lower impedance, even if it is not an LE.

Nov 4, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #42 of 45
Nobody was happy with the communicaiton with Xin recently. Yet it's not true that he was not responsive, and it's unlikely to be in the future. I think the development of the IV amps has come to an end as Xin was to make amps top of the world and he has made it, imho. it's the cost for him to bear to compromise customer service while focusing on R&D, a good thing for the long run. Of coures, he could have done better if he has better communication skills and marketing skills. Another problem he has is too many orders. I would be very disapointed if he decides to get out of the business some day when he gets tired of making amps. But seems it would take quite a while for him to do so. After all he has to fullfil the stacked orders first. Just my two cents.

Nov 4, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #43 of 45
GOTO have you heard LE yet?
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Basically LE is a larger version of SuperMicro-IV and SuperMini-IV, offering the features of SuperMacro-IV which is its own. LE cannot use many OPs/Bufs that SM-IV can, but it can use many OPs that SM-IV cannot.

XIN

IMGP2485.JPG

Supermacro LE is not a replacement for SMIV. Its simply another model with OPAMP capabilities of Supermini (Low voltage 6V) and external switches\fast charging of SMIV combined.

Quote:

The ultra low power impedance is a good thing to many new popular cans which are very low impedance, such as Grado, Shure, Westones, UE...

It seems Dr.XIN had low impedance cans in mind when developing SMLE!! Any way one cannot use OP275, OPA2134, AD627 like OPAMPS with SMLE. It uses 4AAAs (4.8V) to boost 6V of supply voltage. Under this voltage H.BUF634, stacked or not, HA5002 like buffers are also not possible!
For high impedance cans like HD650 may like SMIV than SMLE for its more headroom and OPAMP capabilities, whiCh suit high R cans. BTW new SMIV seems to have a physical protection for polarity reversal prevention of batteries and its power supply does not have diode + FETs eXcept one. So its power supply also has very low impedance!

I reckon SMLE seems to more suitable for low impedance cans like IEMs. SMIV may be better for large high impedance cans for its more headroom.

I might stick to SMIV after all the new upgrades as I later may add a Supermini too to my ever growing collection of gear!

Nov 4, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #45 of 45
3h3ads: just hope you're right about the cancellations "Contacted" him via email, fax, and written letter via postal service of my desire to cancel and ask for Paypal refund. This was on Thrusday A.M. To date, no response. Will give him another couple days before I contact Paypal for their intervention

As I believe I stated earlier, my stupidity in (1) believing his website on a 3-week delivery and (2) paying via Paypal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back