Xindak DAC3 MkII
Sep 20, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 10
I own this and it sounds good for my ear.
If you do search, you will find my post.

I can't give review as this is the only dac i own. On the other thread, i mentioned that the high is not enough but I was wrong. the problem is in my amp. now i'm a happy chap. i would say go ahead. we need other dac in headfi than zhaolu
340smile.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, I'll look up your review.

I tend to use my hardware for years & unlikely to mod, so tend to prefer something by more established companies like Cayin, Shanling & Xindak etc if i'm going for Chinese made audio products.

They'll likely to have some form of QC to maintain consistency & reliability.

Sep 22, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 10
Glad to hear positive feedback for the Xindak. I was initially looking for the Stello DA100 - mainly due to positive reviews plus solid & compact build.

As I've just tried a friend's tube DAC with positive results, swaying a little to tube like LiteDAC 68 & the Xindak. The Xindak's fabrication looks great inside out - like the Stello.

However, Xindak cost less than LiteDAC, so I'm also wondering if the cost savings is due to economy of mass production or inferior component.

By the way, I'm using a 880(2006) thru a HA-01 (rolled with Mullard4004). The DAC I tried out is from Japan, ICL Model 2. http://www.icl.co.jp/audio/english/m2-1.htm

Except for the slightly suppressed extreme high freq & low bass output, the setup has really captivating & natural SQ. Highs were clear without frying my ears & mid is pure liquid - with good recording.

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 10
I was in your position too 3 months ago.
I go for Xindak for the look. the Lite series don't look professional, if you asked me. As I mentioned I don't have much money lying around to buy different dac and live in New Zealand don't help either.

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 10
The Litedac has performance credibility as they are specialized in DAC though. Too bad I have no way to audition them, as none of these models are sold where I live.

I'm still pondering between a tubed or solid state like the Stello. The lack of bass slam on typical tubed design is the only thing holding me back.

I've also considered upgrading to a 990 to get more bass too.

Sep 23, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 10
gen G,
I have been looking at the Xindak DAC. Also their Pre-amp looks very good as well.
This old chestnut about valved/tubed gear not having bass is complete bollocks. I have a SET h/amp the WAD MK1 which uses the Mullard ECL83 valve, coupled with Senn. HD600's/Cardas cable set this has real bass slam.

Headphony - it would be good for you to write a review on this DAC.

Stuart

Sep 23, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 10
My friend which loaned me the tube DAC and silver i/c just mentioned that his silver i/c is bass light, so that may have contributed partially to it.

His DAC also tend to emphasis the mids - so running these thru my SET amp may not be the best option.

Of course, I'm not sure if my 880 headphone is good with bass to begin with. Not sure if changing to 990 helps.

Will be great if I can get a setup with the lucious mids I'm getting with a bit more air on top and a solid bass - may have to pay a lot more though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back