Xin V6 Upgrade Options Confusion
Oct 16, 2005 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jxb2

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to order V6. If I return my current V3 with OP627 and 2x
buffer, do I need to reorder OP and buffer, or can the ones from my returned
unit be re-used in V6?

Also, how different is SQ from SA5534 and OP 627? I use E4P/S and listen to
wide variety of music, but "voice" of home system, my preference, is Senn 650's and Woo3.

So, really am asking two questions:

1. Will I like SA5534 better than 627?
2. If I want 627, can I use from existing V3 that I'll be returning as part
of Xin's deal?

Maybe a third question: when I first got into headphones a year ago, was very disappointed with Perreaux (older version) head amp. Now, trying it with Ety 4 P/S, and comparing to Xin V3, I THINK I hear a much wider soundstage and more authoratative bass from the Perreaux. Perhaps I don't trust my head phone assessment skills, but is above perception reasonable?

Joe

Thanks

Oct 17, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm pretty sure you don't have to return the opamps, but the buffers are soldered on-so unless you know how to remove them without doing damage, you'll have to return them. As to the difference between the 627 and 5534, my preference, and Xin's and the clear majority who have posted on Xin's site, is for the Onsemi SA 5534 output bypassed and Class A. There are some people who prefer the 627, so you will have to decide for yourself, but it doesn't sound like you are happy with the 627's. I think the 5534's in the above configuration have a much better soundstage than the 627's, which have imho one of the narrowest soundstages on the SM3. The 5534's are also considerabely more dynamic if you like that kind of sound. I find both opamps to have good bass in my setup, but if you don't put the 5534's in obca, I find the bass too loose and boomy. Another thing I found was that the 5534's are particularly sensitive to burn-in (not always for the better-depending what type you're using), so give them a while to settle down. You can get free samples from onsemi (you pay for postage only) so they are definitely worth a try. If you don't want to pay postage try the TI one's which are usually completely free. Xin thinks quite highly of them-but I think the Onsemis are still the most highly regarded. I haven't tried the TI's myself.
Another opamp I'd give a try for bass is the AD 797-great bass and very quiet but more laid back and inferior soundstage to ON SA 5534 OBCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back