Xin Supermicro thread...
Jan 7, 2004 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

3Double

100+ Head-Fier
I received my Supermicro last week, and I really like it.
My source is a Sony R50 and I'm using ER-4S's for cans.
As expected, the bass is more impactful and sits more evenly in the mix. Instrument seperation is better as well. I am really surprised at the increased levels of detail retrieval. It's really amazing. The amp is really quiet as well; the background is completely black at all safe listening levels.

Anyone else loving this amp? I doubt I've burned mine in yet, so I'll keep updating this thread as things progress.

I also ordered the mini to mini plug from Xin. It functions perfectly, but looks really cheaply made. The tape used to wrap the 90 degree plug wasn't put on evenly and it looks like it could come off quite easily. Oh well.

Jan 9, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 6
I got my Super Mini today and I immediately went to Radio Shack to pick up a 1/8" to 1/8" cable. Then I rigged it to my iPod's line out and plugged my Sennheiser HD 570 (I know, it's not a great headphone) in. I immediately noticed a difference, mainly a more vibrant bass and brighter vocals. Since this amp was previously owned, I assume it has been burned in. Overall I'm pleased with the Super Mini and I'm sure I'll enjoy it more with my Shure E3c's when they arrive at the end of the month (we Canadians don't get it as quickly unfortunately
frown.gif
).

Edit: removed an erroneous line.

Jan 9, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 6
Mister Big,
I'm confused by your statement regarding the volume on the iPod line-out. If you connected in via the line-out, which you'd want to do for the Super Mini or any amp, so as not to go through two amplifications, you have no volume adjustment capability. Line-out is fixed. If you were getting volume changes, you connected to the headphone out, which is not what you want.
Ted_B

Jan 10, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 6
For a true line-out without using the dock (still need a docking ipod,3rd gen), get this:

http://store.sik.com/merchant.mv?Scr...t_Code=03-1004

Just got mine the other day and yes, the volume on the ipod does not effect the signal. You only use the amp volume.

Jan 10, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by ted_b
Mister Big,
I'm confused by your statement regarding the volume on the iPod line-out. If you connected in via the line-out, which you'd want to do for the Super Mini or any amp, so as not to go through two amplifications, you have no volume adjustment capability. Line-out is fixed. If you were getting volume changes, you connected to the headphone out, which is not what you want.
Ted_B

Thanks for picking out my mistake Ted. I did connect the amp to the line out so the volume level on the iPod, like you said, has no significance. I was adjusting the volume through the volume control on the amp. Hope this clears things up

Jan 10, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 6
Mister Big,
Good, I'm glad. Don't be apologetic. It is not surprising the number of people (Headroom has done a great job getting headamp education out there, as has this forum, leading to more and more of the non-audiophile as well as audiophile market) who spend good $$ on an amp and then hook it up incorrectly. I was just making sure. The Xin products are wonderful and deserve a nice clean line-out.

Ted_B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back