Xin Supermicro or Supermini (Both IV)
Dec 15, 2006 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
I have made up my mind to go through the long "hibernation" wait and order an Xin amp. The problem is I can't decide which one between Supermicro and Supermini (price not an issue).

My goal is:
- Best synergy with Etymotic ER4P/S
- Driven by Rio Karma headphone out (-1db at 29/30 Vol for unannetuated output)
- Soundstage improvement for ER4

Now, I loved the thin profile of Supermini and that uber minimalistic profile, but I have come across some comments that Supermicro boast better headstage/soundstage which is very appealing.

Plz help. Thanks!

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 14
Hibernating, yeah, I like that term.

If price isn't an issue, get both.

If you decide to send one for repair or update, you'll still have one to use.

With Mini you can change opamps to tailor sound to your tastes and rig.

I will be ordering a Super Macro IV LE and Super Micro IV very soon, for a total of 3 Xin amps for me.

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 14
I misread title of thread.

Tough choice if just choosing one.

Portability vs. Features. Although Micro has been getting great reviews.

I read that Xin felt the Macro LE sounded as good as the Micro. That's why he made the LE in the first place.

I don't know how Mini sounds compared to Micro.

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, I loved the thin profile of Supermini and that uber minimalistic profile, but I have come across some comments that Supermicro boast better headstage/soundstage which is very appealing.

Read the posts on his forum (fixup.net), especially the ones about the updated power supply. While reading that, I came to the decision to change my order from a Super Mini to a Super Micro LE. It's supposed to be a better Super Micro. (Also, search for recent posts by "goto".)

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks guys. Just placed an order for a Supermicro. So the hibernation begins....see you again in the next two winters when I receive my Supermicro
etysmile.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 14
So Xin has got the issues with the Macro taken care of now? At least according to reviews around here, it seemed like he was having trouble with the Macro and getting it up to the quality of the Micro and Mini. Please post your impressions of the new Macro (and Macro LE as well) when you can. Thanks.

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. Just placed an order for a Supermicro. So the hibernation begins....see you again in the next two winters when I receive my Supermicro
etysmile.gif

2 winter?
why have to wait so long?
confused.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeah_guyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 winter?
why have to wait so long?
confused.gif

he's just being sarcastic. the usual wait is 2-3 months...

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 14
I sent my SM IV to Xin on Monday (12/11) for it's 18th upgrade/modification/tweak and to to be maxxed out (hope that's not painful!). I'll let everyone know when I get it back.

Dec 17, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 14
Well, just as not to be dissapointed, I have set the expectation that long because it will be a cancer to hope and see Mr Postman come knocking on my door with a small box
frown.gif
plainface.gif

Better let it go as it is and relax, let Dr.Xin conjure his magic on my amp and take all the time he need.

It wasn't easy for me to decide on a Xin amps, knowing that after sales service response is slow, but hey that does not mean that Dr Xin product is bad. I will wait for the right amp no matter how long it takes because I don't plan to upgrade anymore after this (well maybe a Supermini next for tweaking options). I had Go-Vibe V5 in mind too but then again I have not come across many comments on GV5 synergy with Etymotic ER4P/S, and I don't quite like the huge size which will only make my Rio Karma looked even bulkier. RSA Tomahawk is another option but that's a bit out of my budget for the moment and there's no solid testimonial yet with ER4P/S synergy (I do not doubt it will be as superb as a Xin too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back