Xin SuperMicro/Mini Competitors?
May 12, 2005 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

beckcommar

New Head-Fier
I'm still pretty new here, but I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

What portable amps compete with the SuperMicro/Mini? I've lots of things at similar pricepoints or with similar "sound quality" but I haven't seen anything that seriously competes in terms of size.

Is it really possible that no one else is making truly small amps?

Even at a higher price??

If not, why?

I guess I'm just suprised that, given the success of the iPod, there aren't more superportable amps.

BTW, I'm pretty happy with my SuperMini/Ety setup, but (I think this happens if you spend enough time at head-fi) I'm both itching to upgrade, but don't want to sacrifice size.

Wishful thinking I guess.

May 13, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Can I assume that (given the lack of responses so far) there are NO competitors in the category?

Really???

If someone who is more knowledgible than I could even chime in and confirm this with a quick "nope," I would really appreciate it.

May 13, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 9
I searched for quite a while looking for one, and never did find anything.

Xin makes a Kick ***** amp!

I love my micro and use it all the time. I'm not interested in anything else for the time being. It's everything I've ever wanted.

Rio Karma (FLAC/custom EQ settings/volume at 24) > Canare Starquad mini to mini > Xin Super Micro > Ety ER4-S > Foamies.

Good luck.

BILL

May 14, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 9
I don't think that Xin even makes amps that small anymore. From the looks of it, he doesn't seem to be interested in ever doing it, either. I would suggest reasons why no one is interested, but that would all be speculation, and from an un-informed onlooker, at that. So I won't.

EDIT: out of curiosity, if you like monkeys so much, then why do you have a cat for an avatar?

May 14, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by shimage
I don't think that Xin even makes amps that small anymore. From the looks of it, he doesn't seem to be interested in ever doing it, either. I would suggest reasons why no one is interested, but that would all be speculation, and from an un-informed onlooker, at that. So I won't.

Supermini-3 is next up for Xin.

May 14, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 9
What's the difference between the super mini and super macro other than size?

May 14, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gords
What's the difference between the super mini and super macro other than size?

Sound, features, and a couple hundred bucks.
wink.gif

May 14, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 9
Yes, he's using the same case (look at his site) for the new mini as the macro. He has also stated the new mini will be upgradable to the macro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back